why are is Mohamed written written and pronounced magomed by english speakers if dagis say it normal

KillerIsBack V2

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Khabib says is it normal here. Mohamed. in proper normal Arabic.
I never heard anybody replace the haa letter with a g when referencing arabs or persians.

It's a Russian thing, sometimes the H in a foreign language is replaced with a G in Russian (don't know the exact rule, I only studied Russian in high school lol). For example, Harry Potter is Гарри Поттер (Garri Potter)

Probably more of a Russian thing and it gets messy in the english translation. Just look up the names of important figures in UAE like Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum for example. Definitely not an english issue.

Reactions: HHJ
It's a Russian thing, sometimes the H in a foreign language is replaced with a G in Russian (don't know the exact rule, I only studied Russian in high school lol). For example, Harry Potter is Гарри Поттер (Garri Potter)
Yeah you're right.
And because of it probably some dumb translators fucked it up for everybody at one point and now it stretched out fucking everybody's names. lol

Oh damn, I been fuckin' up his last name royally.

I been saying ner-mag-o-med-off

Yeah you're right.
And because of it probably some dumb translators fucked it up for everybody at one point and now it stretched out fucking everybody's names. lol
Funny how that works, where the interpreted name is more widespread than the "real" one

The Russian language does not have the letter "H" (and most Russians have trouble pronouncing the letter H), so, generally, the letter "H" is replaced by "G". In some exceptional cases (in certain words or names), the letter "H" is just removed instead.

Hence, Mohamed because Magomed. The first "o" is replaced by an "a", because, in Russian, the first "o" in a word is pronounced as an "a". So they decided to write it as they would say it.

Basically, Russians also pronounce the name as Magomed, not Mohamed. Languages from the Caucasus (such as Avar) do have the letter H and someone like Khabib has no problem pronouncing his name as "Nurmohamed".

Why tf was this thread moved to the war room?

That's not how Caucasus people pronounce it btw. They pronounce it Magomed, nurmagomedov as its written. Khabib was just uber religious leading up to the conor fight so he decided his name was nur muhammadov.

Wow thanks for the history lesson

For second there I thought I was having a stroke.

Different languages pronounce things in different ways. Number one bullsheet.

Back