Why all of the hate towards 10th Planet?

Red Harvest

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Maybe I just haven't been lurking on Sherdog long enough but in my short time here (about 3 weeks) I have seen a huge amount of threads trashing 10th Planet and it's teachings. Did I miss something? Did Eddie Bravo post here and fuck somebody's mother? Is this place jsut inhabited by BJJ purist snobs? Why all of the hate and discontent towards 10th Planet? Sorry if this has been asked before. Again, I haven't been around here long.

23m7tjd.jpg

Dear Lord.

I feel like an argument over what we should put in the Magna Carta would be more timely that this old song.

people on sherdog like to talk shit

brand new people to the art think eddie is destroyin the art they have loved for 3 months, eddie is a badass and so are many of his students, they only show their hate here anonymously instead of contacting eddie directly, it's what i call pussies, flame away assholes

I can't stand the dude, he's more of an obnoxious prick than I am (and that's say something).

It's because we need to separate legislative, executive, and judicial powers. In the grappling forum we only have the BJJ police.

people on sherdog like to talk shit

brand new people to the art think eddie is destroyin the art they have loved for 3 months, eddie is a badass and so are many of his students, they only show their hate here anonymously instead of contacting eddie directly, it's what i call pussies, flame away assholes

Umm...more often it is the 3 month practitioners that haven't even mastered shrimping who are trying to play rubber guard and calling it the 10th wonder of the world because they can own 2 months white belts with it.

Cliff notes

-People don't like his pro drug stance

-People hate his shitty music

-People hate the fact that he still milks his victory over Royler

-People hate that he bashes gi grappling

-People hate that he thinks he invented a "system" of grappling that is different then BJJ, even though BJJ encompasses all of the moves he uses.

-People hate how he claims his system is a revolution, and that professors don't teach it because they are scared their students will start beating them.

-People hate his marketing

-Many of his follows are fanboi tools who think he is god

-People hate how he makes up goofy names for moves

-People hate how many moves in his system are attribute dependent (insane flexibility)

-People don't think his school is worthy of all the hype it gets. They don't have particularly good competition records

-10th planet fans always point out how they have a few great grapplers (sotiropoulos,etc). All his top guys were studs with tons of experience before joining 10th planet.

-People hate how he affiliates with Ari Bolden, who is the BJJ laughing stock fraud of the internet.

-People hate how he affiliated with another fraud, Brandon Quick, although he kicked him out when he found out.

That should give you some ideas to get started.

25anurk.gif

Hades, lots of people contact Eddie directly. Or at least try to. See Draculino vs Eddie Bravo - CageWarriors Forum

As far as I know, Eddie hasn't competed in any major tournament since the '03 Abu Dhabi where he beat Royler. Sure plenty of people would love to get a crack at him, both old school and new school guys.

25anurk.gif

Hades, lots of people contact Eddie directly. Or at least try to. See Draculino vs Eddie Bravo - CageWarriors Forum

As far as I know, Eddie hasn't competed in any major tournament since the '03 Abu Dhabi where he beat Royler. Sure plenty of people would love to get a crack at him, both old school and new school guys.

All they have to do is show up at his school, he rolls with just about everyone.

Doesn't have anything to do with BJJ

Again doesn't have anything to do with BJJ

Really? The only time he mentions his victory is when he's teaching a move that he used in that fight.

Have never seen him bash it, you mind showing some evidence?

-People hate that he thinks he invented a "system" of grappling that is different then BJJ, even though BJJ encompasses all of the moves he uses.

Kind of agree with you on this.

-People hate how he claims his system is a revolution, and that professors don't teach it because they are scared their students will start beating them.

No he's saying that just like anything it else it takes time to learn, so if like a blackbelt starts to use the rubberguard, and his students pass it then he'll get pissed off because a blackbelt's not supposed to get his guard passed easily.

Really don't know what to say to this

Agreed

I like it because it helps me remember them better, then just say armbar from failed americana

-People hate how many moves in his system are attribute dependent (insane flexibility)

You'd be suprised, I can tell you haven't really looked into his system yet.

-People don't think his school is worthy of all the hype it gets. They don't have particularly good competition records

It's new, but I can see your point

-10th planet fans always point out how they have a few great grapplers (sotiropoulos,etc). All his top guys were studs with tons of experience before joining 10th planet.

Agreed.

-People hate how he affiliates with Ari Bolden, who is the BJJ laughing stock fraud of the internet.

I hated Ari bolden as well..

-People hate how he affiliated with another fraud, Brandon Quick, although he kicked him out when he found out.

Atleast he fixed it.

Umm...more often it is the 3 month practitioners that haven't even mastered shrimping who are trying to play rubber guard and calling it the 10th wonder of the world because they can own 2 months white belts with it.

I have yet to bump into this type of individual in practice. Not in 10p sf at least. I can't speak for all of the affiliates, but that's my 2cents.

I have yet to bump into this type of individual in practice. Not in 10p sf at least. I can't speak for all of the affiliates, but that's my 2cents.

These wouldn't be people in a 10th planet school. I think that they are actually well trained in fundamentals.

It's those people that are in non-affiliated schools where their newer white belts, excited about BJJ, look into everything they can....and then they find what they think to be a magic bullet against guard passing.

Forget spending years developing a solid guard...all you need is some flexibility (I know this is not what Eddie preaches).

So, once again....this is the same thing as with Christianity....people screwing up the message and making a mess of things.

prove?? i dont like it but many thinks its cool
agreed but it doesnt mean anything to bjj
he rarely does that. if you beat the yankees in baseball you would brag.
he does no such thing!!!
he invented his system. STOP HATING. some moves are from bjj but he invented a shitload
yeah its kinda weird
agreed
agreed
yeah kinda dumb at least his followers can remember it
true. but in his books he tells you that. and gives you flexiblty excersises to get there
true.
10th planet is great to complete ones game.
agreed
agreed
That should give you some ideas to get started

Cliff notes

That should give you some ideas to get started.

This pretty much sums it up.

i don't hate 10th planet or eddie bravo.

but i do think he's goofy, i think the names he gives to his moves are fucking retarded and i think his system is based on tricks - some people like it, some don't. i prefer my jiujitsu pure and technical, not whacky.

but i don't fool myself to think i'm a better grappler than he is. he'd beat the living shit out of me on the mat, no doubt about it. but i don't necessarily have to like his style though, right?

I think if people gave his techniques a shot without the delusion that they're somehow going to become badasses overnight just because they can put their foot behind their head they might end up better grapplers because of it

(I don't train yet so don't sell the farm based on my two cents)

I feel like it couldn't hurt to have something most people aren't exposed to

So, once again....this is the same thing as with Christianity....people screwing up the message and making a mess of things.

perfect analogy, lol.

not sure if you've heard this one, but I posted once on my fb "going to church doesn't make you a Christian anymore than standing in a garage makes you a car"

he does no such thing!!!

Eddie bashes on the Gi. My friend has been training with Eddie at 10th Planet HQ for awhile now and he's told me EB has bashed on the Gi several times in front of class...

Back