Why A Canadian WW Champ in WSOF

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by NHB7, Aug 3, 2015.

1. NHB7

NHB7 Steel Belt

I remember watching Ryan Ford win the Canadian Welterweight Championship for WSOF and thinking "Hmmm...okay." But they haven't awarded Canadian championships to anyone else. Their home base is Las Vegas. So why just randomly did they decide they needed a Canadian Welterweight Champion and are they planning on having other Canadian Champions?

2. ggtopdog

ggtopdog Purple Belt

Forgot about this....

3. milliniar

milliniar Who needs a belt?

The plan was to have multiple minor country/Continental wsof leagues. When they bought amma a small Canadian org they branded it wsof Canada.
    Not sure if they will do other wsof leagues.

4. BeardotheWeirdo

BeardotheWeirdo Silver Belt

Elite XC tried that, it almost killed them. They were bleeding money until they got Kimbo and the CBS deal.

If WSOF doesn't add other leagues then it's basically just a marketing gimmick to help sell Ryan Ford fights in Alberta. But if it makes them more money and causes them to put on more shows then I can't blame them for doing so.

Weren't they planning a show in Japan that never ended up happening?

5. NHB7

NHB7 Steel Belt

I mean I kind of like the idea of minor league champions. I've seen a few other orgs try it and it never really catches on, but the concept is kind of fun. It's like way back in the day when you had Catch Wrestling at Carnivals. "Our local town hero can beat your local town hero!" And fans loved it.

6. KeeSmyth

KeeSmyth Brown Belt

they just want to put a belt on Ford to promote him as a champ and sell tickets