Why are people refering to Mendes as just a "short wrestler"

Roop has an excellent build for MMA.

His problem was/is that he is a terrible fighter, with 0 fight iQ and 0 heart.

He was probably only in the UFC because of his build, and nothing to do or very little with his skill-level.

Now imagine through time, more people who have both great skill + the best build will be found and trained new and perfected techniques passed on by each generation of better fighters, and so on.

This height/reach hype FAD which many MMA fans have bought into is based primarily on the recent success of TWO fighters in ONE division ie. Jones and Gus - Weidman to a lesser extent as he's only one inch taller than Machida and the same height as Anderson - who are also YOUNGER than most of their established competition.

This sport truly has the most short-sighted fanbase.

Last edited:
I don't know why you are bringing up examples of short fighters who are much better than theire competition, in order to prove your point.

That's not how it works, and it's not what i'm talking about.

I'm talking about the Cain Velasquezes and Daniel Cormiers who will be found and trained, but in better bodies, where they don't have to fight uphill, but downhill instead.

Cain and DC don't just have to be better than theire opponents to beat them, they have to be much better.

They need to go over the skill level of the opponent + overcoming the range gaps, closing distance and diving at greater ranges, clinching uphill and so on and forth.

I don't even get how any of what i've said it hard to grasp or somehow controversial

Lmao you're a FOOL. I'm sorry but dang man , what you're saying is just silly. Are you telling me Roberto Duran was alot more skilled than sugar Ray Leonard because he had to over come over tremendous obstacles lol. The answer is no they were about as dead even as can be before no mas happened , yet Roberto was a short armed boxer and sugar was a rangy combo death machine.

Elite fighters will never be phased out regardless of body type, if you're good enough it's as simple as that.

Elite fighters will never be phased out regardless of body type, if you're good enough it's as simple as that.

Yep there'll never be such a simple answer, as desired by simpletons, to what the 'best' body type is.

Also 'one-trick ponies' like Palhares and JDS will never be completely phased out since you can succeed in FIGHTING if you're good enough at pressing the one trick, and people will complain and harp about the lack of 'evolution' until the end of time because they don't realize evolution is more limited than they fantasize.

Roop has an excellent build for MMA.

His problem was/is that he is a terrible fighter, with 0 fight iQ and 0 heart.

He was probably only in the UFC because of his build, and nothing to do or very little with his skill-level.

Now imagine through time, more people who have both great skill + the best build will be found and trained new and perfected techniques passed on by each generation of better fighters, and so on.

c-hill.jpg

Absolute nonsense

Toothpicks like Roop will never be the future, have you ever stepped inside a gym in your life?

Guys like Jon Jones are able to hide the weaknesses of their body type because they are incredible athletes with incredible skillls, but they will always have to contend against fire hydrants like Cormier

Robbie lawlers standup is way better than what Mendes brings.. his slip'n'rip is unmatched in ferocity below MW.

You've bought into the hype, chum.

Mendes' boxing-for-MMA is excellent. That's why he was the first guy ever to properly TKO Clay Guida, after Guida had already fought a Murderer's Row of MMA and remained unstopped (Josh Thomson, Gilbert Melendez, Nate Diaz, Diego Sanchez, Rafael dos Anjos, Takanori Gomi, Anthony Pettis, Gray Maynard, Benson Henderson).

The same Guida that got dropped by both Florian and Sanchez? Give me a break......

Guida's striking is - without question - objectively poor in nearly every way.

Back