Why are millenials/Gen Xers in favour of immigration, no borders?

Because the overwhelming majority of Americans, especially the younger generations, are fueled by emotion. Be it fear, anger, happiness, empathy. They base their political and social outlooks on an arbitrary sense of righteousness. Feeling bad for the poor immigrants is part of that. This line of thinking is dangerous and has no place in politics.

The baby boomers are to stupid to run an immigration policy.

I disagree.

I'm not pissed, just confused as to why young people support mass immigration. It's completely against their interests. Technology replacing jobs doesn't help, but neither does millions of immigrants.

Things only make sense if you put it in the context of Nationalism vs. Globalism. Our schools are almost filled with liberals top to bottom, our media is controlled by liberals almost top to bottom. Many on the left believe in a world without borders, a world of free trade, a world where all of humanity is one, they are essentially globalists. Running in opposition to that are Nationalists who are pretty much on the right. So it comes down to schools pounding that globalist all inclusive ideology at every opportunity.

Why do you think the back door to Mexico is wide open to millions of illegal immigrants while at the same time we have a war on terror, but we leave the back door open so that terrorists could literally just walk right into the country? Does that make sense to you? It only makes sense if you understand that globalists can't close borders, it goes against their vision for the world. Why do you think Merkel in Germany insists on bringing in all the refugees? She is a globalist bruh, that's why.

Why do you think people lose their shit when Trump says build a wall, or make a Muslim registry, or deport illegals, they lose thier shit because that is a nationalist policy and the left, the globalists, desperately want to build the "One World."

Did'nt you americans have that saying?

"If You Are Not a Liberal at 25, You Have No Heart. If You Are Not a Conservative at 35 You Have No Brain"

It's kinda accurate young peoples are into idealistic shit, then they get real

I have a giggle everytime I see those memes. Sure they're cynical but cynical self deprecation has become the theme this day and age. A lot of people came to age to vote after the failed war that plunged us into debt, the housing bubble boom that made people fresh out of high school and college struggle to find adequate housing, a drying up job market outside of the service industry, in crippling student debt for something they were groomed from elementary school to do. Countless young people coming back from a failed war with mental disorders and overall disenfranchised from a lot of society. A growing homeless issue, economic and political instability, you're speaking of the generation of dead dreams and paycheck to paycheck realities.

There's plenty of reasons besides "they're weak" as some bitter ass poster put it earlier.
Yeah it sounds real savage when you put it like that, but as a millennial, i think people my age are just pussies and social media driven. It's not hard to get a job, find a place, and live a decent life, it's just relatively boring to do that and a lot of people my age live solely for excitement and expression of self.

No ability to think critically, believe everything they're told, trying hard to be cool.

Many reasons.

We need to raise the voting age from 18 to 30

The ones who are are the same people who have always believed what they're told. If an authority figure (including media) tells them something, it's true and accepted without a second thought. Millennials have not seen a moment of stability during their whole lives and live in perpetual fear of losing even the few opportunities they believe they have. They don't believe they can significantly alter their destiny and just try to mindlessly distract themselves from the reality they can't deal with.

I just realized that I am a millennial:mad: I always thought I was Generation X. I was born in 1980
So I barley made the cutoff, but I still didn't realize I was a Millennial.

genx.png

I read an interesting article titled "The Oregon Trail Generation: Life Before and After Mainstream Tech" that was pretty interesting. The article is about those of us born at the tail end of the 70s and the start of the 80s that were the last group to have a childhood devoid of technology and social media.

It's a pretty good read if you grew up in this time period. Here's the link if you're interested.
https://socialmediaweek.org/blog/2015/04/oregon-trail-generation/

I disagree.

I'm not pissed, just confused as to why young people support mass immigration. It's completely against their interests. Technology replacing jobs doesn't help, but neither does millions of immigrants.

Actually, millions of low-skilled immigrants do help us in the short term because they tend to work jobs that no one wants to work like a dish washer. Then, you are able to go out to a restaurant and enjoy a decent meal at a substantially lower price than you would have without immigration. This principle can be spread across many industries.

There is a comparable fundamental misunderstanding between how the United States continues to trade with China. While the US is buying a large percentage of their goods from China which means there are less manufacturing jobs available in the United States that this is inherently bad for US citizens. Actually, you can buy so much shit at extremely low prices due to the abundant cheap labor available in China. That is fantastic for US citizens. The problem is that you now have a bunch of disillusioned workers or the children of men who worked manufacturing jobs who are upset because it is no longer practical for companies to hire them to do their daddy's jobs. I say, boo fucking hoo. It benefits the United States and the world, those kids and their parents have to suck it up and train in a different field. Likely something more technical which will pay a similar wage to what their parents received manufacturing. The only difference is that now, they have far greater access to cheap manufactured goods from China and consequently, a higher standard of living.

Back to the original topic...you can make the argument that it's important to maintain your countries cultural integrity. It is much more challenging to completely destroy the culture of the United States than say...Denmark. I think even ultra-leftist Danes would agree they don't want to see 6 million Syrians come and outnumber them in the next year. They want to maintain their Danish culture. Immigration is fine. As long as you bring in high skilled people in fields you have a bit of a lag in and you bring in low-skilled immigrants. Sure, your basic economic assumption is correct, more people buying for X amount of homes is an increase in demand and therefore the price goes up. Meaning more immigrants makes it more difficult to achieve a home. However, you are completely ignoring the impact immigration has on the supply of homes. Inputs in homes include lumber and steel which will remain mostly unchanged by immigration and manufactured goods from...drumroll...CHINA. But...homes also require a lot of labor. Low-skilled immigrants fill this void. They significantly reduce the cost of labor, and in my research, this completely offsets and outweighs and increase in home prices due to immigrant demand. Besides, low-skilled immigrants are typically shelled up in outdated apartments, they tend not to directly compete with you for housing anyways.

A lot of gen Xers are in favor of immigration because they have seen the positive effects it has on their universities. I could be stuck with a bunch of dumbasses from my country (Canada)don't dont want to be in the program but are there because there parents told them to go to school or I could study with some fantasticly driven people from all over the world. They each pay 6 times higher tuition than I pay. Our university has incredible athletic facilities, programs, buildings and libraries all because of these students. Many of which will become Canadian citizens.

Now of course nothing is black and white. There are exceptions, for instance, Vancouver got completely fucked up by housing speculation driven by Chinese investors. These investors were typically laundering money out of China. They essentially made the city unlivable for young people. It pisses me off. They have introduced legislation to tax these Chinese investors who are buying and sitting on their properties. The marketing has begun to turn.

Anyways, I see your viewpoint and it's certainly one factor. But I think your ignoring the above implications. I am by the way for immigration in some scenarios and not in others. First and foremost, I think everyone in the world should take steps to avoid mass immigration that prevents the adoption of cultural values, because I like that our world is a diverse place. I would rather not see everywhere on earth be one big melting pot....and each region to lose its flavor. But economically, it's hard to deny the validity of immigration, at least, if your country has the physical capacity for expansion (the United States and Canada do, Europe...not so much).

Technology is a much bigger factor in the changes to the American economy than immigration. If you want to be pissed of at anyone it should be Steve Jobs and Bill Gates not your gardener.

Do you live in California? Where whites are not a majority? Where in SINGLE counties illegals can cost billions per year?

Did you know nearly 100 hospitals have closed in California because of the costs of caring for illegals who get "free" care?

I just realized that I am a millennial:mad: I always thought I was Generation X. I was born in 1980

genx.png

I read an interesting article titled "The Oregon Trail Generation: Life Before and After Mainstream Tech" that was pretty interesting. The article is about those of us born at the tail end of the 70s and the start of the 80s that were the last group to have a childhood devoid of technology and social media.

It's a pretty good read if you grew up in this time period. Here's the link if you're interested.

I grew up in that time period. We are the last disconnect generation. It was wonderful. We only had computers in the classroom for "computer class."

ha

Actually, millions of low-skilled immigrants do help us in the short term because they tend to work jobs that no one wants to work like a dish washer. Then, you are able to go out to a restaurant and enjoy a decent meal at a substantially lower price than you would have without immigration. This principle can be spread across many industries.

There is a comparable fundamental misunderstanding between how the United States continues to trade with China. While the US is buying a large percentage of their goods from China which means there are less manufacturing jobs available in the United States that this is inherently bad for US citizens. Actually, you can buy so much shit at extremely low prices due to the abundant cheap labor available in China. That is fantastic for US citizens. The problem is that you now have a bunch of disillusioned workers or the children of men who worked manufacturing jobs who are upset because it is no longer practical for companies to hire them to do their daddy's jobs. I say, boo fucking hoo. It benefits the United States and the world, those kids and their parents have to suck it up and train in a different field. Likely something more technical which will pay a similar wage to what their parents received manufacturing. The only difference is that now, they have far greater access to cheap manufactured goods from China and consequently, a higher standard of living.

Back to the original topic...you can make the argument that it's important to maintain your countries cultural integrity. It is much more challenging to completely destroy the culture of the United States than say...Denmark. I think even ultra-leftist Danes would agree they don't want to see 6 million Syrians come and outnumber them in the next year. They want to maintain their Danish culture. Immigration is fine. As long as you bring in high skilled people in fields you have a bit of a lag in and you bring in low-skilled immigrants. Sure, your basic economic assumption is correct, more people buying for X amount of homes is an increase in demand and therefore the price goes up. Meaning more immigrants makes it more difficult to achieve a home. However, you are completely ignoring the impact immigration has on the supply of homes. Inputs in homes include lumber and steel which will remain mostly unchanged by immigration and manufactured goods from...drumroll...CHINA. But...homes also require a lot of labor. Low-skilled immigrants fill this void. They significantly reduce the cost of labor, and in my research, this completely offsets and outweighs and increase in home prices due to immigrant demand. Besides, low-skilled immigrants are typically shelled up in outdated apartments, they tend not to directly compete with you for housing anyways.

A lot of gen Xers are in favor of immigration because they have seen the positive effects it has on their universities. I could be stuck with a bunch of dumbasses from my country (Canada)don't dont want to be in the program but are there because there parents told them to go to school or I could study with some fantasticly driven people from all over the world. They each pay 6 times higher tuition than I pay. Our university has incredible athletic facilities, programs, buildings and libraries all because of these students. Many of which will become Canadian citizens.

Now of course nothing is black and white. There are exceptions, for instance, Vancouver got completely fucked up by housing speculation driven by Chinese investors. These investors were typically laundering money out of China. They essentially made the city unlivable for young people. It pisses me off. They have introduced legislation to tax these Chinese investors who are buying and sitting on their properties. The marketing has begun to turn.

Anyways, I see your viewpoint and it's certainly one factor. But I think your ignoring the above implications. I am by the way for immigration in some scenarios and not in others. First and foremost, I think everyone in the world should take steps to avoid mass immigration that prevents the adoption of cultural values, because I like that our world is a diverse place. I would rather not see everywhere on earth be one big melting pot....and each region to lose its flavor. But economically, it's hard to deny the validity of immigration, at least, if your country has the physical capacity for expansion (the United States and Canada do, Europe...not so much).

I disagree with your first point very much.

Immigrants do the jobs that we "don't want" argument is ridiculous. You act as if some jobs were simply not done, until mass migrants came along. Fruit wasn't picked, lawns were never mown, streets were never cleaned ...

A lot of young people in the baby booming period, did crap jobs while they were studying. This gave them experience and some extra money. These "crap jobs" are what our young generations need!

But now their livelihoods are being taken by immigrants using these "crap jobs" to support their families.

I had a job when I was 12. Delivering newspapers. I work in Japan and a lot of young students are working in convenience stores, fast food, restaurants ... "Crap jobs" that teach them the value of a dollar. If Japan allowed mass migration, a lot of these jobs simply wouldn't be available for their own citizens.

You know what's more stupid than criticizing baby-boomers? Blaming immigrants for bad economy and low-wages

You know what's more stupid than criticizing baby-boomers? Blaming immigrants for bad economy and low-wages

Mass migration of people into a given area affects wages and house prices.

Do you disagree? Explain how?

I have a giggle everytime I see those memes. Sure they're cynical but cynical self deprecation has become the theme this day and age. A lot of people came to age to vote after the failed war that plunged us into debt, the housing bubble boom that made people fresh out of high school and college struggle to find adequate housing, a drying up job market outside of the service industry, in crippling student debt for something they were groomed from elementary school to do. Countless young people coming back from a failed war with mental disorders and overall disenfranchised from a lot of society. A growing homeless issue, economic and political instability, you're speaking of the generation of dead dreams and paycheck to paycheck realities.

There's plenty of reasons besides "they're weak" as some bitter ass poster put it earlier.

did you hear the guy from dirty jobs has a small dick?

genx.png

Minus the whole 'graduating before Myspace' thing that article applies mostly to people my age group and I was born in early 87.

In ninth grade we had one computer game too. Oregon Trail and if you were licky you had a chance to play it.
Also had to learn DOS, then windows 3, then windows 95. Had a typing class in gradeschool on one of them new fangled word processors that you could type and edit a line before it did it's thing.

They are taught that in school and are disciplined for disagreeing. Their parents tell them that teachers are smart and trustworthy and that if we listen to them, it will make us successful in life.

That could not be further from the truth. My parents' generation still got beaten in school and parents were like 'Well you gotta have done something to deserve it'. When I went to school, parents had very little problems confronting teachers.

And the stuff in the memes is true to a good extent here in Germany. My mother got her first job in the 1970s by placing an ad in the newspaper. She got 80 (!!) offers. They had times with 8 to 10% interest rates on their savings. And I make more money than my parents ever did but will hardly be able to afford a house in my area with today's prices.

That has much more to do with wealth distribution than with immigration, but I am not gonna complain. I still have a good life.

Back