Why are eye pokes more frequent now??

jickstick

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
It might just be me, but I seem to remember, pre ufc 100, getting through a whole event without an eye poke incident. Now it seems there is at least 5 incidents per event! Is this because fighters complain more? Or has technique changed over the years??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Windshield_Pitting_Epidemic

The "Seattle Windshield Pitting Epidemic" as it is called has become a textbook case of collective delusion (not "mass hysteria" as reported).[2] Although natural windshield pitting had been going on for some time, it was only when the media called public attention to it that people actually looked at their windshields and saw damage they had never noticed before.

Because more and more people are utilizing the open hand arm stretched out defense lately. It's almost in every fight really.

Jones leads by example (and has gotten away with it)

Does it happen more? Do we have any statistics?

We might think they happen more often when they are not because we're noticing it more. Alternatively, it may happen more because fighters notice it more, and more specifically notice that people aren't punished for it.

Because fighters are realizing that every ref will allow precisely one (1) free groin strike, eye gouge, and cage-grab

this is a sly jones hate thread, amahrite ts?

Jones leads by example (and has gotten away with it)

ryan-pointing-the-office.gif

Fighters just keep pawing at their opponents face lately, and since they don't lose points because of it they have no real reason to stop.

Fighters just keep pawing at their opponents face lately, and since they don't lose points because of it they have no real reason to stop.
Not when Big John is on the job

I noticed most fighters that used the eye poke got only a warning and went on to win the whole fight.

because fighters realize there is no punishment for it, nobody needs to worry about it because there is no penalty.

It's more known you can get away with fouls now.

If they would make an example out of Jones in his next fight, I think people would tone it down...Unfortunately, many will cheat if they can get away with it! In other sports it is normally the lesser athletes that do it to level the playing field, but when a champ does it, it is truly poor sportsmanship and inexcusable! A guy could lose his career with one of those:(

Evolution brah. Peoples fingers are becoming increasingly longer.

Because fighters are realizing that every ref will allow precisely one (1) free groin strike, eye gouge, and cage-grab

real tacticians of the game would capitalize on that and kick their opponents in the balls and Jones them in the eye as soon as the round begins.

Back