Whose Game Are You Studying Right Now?

fightingrabbit

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
From mixed martial artists to boxers to kickfighters. Which fighter is currently being used as your case study?

For me, i've been looking for footage of a southpaw boxer thats down to bully and brawl. I found clips of Vassiliy Jirov aka the Tiger.

What i learned from him? The liver punches he seems to like to throw. I even landed a clean one today during sparring! Do i owe it to Jirov? Maybe.

Here he gives Kenny Cravens liver a good walloping.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nJru84pNk60

lol dunno how to embed :p

(thread idea courtesy of w0g)

Micky Ward's liver punch > Jirov's.

Zab Judah said he still has nightmares and wakes up flinching about Ward's punch.

Micky Ward's liver punch > Jirov's.

Zab Judah said he still has nightmares and wakes up flinching about Ward's punch.

No shit! I remember that...... Ouch!

As for whos game I study....... Just my own! Anytime I have ever tried to emulate another fighter it works against me. Best practice: master the fundamentals then adapt them to your own personal style......... If there is a hole, you will find it when someone exposes it for you! Then right back to the fundamentals and re-adapt.

As for whos game I study....... Just my own! Anytime I have ever tried to emulate another fighter it works against me. Best practice: master the fundamentals then adapt them to your own personal style......... If there is a hole, you will find it when someone exposes it for you! Then right back to the fundamentals and re-adapt

One doesn't study others to mimick their styles, only to see how others push themselves through their imperfections. Plus, getting small tidbits is fine. Like say, the jab of Ike Quartey. As MMA Fighters come to learn the importance and applicability of the jab, there's no better way to see it in action than "Bazooka" himself.

I'm desparately trying to figure out how to put Paulie Malignaggi's slick moves into MT but I don't think it's possible. LOL

I'm trying to be a orthodox version of yod with a ODLH left hook.

It's hard for me to try to study one's style and copy it but if I dont do it my training will be boring as hell.

I actually do the opposite.

I like to watch a guy like Edison Miranda because he's not even close to the best technical fighter in the game. He's green so he will make mistakes but everyone does.

For example...he used to drop his right hand everytime he throws a jab. He's improving every fight with this and watching him get better does two things...1. it makes me pay attention to my hand positioning when punching. 2. it shows me with a little work on something it can be fixed.

And if one more person says a jab doesn't work in MMA...have them watch Diaz-Lawler please. I mean c-mon...Diaz is a pitty patter and his jab knocked Lawler stiff. And Diaz wasnt even moving forward when he threw the jab for fucks sake.

One doesn't study others to mimick their styles, only to see how others push themselves through their imperfections. Plus, getting small tidbits is fine. Like say, the jab of Ike Quartey. As MMA Fighters come to learn the importance and applicability of the jab, there's no better way to see it in action than "Bazooka" himself.

true mimicking and studying is diff, mimick try to be them and do what they do...study is when u look at what they do and try to take something away from it that can enhance or improve yyout game tech mentally strategically or physically

bhops-liddel (dnt laugh)-emmanuel augustus- i watch those guys fights over and over, anytime; i just like how they ply their trade.

I'm desparately trying to figure out how to put Paulie Malignaggi's slick moves into MT but I don't think it's possible. LOL

It's VERY possible. But you can't just look at Malignaggi. You also have to look at Benny Urquidez. One of the better Boxing/Kickboxing hybrids, and watch what happened when he fought Muay Thai stylists. Benny didn't like leg-kicks at all. But his fleet footwork made him difficult to pin down with them, providing an early antithesis that all you have to do to a non-MT stylist is leg-kick him.

You combine that sort of footwork, with lighting fast punches (although for sake of your Health I hope you hit harder and have stronger hands than Paulie), and given you have a natural gift of speed, it CAN be done.

I'm all about Quarteys stutter step. I've been working on shorting my left, and throw it the same way as Jerry Quarry.

Agreed, Ike has a nasty jab. I actually really like Tarver's cross (old shcool Tarver). However, i find often that even a moderately well trained mma guy will try to mimick another fighter vs. doing as you mention, learning from them. I.E: I cant even begin to tell you how many guys come into the gym (newbies) and the first time they spar try to hold their hands out wide, face first , like Chuck Liddell. When in practicality what should be learned from Liddell is how to create angles with good movement, how he gets so much power from his base and good hip rotation, how he anticipates a takedown and counters, how punching accuracy leads to KO's. Veteran fighters know how to analyze another fighters strength and adapt it to their style. The newbie move I see now in the gym, flying knees, spinning side kicks..... Ala Anderson Silva.

Yes, I definetely agree the jab is underutilized in MMA!

Boy, I just watched some of his fights... I just can't believe I hadn't heard of him, it makes me feel ignorant... Any more? :icon_chee

Alot of people have not heard of him....... dude is bad ass!

Some more:

Diesel Noi - hard to find many fight clips, he was pre 1980. ruthless knees!
Sakmongkol - watch his fight against Raymond Dekker (youtube I think)
Changpuerk Kiatsongrit
Kaoklai Kaenorsing- Bad Ass!

true mimicking and studying is diff, mimick try to be them and do what they do...study is when u look at what they do and try to take something away from it that can enhance or improve yyout game tech mentally strategically or physically

bhops-liddel (dnt laugh)-emmanuel augustus- i watch those guys fights over and over, anytime; i just like how they ply their trade.

Exactly, i didnt mean "What fighters style are you trying to emulate" I meant what I (w0g) meant. Whose fighters game are you studying. His game could be anything from the way he controls the ring, jabs, feints, attacks, defends, counters, What he does to frustrates his opponent, how he reacts when his opponent is rocked how he reacts when he himself is in trouble.

Sometimes you watch a fighter and you learn something unintentionally. its great.

Alot of people have not heard of him....... dude is bad ass!

Some more:

Diesel Noi - hard to find many fight clips, he was pre 1980. ruthless knees!
Sakmongkol - watch his fight against Raymond Dekker (youtube I think)
Changpuerk Kiatsongrit
Kaoklai Kaenorsing- Bad Ass!

Thanks, will look into them!

Back