Why are people complaining about Mendes v Edgar

If chad wins... why wtf ? He will rightfully get the next title shot by beating the clear #1 ranked fighter in the division. Remember, Mendes vs. Conor wasn't for the FW title.So it hardly counts as a title shot.

If frankie wins... Hell no they won't make him fight 1 more... He will get the next title shot. Where are you getting these ideas from ?

Same as "people",you also should stop complaining.

chad has fought aldo twice and mcgregor once. Whether hes the number 1 contender or not wont matter. same reason jonny hendricks didnt get his title fight when he is clearly the number 1 contender, we have seen it.

Me personally i wont mind if chad or jonny get a title shot, but i can see why people complain.

You can disagree about fredgar not getting his title shot and fighting 1 more, but they already passed him up twice, so im under the impression they dont want him to have the belt. I could be wrong, thats just how im seeing things

In no way Holloway deserves a title shot without beating at least one of those two. Especially because the fight he last won didn't really happen.

I think he easily does.

Mendes' best win before he got his first title shot was Swanson.

Conor was set to fight for the title after he beat Siver.

Lamas' best win before he got his title shot was again,Swanson.

Chan Sung Jung's best win was Poirier.

Edgar was coming off a 2 fight losing streak when he got the title shot.

Florian's best win was against Guida.

Hominick's best win probably against Leonard Garcia.

NONE of them beat a top contender to get a title shot.Why should Holloway ? I guess you can say Swanson was a top contender back then,but Holloway beat him as well.

Because we want Edgar vs. Holloway.

Why not just set that up ? Makes more sense in the title picture.

Simply due to the fact that Aldo pulled out so late last time and the UFC's precedent for instant rematches for champs I think there almost is no 'title picture' at FW...it is totally congested as the Conor/Aldo fight isn't going to happen until December, and should Conor win Aldo will get a rematch in maybe April next year. We won't get a fresh FW contender until this time next year at the rate we are going.

Who knows what will happen with the winner of Mendes/Edgar and Max Holloway in that time.

Edgar has been getting overlooked and shafted big time lately and the point about Aldo getting a rematch if he loses(which I think is spot on) is yet another reason why I hope Aldo smashes Conor. I want Edgar to beat Mendes and get his very well deserved 2nd FW title shot because he's done nothing but dominate lately even if he's been a bit boring in his last few fights.

Edgar is the #1 contender and imo he will defeat Mendes. Superior footwork, dunno about wrestling, more or at least equal speed, MUCH better cardio and goes 100% for the entire fight as opposed to Chad's explode-rest-explode style. Also his chin is ridiculous.

Simply due to the fact that Aldo pulled out so late last time and the UFC's precedent for instant rematches for champs I think there almost is no 'title picture' at FW...it is totally congested as the Conor/Aldo fight isn't going to happen until December, and should Conor win Aldo will get a rematch in maybe April next year. We won't get a fresh FW contender until this time next year at the rate we are going.

Who knows what will happen with the winner of Mendes/Edgar and Max Holloway in that time.

I hate immediate rematches, they hold up the division.

Regardless of what happens there should be a new contenter.

Now they're probably going to screw either Max or Frankie over.

Mendes did help save UFC 189 so this could be a favor repaid by the UFC. Besides, Edgar vs Mendes is the best non title the UFC made this year. This could be FOTY.

Not really... Frankie was just as willing to take the fight against McG, but I agree this fight is amazing. I think Frankie takes the decision after struggling early.

I think he easily does.

NONE of them beat a top contender to get a title shot.Why should Holloway ? I guess you can say Swanson was a top contender back then,but Holloway beat him as well.

At this time no, Holloway does not deserve the shot above Edgar. I do think at other times in the FW division's history that Holloway would be in a position to fight for the title, but not now. I don't disagree with all those names you threw out above, but a few counterpoints, if I may:

Mendes was undefeated at that point and was clearly the best guy who hadn't fought Aldo yet - context.

Conor would have had the shot after Poirier, if only Mendes hadn't looked so great dispatching 5 guys in a row to earn his rematch with Aldo - context.

Lamas' best win was actually Koch, who was quite a name at the time and a rising star at FW. Swanson wasn't considered in wuite the same light as he was when he had that big streak going - context.

KZ's best win was Poirier, true (what a great fight! KZ did a great job, poor Anik kept trying to swing from Poirier's nuts while commentating though), but he also beat Hominick in record time, when The Machine had only just had a title fight. KZ had some momentum going on while guys like Mendes and Edgar had both fought Aldo and lost somewhat recently.

Edgar's two fight losing streak....really dude? Edgar got the shot because Dana, you, me, everyone else....we all knew Edgar had beaten Bendo in their rematch and he was screwed. It should have been a champ vs champ fight. Context man....context.

Florian was a name in a UFC division of unknowns. Yes, the division was a direct import from WEC, but most casual viewers didn't know what the WEC even was. Florian got the shot of name value, and Hominick got the shot because the division wasn't stacked at the time. Context!

The longer FW is around the more guys potential challengers will have to beat. You think Conor would have needed 5 wins to fight for the title in 2011? Hells no!

I hate immediate rematches, they hold up the division.

Regardless of what happens there should be a new contenter.

Now they're probably going to screw either Max or Frankie over.

I absolutely agree! Just calling it as it will be though. I hate this 'two stage' approach to a challenger winning a belt. If they earn it, they earn it.

In very specific circumstances I do think immediate rematches are valid, but most often, no.

1 - they are sticking it on a shit card
2 - basically means that Aldo vs Conor 2 will happen even if Conor loses
3 - doesn't really make sense as Mendes just lost in a #1 contender fight

it's an amazing fight but it shouldn't be happening this year.

I only support immediate rematches in the case of controversial decisions. Shogun/Machida 1 being a perfect example; that was bullshit and Shogun deserved that rematch.

I really like the fight itself and don't really care about the matchmaking here.

Anybody who complains about this fight is a fool.

The baddest form of Mendes vs the baddest Frankie Edgar we've ever seen.

I'm pumped. A real Prime vs Prime superfight IMO

I think it's a great fight no matter what. If you think Edgar is really deserving of a title shot than he should be able to beat Mendes. And if Mendes wins the UFC can still make him win a couple more before he's really back in contention. Right now these guys have to take a fight or risk sitting out up to a year to get their shot at the belt. Also if they end up making Holloway vs Stephens, that could end up as the best fight of the year.

I think he easily does.

That's called being fast tracked to the title.

Lamas was not fast tracked though, Koch was a legit threat when Lamas smeared his face.

And you're saying his best win was Swanson as if that's a bad thing.

IDK.
I like the match up. Sure there are other fights that could have been made but this is just as good as those.

Plus these two are the biggest names in the division other than Conor Aldo and Jose McGregor. Makes sense to do it to keep interest in the division high for the casuals--who far outnumber the hardcore fans.

Last edited:
i completely agree .
the UFC loves Conor and Aldo deserves a rematch with all his defences although if the rumours are true and he retires then i Guess Aldo won't get a rematch .
But i think the Cain rematch comes down to the fact the UFC wants the Mexican market and there hoping that the only reason Cain lost was the fact he was coming back from injury .

You are bang on.

I don't get the whole Cain thing. I mean, yes the Mexican market is huge. But really? Cain didn't spend his entire training camp training in Mexico, from what I've read. Cain has fought something like three guys in the last five years. Werdum was there far longer - got acclimated to the elevation, and came to fight. And he speaks Spanish (not to mention about four other languages). The improvement he's shown since he left the UFC is amazing, and I wish that casuals could appreciate his talent. Oh well...

Edgar has been getting overlooked and shafted big time lately and the point about Aldo getting a rematch if he loses(which I think is spot on) is yet another reason why I hope Aldo smashes Conor. I want Edgar to beat Mendes and get his very well deserved 2nd FW title shot because he's done nothing but dominate lately even if he's been a bit boring in his last few fights.

Edgar is the #1 contender and imo he will defeat Mendes. Superior footwork, dunno about wrestling, more or at least equal speed, MUCH better cardio and goes 100% for the entire fight as opposed to Chad's explode-rest-explode style. Also his chin is ridiculous.

I don't want to get into a pissing contest here - but I find it hard to feel sorry for Edgar. In my opinion, he lost the first fight with BJ and was gifted the LW title. Yes, Edgar clearly beat BJ in the rematch (which really shouldn't have happened since BJ won the first fight) and then he tooled BJ in their third fight. I do think Edgar got shafted in the second Benson decision, but coming off two losses - he was given an immediate title shot against Aldo (if you count his W against BJ in their first fight, you have to count the L in the second Benson fight) and he lost. A close fight. But he lost. Since then, he's beaten Oliveira (who Max just beat), BJ Penn's corpse, Cub Swanson (who Max also beat) and Uriah Faber (who's last relevant win was what, 2 years ago over a guy who hasn't fought since?). Frankie is an incredible fighter with a huge heart. But he's not clearly more deserving of a title shot than Max. Not at this stage. I hope Frankie wins against Chad, and then Max fights Frankie (because Aldo/Conor 2 IS happening). And then the winners meet. But please, lets not cry for Frankie.

No one wants to see Frankie lay n pray his way to victory against Conor. Make no mistake, Frankie wants no part of stand up with Conor, so he will just spam takedowns for five rounds.

Back