1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Why are people so fixated on Whittaker's jab in the Cannoniere fight?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by DivineMind, Nov 13, 2020.

1. DivineMind Banned Banned

I've seen numerous threads and posters giving Bobby credit for those jabs vs Cannoniere.

All I can think to myself is WTF. It's easy to jab a guy with a broken forearm. Props for the head kick, but everything thrown after was easy mode vs a very injured opponent.

I could have gone out there and jabbed Cannoniere to a win after that injury. You're insane for thinking those jabs took skill or won him the fight.

So the question is: why? Why do these people fail to give primary credit to the obvious devastating injury?

I personally think that they want to feel like they're knowledgeable about mma / combat sports. Experts always love to focus on a powerful jab in their analyses, so these pseudo forum experts want to do the same. If all it came down to was a broken forearm, then they don't feel like an expert, because any knucklehead can point out the guys arm broke and that's why he lost. Nooo, it was the JAB that did it, they thought, so they can feel good about themselves.

Thoughts?

Pious Augustus likes this.
  2. Huligani Number One Bullshit

Everyone knows sherdoggers have the best jabs, you're right.

Jarilo, A.S. Deep, MrFreeze and 24 others like this.
  3. Fergelmince Yellow Card Yellow Card

Really, you could've beat Cannonier with a jab if he had a broken arm?

Mattola, A.S. Deep, MrFreeze and 22 others like this.
  4. GoshiShun17 Red Belt

Whittaker was moving well in that fight. He's always had a good, fast jab. He's also a sherdog darling so people were just happy to see him put on a dominant performance.

And NO, not a lot of fighters implement a great jab in their game. Why are you hating TS???

Mattola, MrFreeze, Ingjr and 9 others like this.
  5. Dorkman Silver Belt

You were so upset people weren't agreeing with you in that other thread you were talking about it in that you needed a whole new thread about it? Seems desperate

AWilder, Mattola, A.S. Deep and 27 others like this.
  6. Hearse Lightning Not an Uber

Ironic.

Mattola, SakurabasEar, Stump and 6 others like this.
  7. DivineMind Banned Banned

This is like the fourth major instance of people playing up that jab.

8. DivineMind Banned Banned

Anyone can move well against a guy who is in agonizing pain. It's like fighting a bean bag chair, a ufc caliber beanbag chair, but still. Like I said, EZ mode. Nothing to brag or praise about.

Am I going crazy?

Used to be if a guy suffers a devastating injury , people don't give full credit to the opponent - like Silva vs Weidman 2. Yes people were playing up Weidmans performance then, but they were trolling.

It's scaring me that y'all are for real.

9. Bubba Kid Purple Belt

I agree the broken arm won him the fight over the jabs. You probably came off too strong in the other thread and hurt some feelings.

DoctorStoppage, Chosen and DivineMind like this.
  10. DivineMind Banned Banned

No, I'm the one pointing out the obvious DEVASTATING injury that any chump off the street can see.

11. Mr.Maelstrom Random Flex Belt

{<jordan}

12. TerrorTimmy Three piece and a soda

To say that it all came down to Cannonier's broken arm is a huge disservice to Whittaker. He threw that left so well and so quick that Cannonier couldn't even react before it landed. Whittaker fought smart and used that left to stop Cannonier's momentum and to set up everything else. Even with a broken arm, you can move with the punch or try to avoid it or block with your other arm. The fact that Cannonier couldn't do ANYTHING about it doesn't just come down to having a broken arm. He couldn't move his head away because his arm hurt? He couldn't step back because his arm hurt? He couldn't use his arm to block because his other arm hurt?

That doesn't make any sense.

Please don't try to discredit Whittaker. He fought extremely well against a very tough opponent and he won. He fought smart and found which tool worked best and kept at it the whole fight. Cannonier is a tough guy and I honestly didn't think Whittaker would do so well against him, but I was wrong. Why can't you just admit Whittaker fought well and used his jab very well?

13. DivineMind Banned Banned

Since it's so easy to fight without an arm, how about you come to my dojo and you tie an arm behind your back and then let's hard spar.

See how easy it is for you to take my jabs, leg kicks, high kicks, body kicks.

You're a joker.

I'm not discrediting Whittaker. I credit him for the vicious high kick, but everything else was window dressing

14. usernamee Gold Belt

"I could have gone out there and jabbed Cannoniere to a win after that injury. You're insane for thinking...."

Yeah, we're the insane ones here, clearly.

{<jordan}

15. TerrorTimmy Three piece and a soda

No one said it's easy to fight without an arm. I said having a broken arm doesn't stop you from moving your head. Are you contesting that point, or just being an idiot because you know you can't contest that point?

For fucks sake if you can't debate in good faith then I'm out. Have a nice day

16. DivineMind Banned Banned

It's called hyperbole.

17. knock_you_out Red Belt

Breaking an arm does not disable vision or head movement.

Moonwalker95 and Sissy Boy like this.
  18. TerrorTimmy Three piece and a soda

You're not using hyperbole, you're spewing bullshit and then shouting down anyone who dares disagree

Shertards gonna Shertard, and you're the Shertardiest Shertard I've seen today

Mattola, MrFreeze, Truk and 9 others like this.
  19. DivineMind Banned Banned

You're not debating in good faith.

You dont acknowledge the simple fact that he had a devastating injury and was compromised. He's in a lot of pain, he's hesitant, he's burning up energy, he's limited in his offensive and defensive tools. It's like you're trying to analyze around the injury.

20. Zebra Cheeks 2 Cheeks And A Soda Staff Member Senior Moderator

Wasn’t this just one single thread about jabs last night? Why aren’t you just talking to them about it?