Why 49-46 is NOT a crazy score

Like I said, I don't score 10-10 rounds. That's just my preference. But given that we're not the real judges to begin with, I think using as much latitude as one wishes to score a fight for purposes of discussion so long as it's still confined within the rules is perfectly acceptable. It never occurred to me that scoring a fight from home is to first pretend that Keith Kizer is your boss or some shit.
well this is a thread about criticizing a score one judge gave, with others proffering replacement scores because that score is so horrendous apparently, I think you're in the wrong thread then pal.

Agreed. Robbery is what happened to Roy Jones Jr at the Olympics. People need to stop using this for every close fight that doesn't go the way they want.

This was a close fight with a small edge to one fighter.

That said, I don't see how you could have seen 3 for Jones.
exactly, that's the fight I always reference as well. That fight was a fucking robbery.

all this robbery talk does is detract from the fighters' performances.

you-won-that-shit-cray.jpg

Kanye is such a pos

well this is a thread about criticizing a score one judge gave, with others proffering replacement scores because that score is so horrendous apparently, I think you're in the wrong thread then pal.

If someone scores a round 10-10, I interpret that to mean that they could also have scored it 10-9 either way. It doesn't really confuse the issue.

10 point must system doesn't really work in mma as well as it does in boxing because there are far less rounds and the rounds themselves are longer, so you'll have uneven scoring because you could have 2 strong clean rounds for one guy, 2 very close rounds for the other guy and have an even fight going into the 5th despite a guy controlling 70% of the fight.

That said, Pride scoring wouldn't have made it any easier, if anything it would have been more controversial.

This fight was tough to judge no matter what system it was under. Great post.

If someone scores a round 10-10, I interpret that to mean that they could also have scored it 10-9 either way. It doesn't really confuse the issue.
but that's not what it means. 10-10 is even, either way is either way. I myself have stated 2 & 3 could have gone either way, but I didn't put a 10-10 because it means something else entirely. 10-10 does not mean close.

but that's not what it means. 10-10 is even, either way is either way. I myself have stated 2 & 3 could have gone either way, but I didn't put a 10-10 because it means something else entirely. 10-10 does not mean close.

Unless 2 people dance around the center logo for 5 minutes and never make contact, or punch each other the exact same number of times with the same exact amount of force each time, then you could conceivably argue that a round should be scored 10-9 rather than 10-10. I understand that. However, since some people do score 10-10 rounds, and because they're allowed to, I just take that as a round that could have gone either way in their view. You have to work with what you've got. Telling people not to score 10-10 rounds when not even the rules say they can't, is probably fruitless.

Unless 2 people dance around the center logo for 5 minutes and never make contact, or punch each other the exact same number of times with the same exact same amount of force each time, then you could conceivably argue that a round should be scored 10-9 rather than 10-10. I understand that. However, since some people do score 10-10 rounds, and because they're allowed to, I just take that as a round that could have gone either way in their view. You have to work with what you've got. Telling people not to score 10-10 rounds when not even the rules say they can't, is probably fruitless.

welcome to the 10 point must system and the commissions in all their glory

it's why judging and the scores are the way they are. shit rules + shit commission = shit judging = shit scores

you wanna solve the problem, gotta change the rules, policy and the decision makers administering them

under the current rubric I'd have given a 49-46 Jones but also could have given Gus the nod; it's a flawed system. But, putting up a bunch of 10-10s will just confuse people into believing the system is not flawed. It needs to change.

Rd 1 was very close. Rounds 2 and 3 were reasonably close but I thought fairly clear Jones/Gus rounds respectively. 4 and 5 clear Jones.

49-46 is definitely a reasonable scorecard.

It's plausible as besides Round 1 you can make the argument for scoring all the other rounds for Jones just like a 48-47 score in favor of Gus would have been plausible as besides Rounds 4 and 5 you can arguably score all the other rounds for Gus. It's just most people wither A though Gus got the better of very close rounds 2 and 3 or had it as a tie that was to close to call. Everyone except the judges who used if he's the champ you have to give him a little bit of benefit of the doubt. I can understand it and it wasn't insane but I disagree with it.

Back