Why are people saying they want Shogun to retire already?

Because on Sherdog if you lose a few fights you are ready to retire. I'm not saying he can win the belt again, but if I could make the cheddar that he can and still hang with the best, I'm sure I would hang in there.

He is only going to tarnish his legacy. He should retire already.

Thing is, I doubt he only cares about his legacy. He cares about the dough. I don't know Shogun's biography, but if he's like a lot of other Chute Boxe guys, he was probably raised in a working-class home in a shitty part of Curitiba, and wants to make sure his family has everything they want. If that means destroying himself, he'll do it. Even if he can't win a title any more, if they keep offering money to be a gatekeeper, I'm sure he'll do it. These guys have big egos, but they also have practical reasons for not wanting to stop.

Ok...so I said JDS looked like how Shogun has been showing up, what's the problem?

Cigano looked poor as did Shogun against Griffin,Coleman,Jones,Hendo & Vera.

Shogun is still one of the best LHW's in the game and a few bad perfomances don't merit retiring.

Please come at me.

I wasn't comparing what you said, just brought that up to show that you have retarded opinions, and anything you say should be disregarded.

Come at me bro.

Thing is, I doubt he only cares about his legacy. He cares about the dough. I don't know Shogun's biography, but if he's like a lot of other Chute Boxe guys, he was probably raised in a working-class home in a shitty part of Curitiba, and wants to make sure his family has everything they want. If that means destroying himself, he'll do it. Even if he can't win a title any more, if they keep offering money to be a gatekeeper, I'm sure he'll do it. These guys have big egos, but they also have practical reasons for not wanting to stop.

Pretty much this. These guys still have a lot of expenses and they are in the highest possible earning period they will ever be in in their entire lives.That period isn't very long when all is said and done.

Cro Cop stuck around in the UFC as long as he could and is still taking fights because promoters keep giving him good offers to continue to fight, despite obviously being past it. You just have to hope that the guys don't turn out like Gary Goodridge and get addicted to the money and continue to take fights until they can't think straight.

Last edited:
He's only 31, and I'm sure a fighters prime is around 30-34 years old. People are saying that he should retire already.

Actually most fighters prime is from 26 to 31 years of age. That's usually the age where they have the best combination of youth and experience. After 31 you start to loose some speed and reaction time along with explosiveness. You get more prone to injuries and it takes longer and longer to recover from them as you age.

It does'nt mean athletes can't compete past this age. If they take good care of their bodies, with the right training and nutrition, and with the right fighting style they can still compete and win belts at an advanced age as has been evidenced by guys like Dan Henderson, Couture, Anderson Silva, and some others.

In Shogun's case specifically I think it's combination of the knee surgeries and other injuries he has accumulated in his career along with the fact that he is not a fighter who is known for taking care of himself or training correctly. His friends and trainers have said he lets himself go when he doesn't have a fight and does not like to train like he should. Also his reckless fighting style which everybody loves him for is not a style that lends itself to longevity.

Last edited:
Just because he can hang doesn't mean I want to watch him plod about the cage using his face as a punching bag hoping that his opponents chin fails before his does. Look hat how he moved in the Machida fights and what he has done in his last 2 and tell me he is the same fighter. He has no striking defense and does not have the speed and agility to blitz his opponent fast enough to not get smashed in the process anymore. I don't want to watch a man doom himself to pugilistic dementia because he can still "hang" with the best.

My friend trust me when I say I too no longer want to see Shogun go thru WARS or punishment for mine or any fans amusement or enjoyment. Judge Shogun on his next fight. He looked great against Gustafsson for the first 2 rounds. Let's see how he does next. Who knows, a first round knock out is not out of the question. He does have 18 of them.

I think people need to realize the UFC is as big of a show as it gets, and when you're constantly fighting top contenders in a division as deep as the 205 pound weight class, losing a fight does not mean your career is over and you should retire. Even several fights.

If he was getting knocked out by a stiff breeze every time he entered the cage, I may consider changing my position on how well Shogun is doing, maybe? These things are often times more complicated than he's shot, so he's done. But the simple fact of the matter is he is fighting the best fighters in the world, is still very competitive with these guys and on any given night can walk home victorious.

Last edited:
My friend trust me when I say I too no longer want to see Shogun go thru WARS or punishment for mine or any fans amusement or enjoyment. Judge Shogun on his next fight. He looked great against Gustafsson for the first 2 rounds. Let's see how he does next. Who knows, a first round knock out is not out of the question. He does have 18 of them.

Even in the first 2 rounds it did not look that good. He was fresh so we was able to move a little better and only had to take 1 to land a shot and by the second round he could only push ahead and get blasted to throw 1 shot. I cannot remember Shogun attempting to throw any kicks. All he did when Guss threw was cover his head duck down, weather the storm, and throw one shot in retaliation. He looked terrible.

Last edited:
I wasn't comparing what you said, just brought that up to show that you have retarded opinions, and anything you say should be disregarded.

Come at me bro.

Dude you're the worst poster on Sherdog, seriously.

Anytime you want to prove the shit you talk come to my gym in Delaware or Maryland. I've tried to ignore you but you've always have something to say. So if interested in fighting me with gloves, seriously, PM me. If not cool, I admit I'm bias to my favorite fighters but in no way do I deserve the disrespect you've shown mr.

they're scared. shogun coming for the belt!

He's only 31, and I'm sure a fighters prime is around 30-34 years old. People are saying that he should retire already.

Most mma fans or uneducated mma fans........believe a figther is only as good as his last fight. They dont seem to get that guys like SHogun fight to make a living and will continue to do so. Just cause a guy loses here and there and isnt top 5 or 10 ( not in the case of Shogun) he should retire. There are so many cases of fighters like Shogun that have similar careers and yet no one calls for them to retire.

Also, SHogun is one of the most popular fighters in mma, so everything he does is under a microscope and gets criticized.

To many wars, hes takin too much damage, and his skill and fitness seem to be declining

because he looks terrible to put it bluntly. he has no gas tank whatsoever all he does is wing his right hand over and over. he's been getting clobbered

Even in the first 2 rounds it did not look that good. He was fresh so we was able to move a little better and only had to take 1 to land a shot and by the second round he could only push ahead and get blasted to throw 1 shot. I cannot remember Shogun attempting to throw any kicks. All he did when Guss threw was cover his head duck down, weather the storm, and throw one shot in retaliation. He looked terrible.

I've only seen it once and from what I remember he looked good in the first 2 rounds.

He hasn't thrown a good amount of leg kicks since Machida 1, why that is I don't know. Maybe his coach or maybe cause hit hurts to throw. Either way, he has other ways to win.

because SHERDOGGER's are IDIOT's!!!

Fact is Shogun was considered the best LHW on the planet after running thru the 05 Grand Prix. He lost to Coleman falling wrong so not many counted that lost against him, even though he lost.

Making his UFC debut he was EXPECTED to destroy Griffin but he lost and his stock went down. It stayed the same after he barely defeated Coleman. However after he knocked out Liddell in the 1st round his stock went soaring because it was the "same" Shogun we saw in PRIDE. He then fought Machida AND EVERYONE knows he won the fight but was screwed over by the judges so there was a rematch.

He knocked him out and won the title.
He then was on the sidelines dealing with his 3rd knee surgery.

Coming off of it he suffered the worst lost of his career to Jones.

He bounced back against Griffin whom many believed showed up for a paycheck because his wife was pregnant yada yada yada.

Fought Hendo with a F'd up shoulder and put on one of the best fights in MMA.

Performed sub par against Vera yet still knocked him out being the only fighter to KO Vera standing.

Lost a decision to an great up and comer in Gustafsson and here we are.

Since Shogun isn't the "same" fighter as he was in PRIDE or when he won the LHW Championship, idiots on here believe he should retire.

Fact is, Shogun is STILL a great fighter and still has enough in the tank to compete with the best 205'ers on the planet. He just isn't THE best anymore and some can't cope with that.

Plain & simple.
Ummmm no ! Well ya uhhhh kinda but ........ Ya that pretty much somes it ur right couldn't of said it better myself

because he looks terrible to put it bluntly. he has no gas tank whatsoever all he does is wing his right hand over and over. he's been getting clobbered
thats a bit harsh although I agree he's looking almost as one dimensional as rampage

Injuries and damage absorbed. The Hendo fight alone took a lot of miles off of both of those guys. These guys are human beings.

thats a bit harsh although I agree he's looking almost as one dimensional as rampage

May be a bit harsh but only because Ive seen him perform at a much higher level. u can't possible compare his performances of a few years ago to those of late. I'm not even talking about his pride fights either. Attributing that to major knee surgeries that I heard went terrible is definetly plausible.

Back