Whose chin has the best chance of lasting?

TrueGrit

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In their last few fights, both Roy Nelson and Shogun Rua have withstood some heavy punishment. Both have shown to have granite chins and a will to keep fighting on.

Obviously Roy has withstood some pretty harsh beatings from the hands of the champ JDS, and top contenders Frank Mir and Fabricio Werdum. Roy may also has some possible future opponents whom also pack some heavy leather in the form of Shane Carwin, Mark Hunt, Antonia Silva, and possibly Overeem.

roy-nelson-junior-dos-santos.png

MIR_0086-345x229.jpg

mma_e_nelson_werdum_b1_576.jpg

On the other hand you have Shogun Rua, who has shown unquestionable heart in the cage, but unfortunately also seems to have his best days behind him. In his last few fights he's took some heavy shots from the likes of JBJ, Brandon Vera, Alexander Gustafsson, and most notably, Dan Henderson. He also has some possible future opponents who've shown to have knockout capability in the form of Glover Teixeira, Thiago Silva, Rasdhad Evans, plus a couple rematches with Rampage Jackson and Lyoto Machida.

Jones-Shogun-UFC128-3.jpg

113danhendersonvsshogunrua.jpg

AlexGustsas-425x288.jpg

So my question is, do you think either of these two run the chance of losing their capability to take heavy shots, and if so, who? Or do you think both will be able to maintain their granite chins?

If one of them gets put out it'll probably be Roy, heavys hit harder

I think both will be fine. Might not be the best for their brains though but their chins will stay in tact

Everyone always saying Roy. Didn't Arlovski KO him? I know he can take a beating but if he's been ko'ed then he's off the list.

Everyone always saying Roy. Didn't Arlovski KO him? I know he can take a beating but if he's been ko'ed then he's off the list.

Sure, he may have been KO'd but I really think that Shogun will be put away before it happens to Roy again.

Sure, he may have been KO'd but I really think that Shogun will be put away before it happens to Roy again.

Maybe. Roy can take a beating but people always put him way up there on list's of the best chins. Regardless of how gassed he was he has been knocked out. People exclude Hendo from the list because he's been dropped. that's BS, because he still hasn't been ko'd or even tko'd.

i love shogun rua. but i think chances are he will be KO'ed before Big Country. i could be completely wrong, but big country took hell from JDS and Werdum and withstood it all. Shogun on the other hand it tough of nails but he eats way to many shots i could see shogun being ko'ed before roy nelson imo.

If one of them gets put out it'll probably be Roy, heavys hit harder

True, but on the other hand I've seen Roy take some huge licks and be seemingly unfazed. In Shogun's case the same can be said, but I've also seen him staggered a bit. Whether that's to do more with overall exhaustion rather than his actual ability to take a shot is up for debate.

There's only one time I can really remember Roy being staggered recently, and that was against JDS.

Round1JDSDropsNelson.gif

Brian Stann

BrianStann_Headshot152.png

That chin is Bruce Campbell worthy!

chins_couldkill.jpg

Roy actually protested that stoppage.

The GIF makes it look like he was out and I don't think it was a bad stoppage necessarily because the way he fell he looked out, but if you watch this vid, particularly the 2nd time they show the KO he reacts immediately when he sees the ref standing there and doesn't seem to be too dazed.

That said, he also didn't roll over blocking his face and Arlovski probably would have been flying towards him with a Hendo hammerfist if the ref didn't step in.

The punch was brutal though and the fact that he was conscious just reinforces how great his chin is.

Maybe. Roy can take a beating but people always put him way up there on list's of the best chins. Regardless of how gassed he was he has been knocked out. People exclude Hendo from the list because he's been dropped. that's BS, because he still hasn't been ko'd or even tko'd.

I wasn't trying to exclude Hendo. In fact when he was set to fight Shogun I made a similar thread regarding their fight. The only reason I chose Roy was to change things up a bit on here, and the fact that both fighters have underwent some fairly heavy punishment in their most recent fights. If I was doing a P4P chin, the debate would be endless with the likes of BJ, A. Silva, and Diaz all included.

Shogun's has already withstood the test of time, its not going anywhere.

Diaz has been KO'd but he'd be on any granite chin list, same with Hunt, and theres a video of Shogun getting ko'd in a house fight. No matter how amazing you're chin is you can always be ko'd.

There is a good chance they will always keep their granite chins, whilst they are still fighting anyway (maybe not as old men!)

Marvin Hagler, George Chuvalo, George Foreman etc, none of them suddenly lost their chins and they all took huge punches through out their careers.

I LOL'd when I saw "Took the best shots from Brandon Vera".

Back