Why are so many of MMA's top fighters in their late 20s and 30s?

There is something to great young fighters getting not getting their spots because they haven't "earned" it yet.

But it's not some sort of pandemic. You gotta put in the work, that's the path.

You may need time to refine your game, and get enough exposure to get a deal.

Young Canelo got handled by Mayweather. Canelo pushing 30 is in a whole different league from where he was.

MMA isn't like being a running back, they have to learn a lot more skills in a lot more disciplines and that takes a long time. MMA is also not something that most people do as children so they have to learn more and they generally start later. It's not that hard to figure out.

Absolutely. There are a ton of opportunities to get into youth (insert whatever team sport). MMA is something I've seen people pick up close to their 20s. Local MMA guys I know came from wrestling or boxing as a youth, then started training MMA close to their 20s. You then have to get trained, get ammy fights, turn pro and get a contract to be seen worldwide. That all takes time.

You may need time to refine your game, and get enough exposure to get a deal.

Young Canelo got handled by Mayweather. Canelo pushing 30 is in a whole different league from where he was.

Canelo was 23 when he fought Mayweather which according to TS is either an athletes prime or slightly past it.

Experience plus physical peak.

I'd say guys like Max Holloway, Conor McGregor, and Brian Ortega for example, who jumped right into the pros fairly young, as long as they don't eat too many shots and wear their chin out, will have their physical peak coincide fairly well with ample experience. Not all fighters can hit that.

This may be especially challenging for heavier fighters who seem to to knock each other out cold more often, and fighters under LW division, which require more speed and stamina.

Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance.

Max Holloway's age
Slightly OT, but I'm kinda shocked to learn that Holloway is only 26 o_O I would have guessed him to be at the very least 30...

As for TS's question: I agree with what's been said by several posters already: It probably plays a big part that MMA is a sport you tend to pick up rather late in life and has a lot of skills to learn.

Edit: And no, I don't think there's a lot of young guns out there that would easily beat the "old" fighters at the top if only given the chance.

In football (soccer), the best players are in their late 20’s early 30’s. And they play like 50 matches a year. Like someone else up here already said, it depends on what sport you do.

Skill level. It takes a long time to excel at striking, BJJ, and wrestling, all at the same time. And most guys don't start training until they are adults.

Actually guys generally get fast tracked to the top in MMA unlike the way they would in a sport like boxing.

Late 20's/early 30's has always been seen as an athlete's prime. Mostly because your physical skills are all at peak level, but you've also got a great deal of disclipline and experience by that point. Thus, you're at your peak.

I honestly believe that there are 23-27 year old guys out there that would destroy the champions at every weight class. They're just not on anyone's radar yet because they haven't had enough time to move up the rankings. I don't think the champions are really the "best" fighters in the world.

true this is a great point. It takes so god damn long to crack the top 10 in MMA let alone to get a title shot that just on average it seems the soonest most people make this top 10 is 27ish

It's alot to do with having the right amount of knowledge and wisdom with while still able to maintain a body fit that you can still fight anyone else despite age. People forget that your 30's your still young! Your only one notch above the 20's and honestly I believe there wrong when they say you go down hill @ 30. Your actually have as much muscle mass and strength that you will ever have in your life. The 30's is the prime decade.. your young and still have wisdom and knowledge of one's older .

Back