Why are Government/Municipal employees miserable and lazy?

People get that way when they realize that the crappy job with no room for advancement is what they're going to do for the rest of their lives.

I'm a state worker but not the cubicle type. We work as hard as any of the private contractors. Main difference is we're happier because we don't have a boss up our ass all day. I have the exact same work ethic as I did in the private sector. I'm just happier because there are less micromanagers here with their asses on the line.

The only bad part is that once you get a shit employee, it's very very hard to get rid of them. Sometimes it's so much work that people just store them away and forget about them. I know an engineer that makes 100k a year doing work that is hardly a step up from a secretary because they can't get rid of him and they can't trust him to engineer anything either.

i've had employees that are so complacent with doing the bare minimum that trying to motivate them to do bigger, better things is like a slap in the face to them. motivating them to think outside of the box and to get up to date with technology is so difficult, especially to the babyboomers in the workforce. i'm willing to even send them to get trained and they still turn it down....

getting rid of the dirt bags is so hard..... unless they are breaking the law, you'd have to fist counsel them on why they are fukc-ups, write a performance improvement plan, and regularly check to ensure they are following it. it could take almost 60 days of baby sitting an adult just to give them enough rope to hang themselves so they can get fired

I'm a state worker but not the cubicle type. We work as hard as any of the private contractors. Main difference is we're happier because we don't have a boss up our ass all day. I have the exact same work ethic as I did in the private sector. I'm just happier because there are less micromanagers here with their asses on the line.

The only bad part is that once you get a shit employee, it's very very hard to get rid of them. Sometimes it's so much work that people just store them away and forget about them. I know an engineer that makes 100k a year doing work that is hardly a step up from a secretary because they can't get rid of him and they can't trust him to engineer anything either.
Yep, we have a manager that they couldnt fire so they put him on "special assignment". Basically, he gets to sit home and collect a paycheck until he can retire. This guy makes six figures..

Another reason we cant do much out of our scope is that management is afraid that we will file for out of class, if you win you are pretty much automatically bumped up to that higher position. Having a union is a double edged sword, especially for people like me who want to do more than what their classification states.

People get that way when they realize that the crappy job with no room for advancement is what they're going to do for the rest of their lives.

theres ways to climb up in govt; you have to be willing to learn the skills to get to the next level and move to where the money is

Hey brah I might be miserable but I'm damn sure not lazy unless it's my Friday...or if I've been annoyed that day by my supervisor...or I just found out Barry gave me a bullshit 1% cost of living pay raise.

FYI government employees are the salt of the earth. No government employees, no government, no government, no country.

Last edited:
theres ways to climb up in govt; you have to be willing to learn the skills to get to the next level and move to where the money is
I have found the exact opposite. Are you with the feds or a state government? I have a lot of knowledge that was never put to use, also working on my ccna right now. Only one of my coworkers has that much knowledge, and most are in much higher classifications.

Last edited:
Santa Ana California has the craziest courthouse people you will ever see. Mexicans , illegals , druggies bums everywhere.

federal/DoD

i learned as much as i could and made myself invaluable to my organizations. then, when i've done everything i could and theres no more promotion potential, i go on to bigger, better things. i've been moving every 3 years or so, learning and growing

Hey brah I might be miserable but I'm damn sure not lazy unless it's my Friday...or if I've been annoyed that day get by my supervisor...or I just found out Barry gave me a bullshit cola 1% pay raise.

FYI government employees are the salt of the earth. No government employees, no government, no government, no country.

i get that 1% increase too but also get a 1.32% increase in locality. might not seem much but 37.07 locality and a step increase a few months later is awesome

It's not fair that you toss out the government employee away cuz maybe they aren't that miserable in RL.

Usually its the public workers that are miserable cuz they have to deal with idiots all day. Ever worked at McDonalds or the box office where you have to deal with the same idiots day in and day out?

I worked at the theatre before and the same idiots who think they are so smart comes up with the same jokes. They think they are so smart for "coming up" with a joke about a certain movie title but in fact I've heard of it from 100 other idiots who came by to buy the tickets.

That's nothing compared to what the DMV have to deal with. If you hate going to the DMV, imagine working there. Nobody who works there wants to work there. Nobody said "when I grow up I want to be a DMV employee". They're usually there cuz they have nothing better to do.

I don't know what you mean by lifer, but I can understand someone working there for 10+ years while trying to get a degree cuz life is tough especially in NY. Now they finally got a degree they can work at a place they actually enjoy thus spending 10+ years achieving it.

So I wouldn't ban them right off the bat. I would at least interview them and maybe talk to them about other non work related things to see their personality outside of work.

They are miserable because it's a miserable job and nobody wants to be there.

Because people are choosing a pension and benefits over a lifestyle.

These things are attainable in the private sector but can take more time to get them, and in general will require a higher level of performance.
Also dealing with bureaucracy and red-tape isn't exactly known to be a recipe for super happy sunshine employees.

I have found the exact opposite. Are you with the feds or a state government? I have a lot of knowledge that was never put to use, also working on my ccna right now. Only one of my coworker has that much knowledge, and most are in much higher classifications.

I don't like to brag but have you ever heard of the C.l.A's. Special activities division?

It's the paramilitary branch of the Company where it's mostly ex SEAL's and DELTA
I don't work for them but I am a fed we're basically all the same anyway depending on who you ask.

My problem with slack jawed civilian pukes that like to rag on us is that they've never walked a day in our shoes I mean can you imagine the relatively silent hell that is working for the post office?

Or the IRS where there is no other job more looked down upon in human history than the wretched tax collector? Or how about the president where half of the country literally hates your existence?

The only government employees that people actually seem to like are plump, jolly forest rangers.

it's developed culture. I have a few relatives that gone to public employees from being private employees for many years. The safety that they get becomes abused more and more until they become who they are. My dad is on youtube looking up health cures all day and how to live forever......... worst part is that he emails me about his findings....... Dad, I dont want to hear about your spirit cooking bullshit.

I work at this one place where they got popped for taking vet drugs not sure if it was for them or their pets good job.

I used to deal with the DMV on a professional level all the time as an insurance agent. They are the worst.

If they were actually productive and diligent, they wouldn’t be working for the government.

i've had employees that are so complacent with doing the bare minimum that trying to motivate them to do bigger, better things is like a slap in the face to them. motivating them to think outside of the box and to get up to date with technology is so difficult, especially to the babyboomers in the workforce. i'm willing to even send them to get trained and they still turn it down....

Have you read How to Win Friends and Influence People? There are some good strategies in there.

Why is a bullet better than a VA nurse?

A bullet can actually draw blood.
A bullet only kills once.
You can fire a bullet.

Back