Why are boxing fans so dellusional about their past legends?

but how do you guys explain that we increase physical performance on every single measurable aspect but guys on the 70s punched faster than today?

so today an high school kid can run 100m faster then the world record in the 70s. What is preventing some high school kid from punching faster than Ali?

if modern training, nutrition, etc worked for running speed and for every other sport, why wouldn't it work for punching speed? I am curious

Ali would be way undersized today.

He also would lose as soon as he turtled up in a corner. You can't hide in a corner without throwing shots now a days. They might give you an 8 count but eventually the fights getting waved off.

also wouldn't the sport of Sprinting lose talent to the NFL too? Wouldn't the sport of idk triple jump lose talent to the NBA? the records from the 70s were still crushed long ago...

I don’t think you can measure a fighter from the past against present champions. This is a millennial phenomenon that takes a snapshot in time and projects that one point of data to draw broad infinite conclusions. Like comparing the morals of a 1860’s confederate general to modern sensibilities. It is intellectually lazy and ultimately academic because those two fighters will never fight. Jack Johnson, Jack Dempsey, Joe Lewis, Rocky Marciano, Sonny Liston, Muhammad Ali, Joe Fraser, George Forman were the greatest fighters of their time. Each was a champion when only one linear champion was recognized. These great fighters were the product of their times. They are measured by their contemporaries not sone fighter who wasn’t born for another 25 years, or in Johnson’s case another century. You think you diminish their accomplishments by waving your magic time wand and declaring they’d never last? These fighters records were against other fighters of that era. They were great. They had power, movement, range, technique and most had iron chins. They fought in a time where cuts and broken hands did not end fights. Gloves were not thumbless and they were tough. It is fun and it challenges people to support their conclusions but is really pointless. The champions of today are also great. They have it all. It is unlikely that Tyson Fury would not be great in any other era. But boxing tends to honor its history and traditions much the way baseball does. It is not soccer and it is not MMA. The men who became great participating in this sport are not diminished by your hypothesis.

I am not playing down their achievments, I do agree they were great and that what matters is what they achieved during their era. I am critizing the irrealism of Boxing fans who claim they would beat today's boxers and saying that's not what logic tells us.

Make a thread about this... I'm curious to see how many disagree with your analysis.
Can you really look at both videos and tell me the first is not happening at a higher pace? Not to mention they look like they are not from the same weight classes.

so today an high school kid can run 100m faster then the world record in the 70s. What is preventing some high school kid from punching faster than Ali?

The video you posted was related to his jab which doesn't need to be thrown fast. Also, most of those fights were past his prime in the 70s, not 60s.

Here is an example of prime Ali:

He's faster than nearly everyone today.

Come on bro... you're telling me bums nowadays would beat this dude???

No way man. Ali would tool most champs today.

he is much faster than the guys he is fighting. Than everyone today? Both the video and logic tells me no way.

he is much faster than the guys he is fighting. Than everyone today? Both the video and logic tells me no way.

Look at the vid I just posted. You're focused on 70s Ali... look at 60s Ali. Who is faster than 60s Ali? Give me an example.

He's as fast as some elite MW now.

Back