Why are people acting like DC got destroyed/DC broke?

Jones won decisively and even though he did not destroy Cormier, it feels like he did. By the end of the third round it truly looked like he had a real, honest to goodness chance at taking the right. Then his body gave out on him in the last two rounds. Psychologically, for those of us who wanted him to bring Jones down and ruin his fanboys' year, it does feel like Cormier was destroyed worse than Shogun was.

You could see he broke. His corner knew he broke. Inbetween rounds they asked him if he wanted to win and he half heartedly said yes. They told him he needs to try for the takedowns...his response was a a sad "I am trying" which completely threw his corner of guard.

During the press conference i really felt terrible for him. When asked about how he was feeling Cormier talked about the loss and said his entire athletic career he has always come up short and it was hard to take. You could see in his face the realization that he will never be champion.

DC is 36. JJ is 27. That age difference manifested itself in the latter stages of the fight. JJ was in better shape and won because of it. DC never stopped fighting his ass off and therefore never broke or gave up. Nevertheless, he lost decisively.

I hate Jon Jones more than ever now, btw. Whether it's Rumble or Gus I don't care, but I want someone to make Jones do the Shad face.

I mostly agree, however, I don't feel the body work Jones was doing to damage Cormier's gas tank is getting it's proper dues.

Jon made DC carry him in the clinch and repeatedly went to the body to sap him.

That's a damn good point, too. The kicks and knees to the body didn't help DC's gas any.

After all the talk DC didn't even give Jones the hardest challenge of his career (he won 1 round more than average Jones opponent and lasted till the decision, but that's not much for the man who was "put on Earth to compete").
DC lost round 4 pretty badly, and that was the most memorable thing in the fight.

So, after you forget all the forgettable parts, fans will remember that DC talked too much and was beaten pretty bad.

DC wasn't really destroyed, but you are delusional if you don't think he was broken especially mentally.

DC elevated Jon really good at the end of the fight and was on him for the end of the fight right up until jones faked the fight ending. The 5th went much better for him than the 4th. broken fighters dont get better between rounds.

I mostly agree, however, I don't feel the body work Jones was doing to damage Cormier's gas tank is getting it's proper dues.

Jon made DC carry him in the clinch and repeatedly went to the body to sap him.

I agree. It bugs me that Sherdog's popular opinion regarding the fight is that Cormier:

1 - wasn't aggressive enough (wut?)

or

2 - didn't have the stamina

When the reality is that Cormier faded, and lost, because Jones was so successful with the body shots: punches, knees and even middle kicks. No one is going to walk through the kind of shots he took and keep the pace. THIS to me was the story of the fight.

Yeah, DC didn't look like he was in any sort of trouble whatsoever.

It's just the fact that he gassed that made him look bad. lol

Jones beat him mentally. To some it is worse than getting bloodied.

People like a narrative. In reality, it was a very close fight through 3 and Jones' stamina stood up a little better over the final two rounds where very little meaningful offense occurred from either fighter. Jones deserves a lot of credit for digging deep and being in better condition than Cormier, but it was a close fight that was edged by Jones' better stamina and not a whole lot more.

Jones is fighting 5-rounders since what, 2011? DC, methinks had exactly one 5-rounder in his career, when he was fighting Barnett 2 years ago. He may train with Cain, but he hasn't been having training camps for 25-minute fights 2-3 times a year for the last 4 years.
And DC has eaten WAY TOO MANY body shots coming in and fighting at distance - it's not noticeable at once, but it really screws the fighter's gas tank in the championship rounds.

People like a narrative. In reality, it was a very close fight through 3 and Jones' stamina stood up a little better over the final two rounds where very little meaningful offense occurred from either fighter. Jones deserves a lot of credit for digging deep and being in better condition than Cormier, but it was a close fight that was edged by Jones' better stamina and not a whole lot more.

This is the best post I've seen on the topic. Especially the first sentence.

Jones beat him mentally. To some it is worse than getting bloodied.
i think dc beat himself mentally
he had too high expectations
i think he and his camp didn't realize how big and strong jj really is in comparison (the fans too)
so he talked too much before the fight and couldn't deliver what he wanted
then he broke after the fight, coz the dissapointement and expectations were so high

As much as I can't stand Jones he did made DC look bad last night. 4-1 easily IMO.

Jones is fighting 5-rounders since what, 2011? DC, methinks had exactly one 5-rounder in his career, when he was fighting Barnett 2 years ago. He may train with Cain, but he hasn't been having training camps for 25-minute fights 2-3 times a year for the last 4 years.
And DC has eaten WAY TOO MANY body shots coming in and fighting at distance - it's not noticeable at once, but it really screws the fighter's gas tank in the championship rounds.

He ate body shots. "Way too many" is entirely up for debate. I mean, with the gameplan Cormier had, he was going to get hit at times, but he was able to hit Jones plenty, as well, and it's not as if he was hit with titanic shots at will. While Cormier did slow down more, Jones also slowed considerably (and this was especially apparent in the 5th). It was the pace and style of the fight that wore on both fighters. Jones just dealt with it slightly better.

Perfect summary. While this fight had a lot of hype due to personal conflict, if you take all that away, there was very little "romance"* for viewers who aren't familiar with/fans of hand fighting, dirty boxing, and in the fight's less-than-finer moments, wall & stall.

While I wish I could say that this was truly a Fight Of The Year candidate, worthy of all the hype, it was no more than a war of attrition with brief moments of emotion shining through techniques that many seem to regard as "boring." Coupled with the fact that both guys seemed fairly worn in the later rounds, it certainly didn't have the appeal that many made it out to have.

*I'm using that terminology because while I'm not a huge fan of Jones, at the post-fight press conference, he mentioned that this fight wasn't as "sexy" as some of his others. I found this to be interesting terminology, in the same way that Rogan described Anderson's fights as a "ballet of violence."

...because he was weeping on camera for several hours after the fight?

Because Sherdog is filled with morons and kids that can't think for themselves.

DC wasn't 'broke' during the fight, his cardio just wasn't good enough for that kind of fight.

The first 3 rounds were extremely competitive but Cormier gassed out in the championship rounds.

This wasn't domination by Jones, and this is coming from a guy that had Jones winning this fight from the get-go.

I haven't seen Jones stall that much in any fight. He'd hurt every single fighter he's faced on the feet in his championship reign except Cormier. He hit some takedowns but wasn't able to do shit with them.

Back