Why are many ELITE MMA fighters so bad at defending body kicks?

I don't know, like I said never thought about durability. lol. Chin yes, but durability no.
But chin is part of durability. MAX Holloway rarely stops anyone with a power shot. But I'd bet he'd drop almost anyone off the street with a good body shot or chin shot even if he doesn't get it in cage.. I'm just tryna given a clearer explanation of what I meant

But chin is part of durability. MAX Holloway rarely stops anyone with a power shot. But I'd bet he'd drop almost anyone off the street with a good body shot or chin shot even if he doesn't get it in cage.. I'm just tryna given a clearer explanation of what I meant

I know what you mean, I just can't say I have an opinion on it because it never crossed my mind. Interesting though, but when you break the fight down, it's chin and cardio or strike defense or foot work, never durability.

But I get what you mean.

Wait till TS sees how many soccer players miss the net.

mindblown.gif

I know what you mean, I just can't say I have an opinion on it because it never crossed my mind. Interesting though, but when you break the fight down, it's chin and cardio or strike defense or foot work, never durability.

But I get what you mean.
I understand the point he is making. The overall measuring stick is higher in fighters. One thing that fighters have to get used to is pain. It's unavoidable pretty much in combat sports. But even with that there are different levels of pain tolerance and some will be able to tolerate even more than the others. Pain tolerance is a mixture of physical and mental, some may tolerate the same amount of physical pain, but the mental tolerance for pain may be different. That's why some people get hit and move forward, while others may get hit and move back. Even though it's the exact same strike both will handle it differently. These type of strikes are different than the ones that put you out, those you have no control over. But the strikes you eat that don't put you out, the way you respond to that pain deals more with your level of pain tolerance.

Since fighters in general go through lots of different pains through training and sparring they will be more tolerant of pain overall than the average person who doesn't. The things people go through during normal training/sparring sessions would side line average people for a long time. Like others have mentioned dealing with broken bones, black eyes, torn ligaments, etc is normal to fighters - but to the average person it isn't.

Because they make the choice to protect their head when the kick is coming, which expose their body.

Because they don’t want to get their teeth kicked in......

A kick can land high, low, or in the middle. A lot of times you see the fighter thinking it’s coming high or low and it ends up in the middle.

It’s also one of those deals where if you have to guess if it’s going high or middle you would rather be wrong protecting your head than trying to protect your body and get your head kicked off.

This is the answer. Body is the lesser of two evils when a kick is incoming.

It's not a pedestal. It's just what my opinion is. Any athlete on pro level has way above average attributes depending on what the sport is. If you're a high level MMA fighter. Ur a durability even if poor for that level would be well beyond any normal person. Just like you said even wash out players would dominate the average. Look at 3rd tier league soccer player and put him in a college D1 game. He would probably easily take man of the match just as an example of what I mean. In MMAs case it's durability

exactly. you can even see this in MMA itself. there's levels to this shit. Anthony Johnson is/was an absolute KO machine at LHW. he has the real touch of death at LHW. but at HW against a supposed glass jaw Arlovski he couldn't finish him, even after breaking his jaw in the first rd.

it shows that Arlovski doesn't really have a glass jaw, and is in fact, much tougher than even elite LHW fighters much less average joes and it also shows that elite HWs hit with power that's out of this world. this is a guy that Rozenstriuk faceplanted with a jab, people should think about that.

Hands are usually high to protect your face

Back