Why are boxing fans so dellusional about their past legends?

Look at the vid I just posted. You're focused on 70s Ali... look at 60s Ali. Who is faster than 60s Ali? Give me an example.

He's as fast as some elite MW now.

I don't even know what to tell you. That's completely dellusional.

what I see is just that he throws lot's of punches in a row where on my video they are a lot more cautious. They also showboat less and put less swagger on their movements. But their hands seem to go faster.

I just saw Ali vs Foreman today. Great fight, but any decent HW today would beat them. I read boxing forums and they think those guys were on another level compared to contemporary boxers (and maybe in terms of technique they were, and boxing overall was more exciting), but let's be honest, sports evolved ridiculously since that time. In Olympic sports were you can measure performance evolution over time, some world records from those days are now at the level of high school athletes. Also, I feel like guys back then had bad fight IQ and bad fightplans. They were making silly mistakes and getting gassed out more often than today.

Also size difference, PED's, having access to a few more decades of boxing knowledge, better nutricion, etc...

What do you think?

Nah

you lack analytical thinking skills. Every sport had a massive evolution during that time period. You have footage but you only know how fast and strong they are in relation to their peers.

So you question my analytical skills, then proceed to just assume Boxers must have physically evolved just because all other sports have, and proceed to deny we can compare speed, conditioning and power visually through video footage? lol. Apparently we can't determine whether Ken Norton was a superior athlete to Ruiz, because they were from different era's right despite one looking like they were carved from stone and the other a fat slob?

Just because athletes in other sports have evolved does not prove it must have happened in boxing, to just blindly assume it as a fact would be a logical fallacy.

Being skinny or fat has nothing to do with it. Being a pro athlete today and in the 70s is not even comparable. It's not just that Ruiz, Wilder or Fury would beat Ali. It's any decent amateur fighting in the Olympics too. That's the evolution the sports that are measurable had. Why would you belive boxing is so different? Because of some videos? If we didn't have times written down I bet some dork would also claim some guy from the 70s runned faster than Usain Bolt.

Sports evolve at different rates, and some are more limited to evolution because of the inherent nature of the sport, so there is a point of diminishing returns. If you watch tennis from the 50s, and today its obviously a different world, because of how evolved athletically it became, and also racquet technology. Boxing is very different as its just two men with fists, and by the 70s the sport had already flat lined in terms of evolution. Maybe todays fighters are taller and bigger in terms of frame, but that does not mean they are better athletes or more skilled. Just a quick look at the top Hw's of today should make that very clear.

all of them

hahah all modern Hw's are faster than Prime Ali? Surely you are trolling christ. A fat old Foreman was very successful in the 90s and won a title, in case you don't realize that totally destroys your whole argument, yet you are still going.

he is much faster than the guys he is fighting. Than everyone today? Both the video and logic tells me no way.

Dude where are all these fast Hw's that you speak of today? List them. Also compare the volume of prime Ali to todays plodders. You are embarrassing yourself.

Lets do a simple test. Who is a superior Athlete. Andy Ruiz or Ken Norton?

Last edited:

Jump in the other thread and tell us why we're all delusional please.

all of them
Spoken like someone who has no idea what or when Ali's prime was, and never saw any of his fights from them.

Confirmed by the fact that you think evaluating a fight with a 32 year old Ali who was completely inactive from ages 25 through 29 is somehow a basis for judging his prime.

Any other boxing forums you guys frequent now that this one has been ruined by the spill over from the Heavies?

but how do you guys explain that we increase physical performance on every single measurable aspect but guys on the 70s punched faster than today?
I don't think anyone is saying boxers back then punched faster or harder. It's just that any increases we see today would be on the margins and balanced out by a much deeper talent pool from decades past.

I don't think anyone is saying boxers back then punched faster or harder. It's just that any increases we see today would be on the margins and balanced out by a much deeper talent pool from decades past.

I was specifically bringing up Ali actually because he or someone else said Ali would get recked today. And, I said Ali is still one of the fastest if not the fastest HW of all time still.

I was specifically bringing up Ali actually because he or someone else said Ali would get recked today. And, I said Ali is still one of the fastest if not the fastest HW of all time still.
I mean, Ali isn't perfect and slightly overrated, but he's a legit threat in every era of boxing. It's not like his skills and attributes don't hold up on film. So I'm with you on Ali"s speed, it's up there for sure among heavyweights.

Sorry, kid but you're the one who's delusional. But that's OK. Every new, young fan goes through a period of time when they think they know a whole lot more than they actually do.

Just out of curiosity, how long have you been a boxing fan?

For every fan who's in doubt why professional boxers from the past century were superior to current generation (and who's too lazy to analyze things on their own), I recommend to read "The Arc of boxing: The rise and decline of the sweet science" by Mike Silver.

Olympic records, the most reliable way to measure it, disagree with you

Lot of changes outside the ring, not so many inside the ring.

The guy fighting today, the consensus top fighter of the past couple of decades, used techniques that were more popular in the 1950s than 2000s.

AdmirableCrazyCowrie-size_restricted.gif

moore_sneaky_uppercut.gif

lol at canelo thinking he could beat prime floyd now. What a douche

To get technical they are actually two different approaches. Dem michygen boys use the crab, while what moore uses is called the lock.
You are right in saying both are not widely used and have not been widely passed down.
The lock is actually on its way to extinction unfortunately

can you please link some videos demonstrating the lock? Either fight footage or someone breaking it down.

Back