Why are people saying they want Shogun to retire already?

I personally don't, I love to see him fight win or lose. But the guy has been in so many wars and sustained so many injuries some people think it might be time for him to hang up the towel, that and the fact that his days of title contention may be well past him if the Gus fight has taught us anything. It's frustrating that he just doesn't throw kicks anymore, if that's a result of his constant surgeries, then I might have to agree retirement might be the best idea for him.

But I'm not Shogun (I'm Shotgun), and only he knows what he's got left in the tank

Hes 31 but fights like hes 51. Great career , time to hang it up though.

because SHERDOGGER's are IDIOT's!!!

Fact is Shogun was considered the best LHW on the planet after running thru the 05 Grand Prix. He lost to Coleman falling wrong so not many counted that lost against him, even though he lost.

Making his UFC debut he was EXPECTED to destroy Griffin but he lost and his stock went down. It stayed the same after he barely defeated Coleman. However after he knocked out Liddell in the 1st round his stock went soaring because it was the "same" Shogun we saw in PRIDE. He then fought Machida AND EVERYONE knows he won the fight but was screwed over by the judges so there was a rematch.

He knocked him out and won the title.
He then was on the sidelines dealing with his 3rd knee surgery.

Coming off of it he suffered the worst lost of his career to Jones.

He bounced back against Griffin whom many believed showed up for a paycheck because his wife was pregnant yada yada yada.

Fought Hendo with a F'd up shoulder and put on one of the best fights in MMA.

Performed sub par against Vera yet still knocked him out being the only fighter to KO Vera standing.

Lost a decision to an great up and comer in Gustafsson and here we are.

Since Shogun isn't the "same" fighter as he was in PRIDE or when he won the LHW Championship, idiots on here believe he should retire.

Fact is, Shogun is STILL a great fighter and still has enough in the tank to compete with the best 205'ers on the planet. He just isn't THE best anymore and some can't cope with that.

Plain & simple.

If his knees are really shot I want him to retire. If he still has some upside than I hope he continues fighting. But I am not interested in watching a downward spiral.

Shogun is better then a good majority of the LHW's, just not the top division fighters.

If Shogun went down to MW where the comp is a bit easier he would be one of the better MW's but if wants to fight in the LHW division, he will need to train and get in shape.

The issue is that Shogun has to put in the work, training and cardio to actually be competitive and he hasnt been doing that. Shogun has a habit of gassing early in fights and just not coming in shape and he may have been able to do that when his knees and youth were young but he cant do that now.

Shogun doesn't even want to train away from his family and at times comes in pretty bad shape cardio wise, so it is what it is.

Last edited:
He has the knees of someone twice his age

And from all the wars he's been in I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same way with his brain.

4.gif

Nobody takes shots like that without putting some miles on the grey matter

Well you can't take away people's accomplishments, but people will be stupid enough and fucked up enough to try to discredit him, for sure. It's not right but people will try to do it, we've seen it all before. Luckily his fans will always make sure he gets the respect he deserves.

Does Shogun himself has the respect for himself he deserves? I'm fucking tired of seeing him losing to inferior competition due to his lack of discipline and commitment to fighting ie.: gassing really bad after a couple of minutes.

He has looked pretty bad as of late. Stumbling around the ring in hisnlast fight telegraphing punches, has no cardio and doesn't throw leg kicks enough or with purpose anymore.

He looks shot. Why not retire with all your marbles?

Maybe because he's starting to look more and more like his brother in each fight?

The only thing saving him at this point is his remarkable chin, and the fact that he didn't suffer a life altering KO at the hands of Sergei Kharitonov. Any other fighter would have suffered a BRUTAL KO loss in 2 of his last four fights, and he's taken more damage in 3 of his last 4 fights than he has in just about his entire previous career.

Fact is Shogun was considered the best LHW on the planet after running thru the 05 Grand Prix. He lost to Coleman falling wrong so not many counted that lost against him, even though he lost.

Making his UFC debut he was EXPECTED to destroy Griffin but he lost and his stock went down. It stayed the same after he barely defeated Coleman. However after he knocked out Liddell in the 1st round his stock went soaring because it was the "same" Shogun we saw in PRIDE. He then fought Machida AND EVERYONE knows he won the fight but was screwed over by the judges so there was a rematch.

He bounced back against Griffin whom many believed showed up for a paycheck because his wife was pregnant yada yada yada.

Performed sub par against Vera yet still knocked him out being the only fighter to KO Vera standing.

Since Shogun isn't the "same" fighter as he was in PRIDE or when he won the LHW Championship, idiots on here believe he should retire.

Fact is, Shogun is STILL a great fighter and still has enough in the tank to compete with the best 205'ers on the planet. He just isn't THE best anymore and some can't cope with that.

Plain & simple.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/cain-didnt-defeat-jds-jds-defeated-jds-2343977/

Does Shogun himself has the respect for himself he deserves? I'm fucking tired of seeing him losing to inferior competition due to his lack of discipline and commitment to fighting ie.: gassing really bad after a couple of minutes.

It could simply be because of his knee's though. He has not looked like the same fighter ever since the third knee surgery.

Shit I hope it was his work ethic. You can train harder. You can't fix shot knee's. I hope I'm wrong and his knee's are ok. It's just that the fights are saying something else.

30-34 is not your prime if you have been fighting for a decade before 30. Shogun has been fighting and training at a top level for a very long time now. He is well past his prime and has been for a little while now. It doesn't matter that he is only 31. His brother is only 32 and he has been done for longer.

Too many injuries. He had a hell of a run. PRIDE OW GP and ufc lhw champ. Who else can say that?

Don't see him beating Jones. Time to become a trainer!

Because he's faded so badly from the man who seemed destined to become an absolute legend a few years ago. Love the guy, but his injuries have limited what could have been a magnificent career to merely great.

He's still good enough to beat most fighters in his division but certainly not gonna threaten for the title now that he's had such a long and damaging career (mostly the knee injuries).

He's still good enough to beat most fighters in his division but certainly not gonna threaten for the title now that he's had such a long and damaging career (mostly the knee injuries).

I don't think so anymore

He's still a good fighter, but not great enough to win fights against top fighters. I think people don't want to see him fight if he can't win the belt.

Plain & simple.

Just because he can hang doesn't mean I want to watch him plod about the cage using his face as a punching bag hoping that his opponent's chin fails before his does. Look hat how he moved in the Machida fights and what he has done in his last 2 and tell me he is the same fighter. He has no striking defense and does not have the speed and agility to blitz his opponent fast enough to not get smashed in the process anymore. I don't want to watch a man doom himself to pugilistic dementia because he can still "hang" with the best.

Last edited:
his knees are screwed, he's really gonna hurt himself one of these days. Still I can't stand the idea of him going out like this.

Just because he can hang doesn't mean I want to watch him plod about the cage using his face as a punching bag hoping that his opponents chin fails before his does. Look hat how he moved in the Machida fights and what he has done in his last 2 and tell me he is the same fighter. He has no striking defense and does not have the speed and agility to blitz his opponent fast enough to not get smashed in the process anymore. I don't want to watch a man doom himself to pugilistic dementia because he can still "hang" with the best.

truth, he's not getting younger and the way he fights now seems to be the only way he can fight.

Back