Why are people complaining about Mendes v Edgar

MustangSally

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Finally the UFC does what made it great in the first place, make the best fight the best, whether it is for the title or just because it makes for a good fight... and now people are complaining about it, saying that it might derail a potential title contender

Is it more important to protect a potential title contenders and avoid 'derailing' them than actually putting on good, competitive fights? Sure Edgar vs Stephens or Holloway would 'protect' Edgar on his way to a title shot, but is this what we really want - a gimme fight where you pretty much know how the fight will play out before the it even takes place?

Holloway deserves to fight frankie in a #1 contender bout. Mendes just came off a loss and is basically getting that #1 contender fight

Holloway deserves to fight frankie in a #1 contender bout. Mendes just came off a loss and is basically getting that #1 contender fight
i wouldn't be surprised if the UFC is hoping Chad takes out Frankie so he doesn't get any where near a title shot again and they give Max a squash match and give him a title shot . Although if Conor beats Aldo there has to be an instant rematch considering Cain got one .

i wouldn't be surprised if the UFC is hoping Chad takes out Frankie so he doesn't get any where near a title shot again and they give Max a squash match and give him a title shot . Although if Conor beats Aldo there has to be an instant rematch considering Cain got one .
The match making has been pretty odd as of late and it seems like the UFC is doing all they can to keep frankie from the title because they hope conor can beat aldo and defend the belt for a while

Mendes did help save UFC 189 so this could be a favor repaid by the UFC. Besides, Edgar vs Mendes is the best non title the UFC made this year. This could be FOTY.

Frankie is like the ultimate, and way better than normal, gatekeeper. You put him against an up and coming prospect and there is a good chance that prospect is losing their title shot and loses it in a way the fans are unsatisfied with since Frankie's game doesn't *tend* to be the most popular. Bloody crazy as I love watching Frankie do his thing, but, there it is.

So yeah, they're probably trying to protect Holloway, as others have mentioned.

The Cain rematch is absurd (but then so is 30% of UFC matchmaking). I think no matter which way the Aldo/Conor fight goes, there will be a rematch. That fight is going to make a lot of money for all parties involved, so unless it is an epic beatdown of Conor (which I don't see) then the UFC will instantly book the rematch. Which blows. This whole rematch nonsense is absurd. Hold up a title for a year. Or more in the case of Cain, who, given his injury history, is a 50-50 shot at best to make his fight with Werdum in one piece.

Mendes did help save UFC 189 so this could be a favor repaid by the UFC. Besides, Edgar vs Mendes is the best non title the UFC made this year. This could be FOTY.

i agree i love the fight and kinda hop Max stays away from both guys until he gets a crack at the title as i think both beat him but he has a better chance against Frankie IMO

A loss for Edgar here derails a title shot. He could have had an easier fight with Stephens and still be the #1 contender. But I think he wants to make a statement to Uncle Dana for by passing him for the interim title. He wants it to be clear that he gets the next shot at the title.

The Cain rematch is absurd (but then so is 30% of UFC matchmaking). I think no matter which way the Aldo/Conor fight goes, there will be a rematch. That fight is going to make a lot of money for all parties involved, so unless it is an epic beatdown of Conor (which I don't see) then the UFC will instantly book the rematch. Which blows. This whole rematch nonsense is absurd. Hold up a title for a year. Or more in the case of Cain, who, given his injury history, is a 50-50 shot at best to make his fight with Werdum in one piece.

i completely agree .
the UFC loves Conor and Aldo deserves a rematch with all his defences although if the rumours are true and he retires then i Guess Aldo won't get a rematch .
But i think the Cain rematch comes down to the fact the UFC wants the Mexican market and there hoping that the only reason Cain lost was the fact he was coming back from injury .

A loss for Edgar here derails a title shot. He could have had an easier fight with Stephens and still be the #1 contender. But I think he wants to make a statement to Uncle Dana for by passing him for the interim title. He wants it to be clear that he gets the next shot at the title.

Frankie beat the #1 contender already (Swanson) took a super fight with Faber and now has to fight Mendes whom fought for the title twice and the interim title. It's complete injustice to Frankie Edgar and considering he's arguably the 2nd best fighter all time 155 and below, he deserves a lot better.

it makes sense why people complain.

if chad wins.......wtf

if frankie wins, they will make him fight 1 more because chad just lost. and they will give max the title shot

I like this match.
But I find it very illogical as Frankie was already ahead of Mendes.
Then Mendes gets a "title shot" over Frankie.
Not bad, they were both at the top.

but now, mendes just lost to Conor, why is he fighting Frankie?

IMHO not fair with Frankie.

Frankie beat the #1 contender already (Swanson) took a super fight with Faber and now has to fight Mendes whom fought for the title twice and the interim title. It's complete injustice to Frankie Edgar and considering he's arguably the 2nd best fighter all time 155 and below, he deserves a lot better.

I agree. As a fight this is great. Its just at weird time with lots of implications on the title picture. But then again with Dana's WWE style booking lately, who knows who is next in line.

it makes sense why people complain.

if chad wins.......wtf

if frankie wins, they will make him fight 1 more because chad just lost. and they will give max the title shot

If chad wins... why wtf ? He will rightfully get the next title shot by beating the clear #1 ranked fighter in the division. Remember, Mendes vs. Conor wasn't for the FW title.So it hardly counts as a title shot.

If frankie wins... Hell no they won't make him fight 1 more... He will get the next title shot. Where are you getting these ideas from ?

Same as "people",you also should stop complaining.

i completely agree .
the UFC loves Conor and Aldo deserves a rematch with all his defences although if the rumours are true and he retires then i Guess Aldo won't get a rematch .
But i think the Cain rematch comes down to the fact the UFC wants the Mexican market and there hoping that the only reason Cain lost was the fact he was coming back from injury .

The way the relationship between Aldo and the UFC is going lately, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't give him an instant rematch. And I don't see Aldo retiring if he loses, McGregor is a gold mine for him.

If chad wins... why wtf ? He will rightfully get the next title shot by beating the clear #1 ranked fighter in the division. Remember, Mendes vs. Conor wasn't for the FW title.So it hardly counts as a title shot.

If frankie wins... Hell no they won't make him fight 1 more... He will get the next title shot. Where are you getting these ideas from ?

Same as "people",you also should stop complaining.

If Frankie wins the title shot is his. If Mendes wins I think it depends who is the champ. Imo it's too soon for a rematch with Aldo, DFW might make a shady move to avoid that.

In no way Holloway deserves a title shot without beating at least one of those two. Especially because the fight he last won didn't really happen.

Because we want Edgar vs. Holloway.

Why not just set that up ? Makes more sense in the title picture.

From a divisional standpoint the fight doesn't make much sense. From a 'best fight the best' standpoint this is a terrific match and one which has been waiting because both guys were on separate title fight paths. Conor's rise has definitely altered that path for poor Frankie. We all know he isn't getting a shot until next year at the earliest, and if Conor beats Aldo then it wont happen until mid next year as Aldo will get an insta-rematch.

But this is still one of the very best non-title matchups that can be made in the UFC today and one fans have discussed for quite a while. While I feel a bit sorry for Frankie I am thrilled that we get to see such a great fight between two really good FWs.

Back