Why Are Cats Terrified of Cucumbers?

Kaybee

Arianator Belt
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
There must be some kind of science behind this?

giphy.webp

source.gif

giphy.webp

Cat-Cucumber-Gif-Gifs-Youtube-Video.gif

tenor.gif

They look like snakes.

I thought this was going to be a joke TS.

I can't imagine why a cat would be afraid of a cucumber. Maybe they know something we don't.

I thought this was going to be a joke TS.

I can't imagine why a cat would be afraid of a cucumber. Maybe they know something we don't.

The penalty for any small mammal getting bit by a snake, constrictor or venomous, is usually total. There's no time for small mammals to have a learning curve about snakes. That stuff is hardwired.

It's even hardwired in us, which is why humans develop snake-related phobias especially easily compared to fear of other things.

The penalty for any small mammal getting bit by a snake, constrictor or venomous, is usually total. There's no time for small mammals to have a learning curve about snakes. That stuff is hardwired.

It's even hardwired in us, which is why humans develop snake-related phobias especially easily compared to fear of other things.

I understand but cucumber don't really look like snakes IMO. I also thought cats hunted some snakes.

I understand but cucumber don't really look like snakes IMO. I also thought cats hunted some snakes.

At first glance, green, organic and cylindrical? Housecat or a rodent better react quickly to something that looks like that two inches away. If it were a real snake, the extra time taken to try to distinguish between snake and cucumber would mean end of story.

Anyway, yeah cats will do crazy shit. They'll take on a full grown alligator. But they'll do it face to face because they're cocky idiots. All of these cat reaction gifs are situations where, from the cat's perspective, it seems like a snake has silently slithered up to it to potentially attack an undefended part of its body.

Last edited:
Because little pussies are scared of the big D

I like how they just fly vertically upward when they realize the cucumber has the drop on them.

It's more likely because when they went to eat, there was no cucumber. Then when they turn around to leave suddenly there is this huge cucumber thing that's right up in their grill. You could like sneak up anything there that's big dark and low to the ground and they would freak out as you would too.

There must be some kind of science behind this?

giphy.webp

source.gif

giphy.webp

Cat-Cucumber-Gif-Gifs-Youtube-Video.gif

tenor.gif
Those people are assholes. Those cars are eating in a place they trust then they put a thing the cat thinks is a snake. Instinct takes over and the cat tries to get the fuck out.

Those people are assholes. Those cars are eating in a place they trust then they put a thing the cat thinks is a snake. Instinct takes over and the cat tries to get the fuck out.
Don't worry, the cats will eventually get revenge

Cat-vs-cucumber.gif

giphy.webp

Back