Why all of the hate towards 10th Planet?

Eddie bashes on the Gi. My friend has been training with Eddie at 10th Planet HQ for awhile now and he's told me EB has bashed on the Gi several times in front of class...

There's many of his interviews that have him bashing the Gi as well.

that's his opinion. alot of 10p students train in the gi as well. including me.

The common misconception is all of his students are sheep and buy into some of his bullshit. But you have people who can make their own decisions and train gi like you do, but still go to his school AKA people that aren't total retard followers.

Please dump this thread we dont need more of these...

Yea, I hear there are a number of 10planet students that train in the Gi and EB doesn't care if you do it or not. Just pointing out to kid that he has bashed the Gi.

The common misconception is all of his students are sheep and buy into some of his bullshit. But you have people who can make their own decisions and train gi like you do, but still go to his school AKA people that aren't total retard followers.

word.

Please dump this thread we dont need more of these...

fuckin' aye.

Yea, I hear there are a number of 10planet students that train in the Gi and EB doesn't care if you do it or not. Just pointing out to kid that he has bashed the Gi.

yup. we are talking about grown men here. we all have a mind of our own and can think for ourselves.

-People don't like his pro drug stance

Doesn't have anything to do with BJJ

-People hate his shitty music

Again doesn't have anything to do with BJJ

-People hate the fact that he still milks his victory over Royler

Really? The only time he mentions his victory is when he's teaching a move that he used in that fight.

-People hate that he bashes gi grappling

Have never seen him bash it, you mind showing some evidence?

-People hate that he thinks he invented a "system" of grappling that is different then BJJ, even though BJJ encompasses all of the moves he uses.

Kind of agree with you on this.

-People hate how he claims his system is a revolution, and that professors don't teach it because they are scared their students will start beating them.

No he's saying that just like anything it else it takes time to learn, so if like a blackbelt starts to use the rubberguard, and his students pass it then he'll get pissed off because a blackbelt's not supposed to get his guard passed easily.

-People hate his marketing

Really don't know what to say to this

-Many of his follows are fanboi tools who think he is god

Agreed

-People hate how he makes up goofy names for moves

I like it because it helps me remember them better, then just say armbar from failed americana

-People hate how many moves in his system are attribute dependent (insane flexibility)

You'd be suprised, I can tell you haven't really looked into his system yet.

-People don't think his school is worthy of all the hype it gets. They don't have particularly good competition records

It's new, but I can see your point

-10th planet fans always point out how they have a few great grapplers (sotiropoulos,etc). All his top guys were studs with tons of experience before joining 10th planet.

Agreed.

-People hate how he affiliates with Ari Bolden, who is the BJJ laughing stock fraud of the internet.

I hated Ari bolden as well..

-People hate how he affiliated with another fraud, Brandon Quick, although he kicked him out when he found out.

Atleast he fixed it.
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLZ

I stopped reading after you said he never brings up his royler victory and doesn't bash the gi

He often comes off as arrogant in many interviews, when a lot of instructors I know think he's pretty much reinventing the wheel. My instructor just hates the rubber guard and refuses to teach it although he agrees with Eddie Bravo about the superiority of no-gi training. At all the tournaments I've ever been to, the 10th planet guys are always the cockiest guys. The have things like "lock-down" half-guard that when you know how are actually very easy to deal with.

I can make up my own mind about him though and while I think he's actually quite innovative, I like my BJJ pretty straightforward and fundamental. It's just a personal preference. All the crazy moves he likes may be sexy to observe, but most guys just can't pull them off against any sort of good competition. So I will never bash him because I think BJJ needs some alternatives to Gracie dogma, but his brand of BJJ isn't a great fit for me.

I don't hate Eddie or 10th planet

But he does come off kind of as a condescending douche. Like he's that kind of gay friend that a female friend introduces to you and he just gives off subtle vibes of ***gotry

I don't hate Eddie or 10th planet

But he does come off kind of as a condescending douche. Like he's that kind of gay friend that a female friend introduces to you and he just gives off subtle vibes of ***gotry

Lmao

oh yeah and his music is FUCKING AWFUL

and that new age psycho BS him and Rogan like is annoying too. I love pot and psychedelic drugs but his shit makes no sense.

It's just like anything else on Sherdog; the educated posters don't necessarily have a huge problem with 10'th P Jits, and if they do it's backed by legit reasons. The only people who excessively hate or nuthug Bravo are just rabble rousers, and ought not be taken seriously.

Personally, I've been going to a 10th Planet affiliate up in Spokane WA, and it's kind of a ragtag setup- run by a team of blue shirts, most w/ previous wrestling experience. They put an emphasis on basics, & conditioning. The most "radical" thing i've even learned from there is how to pull a 1/4 guard clinch, move into a HG lockdown, and then go for a sweep or claim guard.

The Lockdown is just a way to play half guard, much in the same way as Rubber guard is just another way to play guard. Especially when you're on your back, it behooves you to have severable viable tools & moves you know and are good at, and if playing rubber guard works for you, then cool. I personally like to work butterflies/ open guard, or a deep half guard/ lockdown game.

Umm...more often it is the 3 month practitioners that haven't even mastered shrimping who are trying to play rubber guard and calling it the 10th wonder of the world because they can own 2 months white belts with it.

honestly if a 3 month white belt is doing this correctly

1) correctly break posture
2) shrimp his hips out
3) right foot on hip
4)pull leg up

and from a "proper" mission control he is able to get a submission.

I don't think a 3 month white belt can master all of those concepts at all. I only say this because every time I see a white belt "do rubber guard", he is missing the foot on the hip.

The foot on the hip is everything to keeping someone broken down. without it they can literally just stack out of it effortlessly.

Last edited:
Cliff notes

-People don't like his pro drug stance

-People hate that he thinks he invented a "system" of grappling that is different then BJJ, even though BJJ encompasses all of the moves he uses.

-People hate how he claims his system is a revolution, and that professors don't teach it because they are scared their students will start beating them.

-People hate how many moves in his system are attribute dependent (insane flexibility)

-People don't think his school is worthy of all the hype it gets. They don't have particularly good competition records

-10th planet fans always point out how they have a few great grapplers (sotiropoulos,etc). All his top guys were studs with tons of experience before joining 10th planet.

-People hate how he affiliates with Ari Bolden, who is the BJJ laughing stock fraud of the internet.

-People hate how he affiliated with another fraud, Brandon Quick, although he kicked him out when he found out.

That should give you some ideas to get started.

That's all I needed. Just wondering. End of thread. I got my answer.

honestly if a 3 month white belt is doing this correctly

1) correctly break posture
2) shrimp his hips out
3) right foot on hip
4)pull leg up

and from a "proper" mission control he is able to get a submission.

I don't think a 3 month white belt can master all of those concepts at all. I only say this because every time I see a white belt "do rubber guard", he is missing the foot on the hip.

The foot on the hip is everything to keeping someone broken down. without it they can literally just stack out of it effortlessly.

My point is that they shouldn't be playing with it without a solid foundation. They don't have Eddie teaching them and helping them along the way. They use it as a crutch, because it can frustrate some people that don't understand the goals of rubber guard.

P.S. I can't wait for them to put their foot on my hip. I've been waiting for it and that's when I start my Tozi pass.

P.S. I can't wait for them to put their foot on my hip. I've been waiting for it and that's when I start my Tozi pass.

I'm having shit luck with this pass. I end up flattening myself and just feeling uncomfortable, giving up it, and posturing up again. ugh.

I'm having shit luck with this pass. I end up flattening myself and just feeling uncomfortable, giving up it, and posturing up again. ugh.

It has taken me about 18 months to really get comfortable with it. It's not my go to, but it works when I need it to.

People don't like his pro drug stance
prove?? i dont like it but many thinks its cool
agreed but it doesnt mean anything to bjj
he rarely does that. if you beat the yankees in baseball you would brag.
he does no such thing!!!
he invented his system. STOP HATING. some moves are from bjj but he invented a shitload
yeah its kinda weird
agreed
agreed
yeah kinda dumb at least his followers can remember it
true. but in his books he tells you that. and gives you flexiblty excersises to get there
true.
10th planet is great to complete ones game.
agreed
agreed
That should give you some ideas to get started

Really? That's a shame. It's a great pass.

Are your hips directly on top of his femur bone?
Do you have a deep under hook?
Do you have control of his arm, or does he have control of yours?
When your in position are you sliding perpendicular?
When you are making the slide is your head tucked low?

Your body should be in kesa gatame position, and than when you start your rotation your head and underhook should keep your opponent pinned so there is no way his legs can stay locked. After that, you can use your knee or hand to break the legs open if they havent broken yet, than you just curl your legs up and pass.

It's an awesome way to pass guard on guys who have clinching guards.

Back