Why are so many mma fans obsessed/fixated on how much $ a fighter makes??

Yeah, that's what he meant, dummy. No middle ground whatsoever huh? It's either 6k/6k or 10 million. You're stupid...

If he's insinuating that JJ Watt isn't in the UFC because of the pay, why would it matter if the pay is 6/6 (which is way lower than the UFC's actual base pay) or 50k or 250k or 500k or 5 million?

JJ Watt makes 16 million dollars a year to play football, but that's not the reason JJ Watt plays football. He plays football because he loves playing football more than he loves to breath. Ask him. He'll tell you that.

Its the same reason that fighters fight. Because they love it. They could give a shit about entertaining you or me.

Hey TS, nobody EVER bitched about Rampage's pay.

That is not true at all.
Rampage was a hero to the "fighter pay" crowd ... until Zuffa said how much he made in his UFC career & Rampage them STFU lol

It's mostly people who understand business.

Having said that, nothing wrong with NOT being interested in fighter pay. I'm just confused by fans who obsessively defend the millionaires/billionaires who under pay guys that are bringing the money in.

Many posters profess outrage how the fighters are being screwed, ripped-off, taken advantage of by the UFC and the Reebok deal. They seem to take it very personally, as if THEY are getting ripped off!?

And not just the fans, but some fighters too. For example when someone like Rampage, for example, who has millions of dollars yet is complaining how "so-in-so" is taking food out his children's mouth. Really?? Seriously. Your children will go hungry if you don't get another million??

It's like we've all lost touch with reality. If you have food, shelter, some clothes, a car and job you enjoy you are, my friend, living the good life. How many cars do you need? How many pairs of shoes do you really need? How much food do you need at one time?

Refreshingly, there are some fighters who genuinely seem grateful to be given the opportunity to do something they love and get paid for it.

Maybe many MMA fans actually care about the well-being of the fighters they watch? Is that too hard to believe? I get the cynicism though.

A sport like this, where the heads get scrambled and the joints all tore up, well-being can only be in the form of compensation. These guys literally suffer for the money.

If that's what they want, so be it. Everybody has a version of happiness. If happiness is 300 million to these guys, so what? We might not agree with it, but it's not our life or set of experiences or body on the line. Maybe Rampage wants to shower his kids with the best? Maybe he wants to get a new chain? What if he's trying to make as much as he can so his future kin are set? So what? We don't know him personally. All we know is if he made money through MMA, he earned it through blood.

And note, there are Buddhist monks that would claim the lower-middle class lifestyle in America is excessive for their standards, their version of what happiness is. It's subjective, you know.

The only reason I want to know is because I want to compare it to other sports. You see I am what you guys call an A-Level Athlete. This automatically means that I can choose any sport I want including MMA, and automatically be successful at it.

i want to know which sports pays the most b/c it doesnt matter to me what I do cuz, you know, Im going to be a legend at whatever I do.

MMA doesnt seem to pay that much so I will choose something like basket ball or something..yea like it matters to me.

Better pay means better athletes.
Other sports pay their athletes ridiculously well.
People who buy tickets and ppvs would like more of their money to go to the fighters.
Not everybody is callous and uncaring.
It's a sport that's so hard on your brain and body that fighters need to make as much money as they can in a short window of time.
It's an expensive sport to be in.
Etc etc

I'm won't talk about the fighters, as everyone complains about the money they have and its their right to, no matter how much they've earned.

But when it comes to fans it boils down to one thing, Hating Dana White. Fans don't complain about how much Bellator or WSOF fighters make, despite both their parent companies having much much more than the UFC's and they fighters making much less (Both have a fighter minimum of $1K where yhe UFC now looks like their news contract minimum is $12K) No one really cares what the fighters make and its somewhat moronic to care, guess what the fighters don't give a crap and wouldn't bat an eye about the minimum wage.

Better pay means better athletes.

No.

MMA, even when it reaches peak popularity will never get the best athletes. Other sports will b always pay much much more. The UFC isn't going to tap into NFL, MLB or NBA money, they'll be lucky to be on par with the MLS.

MMA will always get people who can't make it in other sports, come from a similar backgrounds (foreigners who don't play major sports that are big here, wrestlers ect) and people who are fans. But never will it pull someone who can go pro in another sport, The money level just can't ever each those guys.

As MMA fans we need to stop kidding ourselves that MMA is on par with other sports. At best they pull 1/10th an nfl game. It's a niche sport that will always be tier two. We love the sport so we think otherwise, but if we try to make it compete with team sports it will collapse.

If I pay $60 to watch fights, I'd prefer to pay most of that to the fighters rather than execs that idgaf about

Your question is nothing more than asking why mankind wants to advance themselves, make more money and hopefully have a job they like. The answer is...to get more and hotter pussy. The end.

200w.gif

There's a huge overlap between the guys who bitch the most and the guys who openly stream and steal fights.

They're really not listening to. They think every undercard fighter you've barely heard of should be set for life because he fights in the UFC

I think the pay is fine. I wouldn't be upset if it were higher; that would be nice. But you can't look at fighter pay right now and tell me it isn't on the whole more than acceptable.

Like others said, people just like to bitch and for whatever reason people like to bitch about the UFC any way they can, despite it obviously being leaps and bounds better in every single respect (including pay) than any other org in the sport's history.

Many posters profess outrage how the fighters are being screwed, ripped-off, taken advantage of by the UFC and the Reebok deal. They seem to take it very personally, as if THEY are getting ripped off!?

And not just the fans, but some fighters too. For example when someone like Rampage, for example, who has millions of dollars yet is complaining how "so-in-so" is taking food out his children's mouth. Really?? Seriously. Your children will go hungry if you don't get another million??

It's like we've all lost touch with reality. If you have food, shelter, some clothes, a car and job you enjoy you are, my friend, living the good life. How many cars do you need? How many pairs of shoes do you really need? How much food do you need at one time?

Refreshingly, there are some fighters who genuinely seem grateful to be given the opportunity to do something they love and get paid for it.

This is why whitebelts shouldn't be able to start threads.

The way I see it, these guys are watched on TV by millions of people risking their physical health to entertain us, and many of them are scraping to get by.

If millions of people watch you fight and see you get beat up on TV, you deserve a certain amount of compensation for that. Especially when guys in suits are raking it in. It's a small step up from a praying mantis or pit bull, who also doesn't get paid (but isn't fighting on TV and seen by millions of people).

Want fighters to make a good living but people complain cause its something to complain about especially when you dont like an org it fits the narrative.

If UFC upped the pay they'd move on to next thing they dont like about UFC, too many events, Dana, union, drug testing etc.

How many posters take other posters seriously here? To answer your question: it makes the fans complaining, feel like they are important. Sort of like the poor guy that thinks everybody is laughing with him, rather than at him.

The original post is honestly one of the worst arguments I've read in a long, long while. Basically he's saying all employers should only pay their employees enough to have food, shelter and one car, and that every employer, no matter what their actual value or knowledge equity is worth, should be happy with that. I believed Joseph Stalin would strongly support that as well.

You are way out of touch TS. Your talking about athletes that are well paid. The outrage is over the criminally underpaid athletes who make 10k/10k to fight on a pay per view in the biggest MMA organization on earth.

Re: Wanting MMA to get better athletes by raising pay

MMA has better athletes now than ever ... how did that occur?
It occurred because more athletes were exposed to MMA & fell in love with it.

The notion that all of a sudden people will want to get hit in the face & do two-a-days for 12 months a year if pay way better is nuts!

Back