1. Where did your likes go? Please Read This Thread »

Why are people acting like Wilder-Fury 3 is a forgone conclusion? Crazy...

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by TheMaster, Jun 27, 2020.

1. TheMaster Take The Road To Reality

People seem to have short memories. Fury came 0.5 seconds away from losing first fight by KO.

Yes he is the heavy favourite in the third fight but counting out Wilder is foolish.

2. Seano Hands of bone

Well, because Wilder didn't have much in the rematch. I agree some are a bit too quick to write him off.

FierceRedBelt likes this.
  3. BoxingMMA Brown Belt

It’s because taking away those knockdowns, the first fight was an easy win, the second one was even easier and it just seems the most confidence fury gets, the most wilders goes away, so a third fight just seems like it’ll be an even stronger fury vs an even lesser wilder

that’s on paper, wilder still can beat everyone in any round, I think wilder is the most difficult fight for fury, more than Joshua.

Buddy Revell likes this.
  4. Hagler Man of wealth and taste

Rematches go to the guy who adjusts better, and adjusting isn't exactly Wilder's forte.

He'll always have a puncher's chance, of course, but Fury's recovery makes it even smaller.

5. PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

Heres my list

1. Fury is more skilled.
    2. A lot of people dont like Wilder.
    3. Many fans have a one fight memory.

I do think its hilariously stupid to write off someone who can end the fight at any moment, any time. But Ive got it about 65/35 Fury myself. I think Fury will go back to boxing in the third go around.

5acrossYOeye and RabbitPunch36 like this.
  6. Goatenstein Black Belt

Fury landed one lucky ear punch in two fights. Everything else sissy girl slaps. Wilder will be inactive, lose a UD, then cry about it on Twitter.

FierceRedBelt likes this.
  7. Buddy Revell Amazon Prime Unboxing Champion

Based purely on performance:

1. Fury clearly outboxed Wilder in the first fight...
    2. he clearly pushed his shit in the second fight.

So anyone who knows a goddamn thing about boxing can see that Deontay has nothing but a puncher's chance. The only way that 'Tay can win is if he puts together his best 1-2, or 2-3 combo. And even better combo than he landed in the first fight, which was not good enough to sleep Fury.

Point is: Deontay is rightfully the prohibitive underdog going into the third matchup.

It's not a foregone conclusion, but an event that has an Everton winning the premier league level chance of occuring. Could it happen... yes! Will it happen... highly unlikely.

8. SuperLuigi Red Belt

Fury was coming off a huge layoff being 300 lbs of chesseburgers

9. Seano Hands of bone

"Take away the KDs" kind of overlooks how close Fury was to being stopped in round 12. Wilder's strength is his power, so its like saying take away Wilders power and how does he win? He doesn't. Wilder is a guy who is losing and erases all the other rounds with a big shot.

TheMaster and PUO3 like this.
  10. BoxingMMA Brown Belt

yea it’s why I said I still find him to be the most dangerous opponent for fury, even if it seemed in the second fight he was further away from being able to land the big punch once fury started moving forward instead of backward.

maybe he will adapt in the third fight, I just wish the Joshua fight happened first

11. aries Silver Belt

Wilder got close in the first fight but got absolutely dominated in the second fight. This is only going in one direction so that would indicate that a third fight goes even worse for Deontay. Plus he hasn't shown anything to indicate that his approach needs serious alteration. The lack of ability to recognise that you need to change up your approach does not fill me with confidence that Wilder can do anything to change the outcome of this fight. If Wilder was a cerebral kind of fighter I'd give him a small chance in the third fight but he's the total opposite. Relying on landing a big right hand on your toughest opponent is not going to get the job done I'm afraid.

Blake_UK likes this.
  12. YourBoss Blue Belt

Fury is younger, Fury will be more confident, Fury already has a gamplan that works, Wilder will be demoralized, Wilder best shot couldnt ko 60% Fury, Wilder is damaged etc. Not much in favor of Wilder.

Quacky Chan, Blake_UK and Kim Jong Un like this.
  13. TheGreatA Silver Belt

It's tough to get excited about a pure "puncher's chance" match-up. I mean, it's the heavyweight division, everybody has a puncher's chance. But if that's literally all you've got, it's not like a whole lot of people are going to tune in, just to see that 1% chance possibly being realized.

The only question really is whether Fury has the discipline to repeat his previous performance. It's possible that he'll be slacking and Wilder will find more openings, unless his confidence is just completely shot.

We've seen it at times when a guy has a "peak performance", then they're forced to fight another rematch instantly, and suddenly struggle with a guy they just dominated. Because it's impossible to maintain that same level of focus and preparation against a guy you already beat. Historically, Jersey Joe Walcott won the HW belt against Charles in their 3rd fight with a one punch KO, after already losing two fights pretty convincingly.

14. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

He says he got up to over 400 pounds. That looks about right considering he was 273 pounds on fight night against Wilder in the rematch and looked nowhere near this huge.

SuperLuigi likes this.
  15. deucesarewild Blue Belt

I can't see why Fury would fight any way other than the way he did in the second. Crowded Wilder who needs space to step into his right hand. Used a very hard jab to push him back and take him off balance. Wilder had no answers. Kept crossing his feet backing up. Was weaker and couldn't muscle him back.

Or, I'm all wrong and Wilder just shouldn't wear a 40 lb. suit....

evergreenrider and Quacky Chan like this.
  16. Hugh G Rection Brown Belt

The analogy is so fitting. For Everton and Wilder!

Buddy Revell likes this.
  17. hiphopnazi Brown Belt

No regular Boxing poster here is completely writing off Wilder. He was soundly being beating in both Ortiz and Fury 1 bouts but as you know, when you have incredible power like him, fights can turn real quick. Most here are backing Fury with some posters secretly hoping Wilder wins.

Kovalev's "Man Bag" likes this.
  18. HuskySamoan Brown Belt

Going into the first Wilder fight, Fury was coming off a 3 year layoff due to retirement, depression, cocaine addiction and morbid obesity...He fought a couple gimme fights en route to Wilder and was visibly still losing the weight while boxing which is crazy. The dud lost about 140lbs in under 18 months on his way to the Wilder fight, was retired for 3 year, got over 400lbs, established an eating and drug addiction....Clearly won the first fight, was robbed with a draw and then dominated the rematch.

I thought Wilder was going to knock him stiff in the firt fight, I didn't believe someone could lose almost 150lbs, retire for 3 years in their prime and come back from a cocaine addiction and regain the Heavyweight championship vs the Number 1 guy in the division. Sure Wilder has a punchers chance, and in his case it's significant but I'm not interested in the trilogy. I want to see Joshua vs Fury and I also want to see if Usyk can put himself into the mix.

evergreenrider, Blake_UK and seau45 like this.
  19. BoxingMMA Brown Belt

There’s just something cool about watching wilder fight, “anything can happen at any moment” haS never been more real in boxing than when wilder fights, even if I think fury is superior, wilder is just fun as hell to watch.

20. Kovalev's "Man Bag" I don't do titles

Wilder is still a very live dog due to his punch so he hasn't been entirely written off as this thread suggests. I suspect the lack of optimism in rating his chances here is because initially it was assumed that Fury had to fight the perfect fight for 12 rounds and box. The rematch showed that wasn't the case. Fury is now stylistically an even worse match-up for Wilder than we originally thought heading into the first fight (as Fury didn't know he could intelligently press him successfully until the last round). He can choose to be on the front foot or the back foot this time. Another obvious factor would be how Wilder's confidence will look now that he's not just lost but been stopped.

FierceRedBelt and PUO3 like this.