Why are people saying that Nate outboxes Conor ?

The logic of someone who's never cut weight. Draining your body of water/salt/electrolytes an not replenishing them will hurt cardio. Someone who walks 20 miles in the desert isn't going to be anything but drained for the next several days.

Lol .... and if you don't put in your roadwork and you don't come into the fight lean then you're not in fight shape. When you have to cut weight it also forces you to be in good physical condition before you even start the cut. You're talking about losing weight for a fight like it's all body suits and saunas. But before that, you run five miles everyday and lose weight the right way. It forces you to be in shape. That never took place in his last camp.

Conor has more power per punch, but Diaz has better boxing/combinations. I think somehow Conor is going to probably finish this fight in the first, just because he landed so much in the first fight, but each passing round, Conor's chances of winning greatly diminish because it takes a looooong time to adjust cardiovascular-wise to carrying extra weight.

I'm rooting for both (Humble pie brings out the best in people, usually, so I've gone from indifferent to somewhat liking McGregor), but you can't deny Conor was tuning Nate up for the entire first round, but only because he was putting so much into each shot, and he's faster, not due to better boxing. I don't think Conor's that terribly behind Nate, plus Conor uses kicks too, which doubles what he can work with, and Nate is worse than Rampage at dealing with kicks.

We will see a more patient leprechaun this fight, and he'll probably win it inside of two rounds, probably the first. We will see.

Lol .... and if you don't put in your roadwork and you don't come into the fight lean then you're not in fight shape. When you have to cut weight it also forces you to be in good physical condition before you even start the cut. You're talking about losing weight for a fight like it's all body suits and saunas. But before that, you run five miles everyday and lose weight the right way. It forces you to be in shape. That never took place in his last camp.

It doesn't force you to be in shape. Why do you assume that weight loss equates fighting shape?
Camps should have a good idea of a fighters tank with or without a weight cut.

It doesn't force you to be in shape. Why do you assume that weight loss equates fighting shape?
Camps should have a good idea of a fighters tank with or without a weight cut.
how else do you think they lose weight in camp? If a fighter is not running a lot and getting into great shape, they're not losing weight, at least not the right way. I'm not sure what gym you guys are in but this is pretty standard stuff. It's more prevalent in boxing, but you need to do roadwork if you wanna be in fight shape.

Relevant to the conversation, you can even look at old embeddeds for Conor's last few bouts at 45. He ran all the time

Conor has more power per punch, but Diaz has better boxing/combinations. I think somehow Conor is going to probably finish this fight in the first, just because he landed so much in the first fight, but each passing round, Conor's chances of winning greatly diminish because it takes a looooong time to adjust cardiovascular-wise to carrying extra weight.

I'm rooting for both (Humble pie brings out the best in people, usually, so I've gone from indifferent to somewhat liking McGregor), but you can't deny Conor was tuning Nate up for the entire first round, but only because he was putting so much into each shot, and he's faster, not due to better boxing. I don't think Conor's that terribly behind Nate, plus Conor uses kicks too, which doubles what he can work with, and Nate is worse than Rampage at dealing with kicks.

We will see a more patient leprechaun this fight, and he'll probably win it inside of two rounds, probably the first. We will see.

If Nate was being honest about his lack of sparring, the first fight might not be a good indicator. I agree that Conor is a major threat, but I wouldn't expect him to land at the same rate he did in the first fight. Timing is huge.

The posters that know me know I'm a HUGE Diaz fan. That being said, Conor did very well in the beginning. Give the man his props, he was fucking Nate up for a little bit which actually got me worried.
I was expecting Nates crisp 1-2 and check hooks to keep Conor little ass away but Conor landed solid shots. Too bad for Conor cardio is one of the most important things in MMA. If someone tough
and hard to finish has great cardio they can beat someone with better skills who doesn't have as good of cardio.

Nate has skills too though, so Conor better find a way to finish it quick, or he's about to get another ass whooping.

how else do you think they lose weight in camp? If a fighter is not running a lot and getting into great shape, they're not losing weight, at least not the right way. I'm not sure what gym you guys are in but this is pretty standard stuff. It's more prevalent in boxing, but you need to do roadwork if you wanna be in fight shape.

Relevant to the conversation, you can even look at old embeddeds for Conor's last few bouts at 45. He ran all the time

You need to be able to go 5 rounds whether you cut weight or not. I've trained MT on and off for 7 years now and my coach has been a part of 2 UFC camps. What gym are you going to where you use your weight cut to get in shape?

To much credit is given to Conor for doing alright in the 1st round... the diaz brothers are notorious for losing the first round. It's how you deal with them in the 2nd and 3rd that counts, and conor failed miserably at that.

If Nate was being honest about his lack of sparring, the first fight might not be a good indicator. I agree that Conor is a major threat, but I wouldn't expect him to land at the same rate he did in the first fight. Timing is huge.

I think we will see two different fighters with probably two different approaches in the rematch. Diaz is going to be even more motivated too. Conor is a very smart fighter and he fought smart on his fights leading up to fighting Diaz. I think we will see more kicks, and more patient stand up from both, as both took a significant amount of damage in that fight. Both never had good defensive standup.

Conor was getting the better of the striking for the first round and half. Then he seemed to gas and Nate began picking him apart.

You need to be able to go 5 rounds whether you cut weight or not. I've trained MT on and off for 7 years now and my coach has been a part of 2 UFC camps. What gym are you going to where you use your weight cut to get in shape?
You're not keeping up. You don't even cut until late into the week of the weigh in. You don't use that to get into shape. You cut because you've already lost all the weight you could possibly lose the right way, which is training and running throughout your camp.

Btw, two current UFC fighters at my gym and there's another current up and coming UFC fighter who got his start at my gym before moving away. Multiple UFC and Bellator vets as well.

Relevant to Conor... He was already fighting a weight class up and trying to bulk. It removes the need to put in the roadwork and cardio training and diet in order to make weight. He was carrying around unnecessary weight already, bulking up as opposed to getting lean. When it was announced that the fight was going up yet another weight class he totally abandoned any kind of diet or running he was doing, he talked about that in those last 11 days.

Nate's MMA footwork isn't great because he fights in, essentially, a boxing stance. That comes into play when he's defending kicks and takedowns, not when he's throwing punches himself.

Nate's jab is one of the best in the sport. Sure, you can find plenty of boxers that make it look lazy, but not MMA fighters. If you think his jab is lazy, again, I don't think you know what you're talking about.
How about go watch the Firas Zahabi pre fight analysis of 202. Go to 35:30 of the video and listen up. Afterwards, please leave a comment and inform Firas that he also doesn't know what he is talking about. Diaz gets by having a great chin, otherwise, this flaw would get him floored on the regular.

You're not keeping up. You don't even cut until late into the week of the weigh in. You don't use that to get into shape. You cut because you've already lost all the weight you could possibly lose the right way, which is training and running throughout your camp.

Btw, two current UFC fighters at my gym and there's another current up and coming UFC fighter who got his start at my gym before moving away. Multiple UFC and Bellator vets as well.

You do what you need to do to last X rounds, whether you have a weight cut or not. Period. Whether that cardio happens to help you make weight or not shouldn't matter. If it helps you win fights, you should be doing it anyway. You do what you need to do to be the best fighter you can be on fight night.

How about go watch the Firas Zahabi pre fight analysis of 202. Go to 35:30 of the video and listen up. Afterwards, please leave a comment and inform Firas that he also doesn't know what he is talking about. Diaz gets by having a great chin, otherwise, this flaw would get him floored on the regular.

I think Zahabi is a brilliant combat mind and wouldn't dream of telling him that he doesn't know what he's talking about. But you need some context before using his words to make your point. He's not calling Diaz's jab lazy in general. He's saying he needs to tighten it up and not throw lazy jabs against Conor, to account for Conor's left.

I'd bet good amounts of money that if Zahabi's answer to this question is yes: Does Nate Diaz have one of the btter jabs in MMA?

It did, though. You think he wasn't running 5 miles a day until RDA got injured? The only thing he didn't do was actually cut the water. He should have had cardio for days.

It's not an excuse. He gassed himself out. Nate won because of that. It's Conor's fault and Nate obviously fought the better fight.

Nate won because Nate is the better boxer, more durable, better conditioned fighter with better grappling.

Nate won because Nate is the better boxer, more durable, better conditioned fighter with better grappling.
He is more durable. He is better conditioned. He does have better grappling.

He is not the better boxer.

He is more durable. He is better conditioned. He does have better grappling.

He is not the better boxer.

He has better combos, better defense, a better jab, more education of using range/rolling, and head movement. Those are all boxing fundamentals. Conor has the edge in power, possibly in footwork, and that's about it.

Diaz is the better boxer.

Back