Why are people refering to Mendes as just a "short wrestler"

iboufring**

Green Belt
Reaction score
When people say this to discredit Aldo or predict Conor/Aldo it just sounds very ignorant and stupid imo. Although wrestling is his bread and butter, he is clearly not just a wrestler anymore. I mean Lawler and Rampage are wrestlers too

Conor was the first one to say it but i dont think he actually believes it. If he does then he is in for a awakening. Aldo/Mendes was like 90% standup. Does it mean Aldo is that bad? F*** no! That fight has no bearing or say whatsoever in what will happen in a potential Aldo/conor fight.

The time for one dimensional wrestlers is over :)

Ive never heard anyone say he's just a short wrestler. He is short though, and he does wrestle.

He's not even that short for the division, Aldo was half of an inch taller at most.

Because that is primarily what defines him as a fighter.

Also the stocky, short and squat type builds are going to get phased out of MMA.

They were a good build to have when everyone was less skilled, and the game in general was less developed.
-When you muscled your way through much of the fight, and so on. Roughly speaking.

But as everything gets closer and closer to the pinnacle of performance, the best body type, the McGregor, George Roop, Jon Jones type builds are all the divisions will be filled with.

It's just a sort of natural selection of MMA through time.

The divison that will hang on the longest, where we will still see a few fatty and short builds is the HW division, because you still mainly muscle your way through those competitions, but eventually even HW will be purely rangey low fat fighters, with the occasional throw-back freakshow fatties who has managed to rack up some KO's.

Equal skill, or getting closer to it, as everyone gets better and better, 8 out of 10 times the rangey guy will defeat the short fatty.
It doesn't mean the lazy slobs can't KO people, they still can, but statistically speaking, equal skill vs equal skill, the rangey fighter is the type who will be at an advantage.

No, he probably is not just a short wrestler, but he's not a great striker either.

Conor is levels above such guys as Mendez in the standup departament -- both in terms of power and technique.

You will see the difference when Conor hits Aldo clean and his eyes open wide. He will be like, "What the hell have I signed for".

Mendez will get blasted by TJ, if they fought.

I don't fuck with him after aldo2. I thought we had it in the BAG and then he went in there and lost. I was legit pissed. When you want something done right you gotta do it yourself

He's more than just a short wrestler.............he's a short wrestler with T-Rex arms.

Also the stocky, short and squat type builds are going to get phased out of MMA.

They were a good build to have when everyone was less skilled, and the game in general was less developed.
-When you muscled your way through much of the fight, and so on. Roughly speaking.

But as everything gets closer and closer to the pinnacle of performance, the best body type, the McGregor, George Roop, Jon Jones type builds are all the divisions will be filled with.

The divison that will hang on the longest, where we will still see a few fatty and short builds is the HW division, because you still mainly muscle your way through those competitions, but eventually even HW will be purely rangey low fat fighters, with the occasional throw-back freakshow fatties who has managed to rack up some KO's.

Equal skill, or getting closer to it, as everyone gets better and better, 8 out of 10 times the rangey guy will defeat the short fatty.
It doesn't mean the lazy slobs can't KO people, they still can, but statistically speaking, equal skill vs equal skill, the rangey fighter is the type who will be at an advantage.

Bold prediction for such a small sample size. Jones/Gus/Weidman etc. are also YOUNG which is just as likely a reason for their success as their height - along with being skilled of course.

If a new younger short guy comes ago in a few years and dominates Jones/Gus fans will jump right off the height train, calling it now lol.

geoge...roop..?

No, he probably is not just a short wrestler, but he's not a great striker either.

Conor is levels above such guys as Mendez in the standup departament -- both in terms of power and technique.

You will see the difference when Conor hits Aldo clean and his eyes open wide. He will be like, "What the hell have I signed for".

Mendez will get blasted by TJ, if they fought.

You've bought into the hype, chum.

Mendes' boxing-for-MMA is excellent. That's why he was the first guy ever to properly TKO Clay Guida, after Guida had already fought a Murderer's Row of MMA and remained unstopped (Josh Thomson, Gilbert Melendez, Nate Diaz, Diego Sanchez, Rafael dos Anjos, Takanori Gomi, Anthony Pettis, Gray Maynard, Benson Henderson).

Did you watch Aldo vs Mendes II with your eyes closed and your Conor McGregor audio cd on? Aldo deservedly won the fight, but Mendes was extremely competitive in a stand-up battle for 5 rounds with one of the most skilled, explosive stand-up fighters the sport has ever seen. He was connecting hard, flush shots on Aldo in a way we've scarcely ever seen.

But I guess that pales in comparison to landing punches on Poirier's ear and Diego Brandao eh...

:icon_lol:

When people say this to discredit Aldo or predict Conor/Aldo it just sounds very ignorant and stupid imo. Although wrestling is his bread and butter, he is clearly not just a wrestler anymore. I mean Lawler and Rampage are wrestlers too

Conor was the first one to say it but i dont think he actually believes it. If he does then he is in for a awakening. Aldo/Mendes was like 90% standup. Does it mean Aldo is that bad? F*** no! That fight has no bearing or say whatsoever in what will happen in a potential Aldo/conor fight.

he looked like a mutated dwarf, imitating TJ Dillashaw's style awkwardly.

They don't just refer to Mendes as short wrestler,
They also address him as forehead-balls-rester.

geoge...roop..?

:icon_lol:

Roop has an excellent build for MMA.

His problem was/is that he is a terrible fighter, with 0 fight iQ and 0 heart.

He was probably only in the UFC because of his build, and nothing to do or very little with his skill-level.

Now imagine through time, more people who have both great skill + the best build will be found and trained new and perfected techniques passed on by each generation of better fighters, and so on.

Cain V Is heavyweight champion,DC just fought for the title , Hendricks was just champ who lost to an in fighter in Robbie Lawler. I could go on and on with examples of range fighters getting out classed by short inside fighters. Instead you're saying people should be modeling after George fucking roop lol. Roop will be "phased" from MMA alot faster than a guy like Frankie Edgar would. Nobody in the ufc just muscles their way through a fight either.... actually the more I read your analysis the more far fetched I'm realizing it is. Study the fight game a little more, just because range fighters are finding success in MMA doesn't mean everybody else is out, it's just a testament of the skill level In MMA evolving.

I've heard a lot of people say he's short.

mike-tyson-huge-muscles-bodybuilding.jpg

You've bought into the hype, chum.

Mendes' boxing-for-MMA is excellent. That's why he was the first guy ever to properly TKO Clay Guida, after Guida had already fought a Murderer's Row of MMA and remained unstopped (Josh Thomson, Gilbert Melendez, Nate Diaz, Diego Sanchez, Rafael dos Anjos, Takanori Gomi, Anthony Pettis, Gray Maynard, Benson Henderson).

The thing is, I don't believe that Aldo is the most skilled fighter out there, or extremely explosive for that matter. He went 5 FULL ROUNDS with RICARDO F*&KING LAMAS (a guy who is nothing special on his own). Aldo has been looking vulnerable in a lot of his fights. He can't finish no one, because he's not that much ahead of most of the competition; and his competition is not extraordinary tough as it may seem.

Conor poses a very different kind of treat. He's a hard hitting southpaw who happens to be a versatile striker and mixes kicks and punches well. He also has excellent understanding of distance and finds angles in most situations. Aldo can't just stay flat footed like he does against bums like Lamas, trust me. I'm not saying that he doesn't stand a chance versus Conor, but hell... I think he has to really, really show himself in the best possible light of his, or otherwise he will be floored very early on. Nobody in this division has the power of McGregor, I don't think you can doubt it. And if you just interchange Mendez with Conor for 5 rds to be in the octagon with him, you have a recipe for a disaster to come for Aldo. He can't afford himself the comfort to be that long in the octagon with a creative striker like McGOAT. And Conor looks to be nowhere more fragile as that midget Mendez.
So there is that.

Last edited:
Cain V Is heavyweight champion,DC just fought for the title , Hendricks was just champ who lost to an in fighter in Robbie Lawler. I could go on and on with examples of range fighters getting out classed by short inside fighters. Instead you're saying people should be modeling after George fucking roop lol. Roop will be "phased" from MMA alot faster than a guy like Frankie Edgar would. Nobody in the ufc just muscles their way through a fight either.... actually the more I read your analysis the more far fetched I'm realizing it is. Study the fight game a little more, just because range fighters are finding success in MMA doesn't mean everybody else is out, it's just a testament of the skill level In MMA evolving.

I don't know why you are bringing up examples of short fighters who are much better than theire competition, in order to prove your point.

That's not how it works, and it's not what i'm talking about.

I'm talking about the Cain Velasquezes and Daniel Cormiers who will be found and trained, but in better bodies, where they don't have to fight uphill, but downhill instead.

Cain and DC don't just have to be better than theire opponents to beat them, they have to be much better.

They need to go over the skill level of the opponent + overcoming the range gaps, closing distance and diving at greater ranges, clinching uphill and so on and forth.

I don't even get how any of what i've said is hard to grasp or somehow controversial

Back