Why are millenials/Gen Xers in favour of immigration, no borders?

I see a lot of memes and youtube videos of young people complaining about baby boomers.

Bitter stuff like:

grid-cell-28965-1406902061-10.jpg

old-economy-steve2_0.jpg

It's like, look, if the population of the country is smaller, you will have AFFORDABLE HOUSING and BIGGER WAGES ... Constantly having mass immigration into your countries and cities, pushes salaries down and house prices up. It's simple supply and demand.

Baby Boomers didn't have to compete with immigrants that would do their jobs for 10% of the salary. They didn't have to compete on the housing market by trying to buy houses with huge inflated prices due to more people. The more people you have come in from outside, the less resources you have for you. It's simple.

It's beggars belief why young people today, actively encourage mass migration and vote leftist parties. They long for the opporutinities of the baby boomers and yet vote against that ...

It's not simple. You've completely ignored the changes the economy has undergone in the last fifty years, and you've also ignored the fact that immigrants help growth by increasing productivity. Sure, you can contest each of these claims, but the point is that you're original argument is both poorly informed and overly simplistic.

In general, I think the answer to your question is that millennials have grown up in a digital age that valued cosmopolitanism. There are other reasons, but this one strikes me as noteworthy.

It's not simple. You've completely ignored the changes the economy has undergone in the last fifty years, and you've also ignored the fact that immigrants help growth by increasing productivity. Sure, you can contest each of these claims, but the point is that you're original argument is both poorly informed and overly simplistic.

In general, I think the answer to your question is that millennials have grown up in a digital age that valued cosmopolitanism. There are other reasons, but this one strikes me as noteworthy.
That's a fact

http://www.wsj.com/articles/germanys-welfare-bill-rises-169-as-refugee-numbers-grow-1473077920

oh wait... it's funny, tell native citizens not to breed because climate change, bring in immigrants and have them breed to increase productivity. It's almost like they are trying to change the demographics :rolleyes:

Borders are like having walls to your house. I assume you live between walls and don't just let strangers stroll in and out of your house?

you do realize that borders arent in place to keep strangers away? otherwise there would be 0 tourism in the world today (among other things)

I live between walls mostly to be safe from the weather conditions
I lock the doors because I live in one of the bigger cities (I didnt lock doors when I lived on the countryside) - I would proceed to lock my doors even if there were exactly 0 immigrants in the country I live in

"we are all in this together" ... If climate change "kicks in", and the world goes offline and post-apocolyptic, you will be the first to get lynched with that attitude. Humans are tribal by nature and in the state of nature is every man for himself.

well good luck with your attitude of distrusting everyone - that mentality will keep you alive for much longer.. /s

I'm a millennial, what dumbass wants open borders? Sounds like a horrible idea lol

I see a lot of memes and youtube videos of young people complaining about baby boomers.

Bitter stuff like:

grid-cell-28965-1406902061-10.jpg

old-economy-steve2_0.jpg

It's like, look, if the population of the country is smaller, you will have AFFORDABLE HOUSING and BIGGER WAGES ... Constantly having mass immigration into your countries and cities, pushes salaries down and house prices up. It's simple supply and demand.

Baby Boomers didn't have to compete with immigrants that would do their jobs for 10% of the salary. They didn't have to compete on the housing market by trying to buy houses with huge inflated prices due to more people. The more people you have come in from outside, the less resources you have for you. It's simple.

It's beggars belief why young people today, actively encourage mass migration and vote leftist parties. They long for the opporutinities of the baby boomers and yet vote against that ...

They like the idea of mass immigration because they have been told to like it by mass media.

They have never, ever had to do anything on their own, nothing for themselves- and that includes thinking and forming opinions.

They've had strange ideas like white privilege drilled into their heads for their entire lives.

A better question is why people keep blaming immigration for something that isn't related to it.

Why do you want this? Why do you want to see the people you love so much be used so we can go to fancy restaurants? Your attitude towards this is so selfish. Take in all the best and low skilled workers and leave the other countries with nothing and let them continue to have many children born into poverty and shitty living conditions.

Of course another self hating Canadian. You think your own country men are dumb asses and think immigrants are these wonderfully enlightened people that we can learn so much from. What a sick and twisted way of thinking.

It's funny some Canadian progressives say they're against all this immigration and multiculturalism yet still promote it in Canada and constantly says it works here. Canadians are so fucking smug and arrogant.

Canada.... and Sweden.... the only place where mass immigration, refugees and multiculturalism works.

It's the truth. My first two years I spent in a college with a large percentage of dumb and lazy people from my country. They were terrible to work with. However, the foreign students typically worked very hard. Once I transferred to university everyone works hard and is intelligent. If it wasn't for the foreign student money, the university would have looked more like the college with some motivated and a lot of unmotivated domestics...and the college probably wouldn't even exist. The facilities would be shit as well.

The truth is I grew up in a pretty white-washed community, as I got older I started realizes that lots of my friends parents were immigrants. Some from Turkey, Croatia, Serbia...etc. Their kids were so Canadianized I never imagined their parents were from other countries. Some of them come here and work their fucking asses off and break the standard. They wind up running their own company's and adding to the Canadian economy.

Like I said, I understand controlling immigration. You don't want it to happen so fast that those arriving don't adopt local norms and values. But my country is massive, there is room for many more. I know four guys who have Indian parents. I swear they are as white as any of us. They love sports, the gym and having a beer with friends.

That's why a lot of people in Canada don't view immigration as this terrible evil like you do in the United States. We also don't have a massive porous border in our south. If I was in the US I would want that thing locked down as well. It's ridiculous.

they're brainwashed kids who envision a utopia where everyone is holding hands and singing kumbaya, without bothering with the ramifications of mass immigration and the clashing of different cultures.

I see a lot of memes and youtube videos of young people complaining about baby boomers.]

Do you have an econ textbook in mind which states that falling birth rates aren't harmful for an economy? Cause dang, this'd be news to me.

I have (or had) plenty of relatives who were fighting in the East. They knew what was going on, believe me. My godfather's sister is pushing 90 and she told me last year that it was an open secret in the village that the Jews who were put on eastbound trains were going there to die. She said she did not question it at the time because she loved the Führer.

I have personally been to two concentration camps. I have very little doubt with regard to the truth of the official version of events. But as someone born in the mid-1980s, I do not feel inhibited by it and I also do not feel shame or guilt.

But I do think it is important we learn our lesson from it. The problem is that depending on who you are, the lessons are pretty different.

Jews: never be weak again, always act from position of strength and dominance

Germans: never allow a situation again where a regime can exist that ignores human rights and abolishes democracy. Cooperate with your neighbours and do not allow nationalism to be the sole driving force.

United States: never again appease expansionist fascists

UK / France: never allow Germany to be the dominant force on the continent again

there is not enough said about america's crimes. the piece of shit eisenhower intentionally starved millions of german soldiers, breaking the geneva convention. even when the red cross came with trucks loaded with food for the german soldiers, they were told to drive away. we're not taught that in our american schools. everyone involved in the war has blood on their hands.

lol just keep bringing them in and sit back and watch your own people turn into mindless drones. Very nice.

Adults are being turned into children that can't think for themselves.

Yeahhhhhhhhh. You people are ACTUALLY advocating against higher education. That's a pretty strong indicator of who I'm talking to on these issues.

Lol'ing doesn't make your rebuttal any stronger.

Less education = mindless drones like you see in rural America

More education = free thinking and increased cognition

They are taught that in school and are disciplined for disagreeing. Their parents tell them that teachers are smart and trustworthy and that if we listen to them, it will make us successful in life. Teachers teach truths like mathematics and then throw in all the neo-marxism along with it, as if it is scientifically certain

Sometime between 1st and 3rd grade I had a teacher who would ask us "why is America so great?" And I had to answer "diversity. Diversity is our strength because we learn from so many cultures" to get the answer "correct"

You are so full of crap it hurts. I am a teacher. Most teachers, if anything, are biased because they are conservative or religious. I don't understand where this whole idea of us having meetings on how we're going to subliminally teach Marxism comes from.

Its either zero immigration or open borders right?

Yup.

All these mouth breathers are absolutely certain that the US either A) already has open borders, or B) is really, really close to having open borders.

Never mind the 20,000+ border patrol agents, never mind $100 billion spent on technology in the border, never mind 68% of the DHS's funding going to border enforcement*. No, there's open borders and it's an attack on our sovereignty!

Then again, we've been living in a fact-free zone since Dubya. It FEELS like there's open borders therefore there's open borders and that's all there is to it.

*Source: http://unitedwedream.org/9-things-you-should-know-about-border-militarization/

Yeah it sounds real savage when you put it like that, but as a millennial, i think people my age are just pussies and social media driven. It's not hard to get a job, find a place, and live a decent life, it's just relatively boring to do that and a lot of people my age live solely for excitement and expression of self.

How I put it is true though. I wouldn't call millenials in as a whole pussies. I know plenty of millenia hustling two jobs right now.

People our age live for excitement because there is major uncertainty in the job and housing markets.

I'm quite guilty of that myself, I party five to six days a week.

Also I read an interesting post on Facebook about how it's unfair to call us the participation tropjy generation when the kids never asked for it. Parents couldn't handle their kids not being great at something.

You are so full of crap it hurts. I am a teacher. Most teachers, if anything, are biased because they are conservative or religious. I don't understand where this whole idea of us having meetings on how we're going to subliminally teach Marxism comes from.

people want to force texas to not use schoolbooks that teach creationism

you teach in the exception. you should see schools in california (where i live) and other heavy blue states

i dont think they have secret meetings but leftists will only hire leftists and consider anyone else to be unfit to teach children

Because American are to lazy to do any of the jobs immigrants do. They lie by saying they would do the work if it paid better, but chose not to work and make no $. Plain stupid lol

You're oversimplifying an extremely complex issue. Closing our borders and trying to bring in an era of isolationism is absurd. Our border with Mexico has been and always will be porous. There are millions of immigrants already living inside our country. What's your solution? Round em' all up and deport them? Build a titatinum wall 100 yards wide and just as tall??

The only practical solution is to offer a path to citizenship for those who want to become citizens so they can pay their fair share.

Millenials lean towards encouraging open immigration because we live in the era of globalism. There's no going back buddy, might as well embrace the change rather than doggedly holding onto the idea that we could ever control immigration the way you're pining for.

You realize that most nations control their borders right? It's only Western nations that are completely obsessed with multiculturalism and have been pushing propaganda with that in mind for decades.

It's deliberate policy.

It's also not a binary thing. Establishing more control over borders and tightening up immigration policy does not mean ending immigration or becoming 'isolated'.

As a gen exer, and an immigrant I'm pro immigration. If done intelligently, it benefits both the state and the newcomers greatly.

As someone with more than 2 functioning brain cells I'm very anti open borders as it's the opposite of a smart immigration policy.
what do we think of this?

http://www.wnd.com/2016/12/refugee-resettlement-accelerates-in-obamas-final-months/
Through the first 11 weeks of fiscal year 2017, the United States welcomed 23,428 individuals as “refugees,” according to the Refugee Processing Center. At this rate, the U.S. will resettle roughly 110,580 this fiscal year, which would exceed President Obama’s target of 110,000.

Back