Why are sherdog posters so disrespectful?

Dana White is the face of mma... and most sherdoggers don't act much different than him.

We are all fans of MMA and in this specific forum the UFC. Martial Arts is supposed to be about respect, self reflection and discipline. None of these traits are portrayed in this forum. There also seems to be very little respect for any fighter who loses a match. Well guess what? When there is a fight one person has to lose. And if its a draw people complain even more.

People constantly talk down on great fighters and athletes. People seem to believe that if a fighter cannot be #1 in their weight class then they are a failure. There can only be one champion in each weight class. Just because Uriah Faber or Ben Henderson or Frankie Edgar are #2 does not make them a failure.

I wish this forum would show more respect to the human beings who train their entire lives to compete in MMA and entertain us. Also any fighter ranked in the top 20 in the world is not a "can". They are one of the best fighters on earth. The attitude of the MMA fan base is probably one reason the sport itself does not get more respect.

You're still fairly new to Sherdog... you'll get used to it.

We are all fans of MMA and in this specific forum the UFC. Martial Arts is supposed to be about respect, self reflection and discipline. None of these traits are portrayed in this forum. There also seems to be very little respect for any fighter who loses a match. Well guess what? When there is a fight one person has to lose. And if its a draw people complain even more.

People constantly talk down on great fighters and athletes. People seem to believe that if a fighter cannot be #1 in their weight class then they are a failure. There can only be one champion in each weight class. Just because Uriah Faber or Ben Henderson or Frankie Edgar are #2 does not make them a failure.

I wish this forum would show more respect to the human beings who train their entire lives to compete in MMA and entertain us. Also any fighter ranked in the top 20 in the world is not a "can". They are one of the best fighters on earth. The attitude of the MMA fan base is probably one reason the sport itself does not get more respect.
It's why I used to lurk for so long, almost two years, before posting here and trying to offer more reasoned conversation. Thankfully, there are some good posters here, but for the most part, better and more interesting conversation is found elsewhere.

Sadly, it's why I also have to over-explain why I'm an MMA fan, sometimes, because what's on these boards is what most people see/think when they think of one.

Most dont train, most dont know the pain, most think its like a street fighter game, do stuff xy and win.

Most never sparred and no one cares about fatigue.

It's because we can. In the end it's just entertainment and this is part of that process. It's not like these fighters have been more than that for us. Some people here act like if you don't worship them like gods or honor them like war hero's 24/7 that you're a bad fan.

Last edited:
It's because we can. In the end it's just entertainment and this is part of that process, it's not like these fighters have been more than that for us. Some people here act like if you don't worship them like gods or honor them like war hero's 24/7 that you're a bad fan.

I think the expectation is that people who can't fight shouldn't act like they can.

I see you are new to this whole forum and message board art. MMA fans after fights are either drunk, lost a lot of money, high, etc. Don't take them seriously and you will come out fine. :icon_chee

This

And I think the sport attracts a lot of Dbags and hoodlums. Its a fight sports that originated from NHB, a lot of un educated people competed in underground street fights some are outright thugs and meat heads its only natural that meatheads and thugs would be part of the fan base.

This is neither a Sherdog thing, nor an MMA-thing, but an internet thing.

I'm all for more respect, but to a certain degree, I think your view might be a little schewed. There are plenty of respectful posters, most of us are just predominantly listening the most (and responding the most) to the guys shouting the loudest.

P.S.

Your idea of what martial arts are supposed to be isn't the common denominator. Martial arts are supposed to be about fighting; the stuff you listed is more dependent on who you ask.

Agreed, just see Youtube comments section, a video about sexy woman showing their boobs will have up-to 1000+ comments debating about physics and quantum mechanics.

TS once you realize this is a smack talk forum and don't take anything seriously, you will come to enjoy your time here a lot more.

It's not personal. People are just bustin' balls and ribbing one another. Get down off the high horse.

yes it's been said already, but this is the internet, a place where normally decent people become horrible shitty people. you should all be ashamed of yourselves and die already, along with your families. Yeah what? what ****?

People tend to go full retard when they are anonymous...
But stick around. There is a minority that is actually here to discuss MMA.

anonymity. cain velasquez is a fuckin pussy

LOL

bT6QXON.jpg

a lot of people on the internet act tough, b/c there is no threat of them getting there ass beat for talking shit and what not.

They also lacked empathy too. I'm referring to the few idiots who has Anderson's broken leg as their avatars. I wish we can report those...

Haha I get the rude thing. But why must they complain and whine over FREE ufc cards. Or any free mma

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back