Why are so many mma fans obsessed/fixated on how much $ a fighter makes??

Eckhart Tolle

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Many posters profess outrage how the fighters are being screwed, ripped-off, taken advantage of by the UFC and the Reebok deal. They seem to take it very personally, as if THEY are getting ripped off!?

And not just the fans, but some fighters too. For example when someone like Rampage, for example, who has millions of dollars yet is complaining how "so-in-so" is taking food out his children's mouth. Really?? Seriously. Your children will go hungry if you don't get another million??

It's like we've all lost touch with reality. If you have food, shelter, some clothes, a car and job you enjoy you are, my friend, living the good life. How many cars do you need? How many pairs of shoes do you really need? How much food do you need at one time?

Refreshingly, there are some fighters who genuinely seem grateful to be given the opportunity to do something they love and get paid for it.

Many posters profess outrage how the fighters are being screwed, ripped-off, taken advantage of by the UFC and the Reebok deal. They seem to take it very personally, as if THEY are getting ripped off!?

And not just the fans, but some fighters too. For example when someone like Rampage, for example, who has millions of dollars yet is complaining how "so-in-so" is taking food out his children's mouth. Really?? Seriously. Your children will go hungry if you don't get another million??

It's like we've all lost touch with reality. If you have food, shelter, some clothes, a car and job you enjoy you are, my friend, living the good life. How many cars do you need? How many pairs of shoes do you really need? How much food do you need at one time?

Refreshingly, there are some fighters who genuinely seem grateful to be given the opportunity to do something they love and get paid for it.

Your question is nothing more than asking why mankind wants to advance themselves, make more money and hopefully have a job they like. The answer is...to get more and hotter pussy. The end.

I don't think as many care as it seems.
I think Dana brings such vitriol out of people that they use 'fighter pay' as an excuse to bitch.
Not that fighter pay cannot improve in areas & not that the Reebok deal wasn't a horrendous launch, but I don't think that off of Sherdog that a majority give a crap.

On here though?
ZUFFA IS DA DEVIL

They want more fighters to watch and more people will go to mma if it pays better

Respecting athletes who put their lives and well being on the line enough to want them to make a fair portion of the profits made off of their hard work and sacrifices seems like a fairly justified opinion to me. Especially when you consider most of them are going to be battered, broken and retired by the time they're forty.

Because the better the pay, the more A level athletes are enticed to come to MMA rather than other sports. That's why I care about fighter pay personally. Imagine someone like JJ Watt in the cage.

You've got to be a real idiot to ask why TS. Never surprises me on sherdog how dumb people can be I won't even dignify you with a response.

Stay ignorant buddy

Valid points but is having empathy really something to be critical of?
I think most fans want to see the best possible product, which means fighters who can afford to train full time. Seeing as fighters are not paid to train and participate in possibly the most physically demanding sport, is it unreasonable to hope that they should be paid well enough to cover the cost of living and training? Is it unreasonable to hope that they would be compensated for the risks they take and financially secured if God forbid they suffer a serious injury in training or the fight that prevents them from even working a normal job thereon? Would that worry not take away some of the enjoyment of the sport for some fighters?

Can't a person be both grateful for their opportunities and at the same time upset that they feel they are being taken advantage of? These guys destroy their bodies for our entertainment. I don't think it's fair to make a blanket statement like "they are living the good life." They have struggles like any human being and fighting for fair compensation seems to be a pertinent one.

Because the fans aren't selfish and they care about the athletes. They are leaving there lives in the cage for god sake just for our entertainment and a chance at glory. I mean would it hurt to think about others for once? No it wouldn't I am really surprised and saddened on the number of threads like this. The least you can do is support the fighters after they are cutting their lives because the majority of them aren't being paid what they should be for the efforts. Stop being so ignorant and think about it.

Because the better the pay, the more A level athletes are enticed to come to MMA rather than other sports. That's why I care about fighter pay personally. Imagine someone like JJ Watt in the cage.

Right, the UFC should start paying Soa Palelei $10 million per fight so maybe a guy like JJ Watt will start training MMA.

Right, the UFC should start paying Soa Palelei $10 million per fight so maybe a guy like JJ Watt will start training MMA.

Yeah, that's what he meant, dummy. No middle ground whatsoever huh? It's either 6k/6k or 10 million. You're stupid...

You've got to be a real idiot to ask why TS. Never surprises me on sherdog how dumb people can be I won't even dignify you with a response.

Stay ignorant buddy

"I won't even dignify you with a response."

Aaaaaahhhh, but you did!!?

Obvious answer is nothing better to do. These kids dont go outside and play like back in the day

Hey TS, nobody EVER bitched about Rampage's pay. We're talking about the 95% of fighters who barely make a living wage.

Because they get little TS. It's pretty obvious.

No one complain about AS, GSP, Conor money. It's the other guys. They have to quit at 40 years tops, so they should be well rewarded.

Stop being ignorant.

"I won't even dignify you with a response."

Aaaaaahhhh, but you did!!?

People in this thread are giving you reasons why they care yet you decide to respond to my post.

Thank god I'm not in the retard population such as yourself. You're probably a fat loser that's never played sports or been active. Or a skinny nerd that's too weak. Either way, for you not to understand the concept of fighter pay, my guess is probably true.

Doesn't mean you can't be happy being you though, have as nice day.

Back