Whose a tougher fight for Khabib: GSP or Gaethje?

The correct answer is GSP. Khabib will take Gaethje down and have his way with him just like he did with Conor. GSP on the other hand might actually be a striking affair similar to Colby/Usman. He may well beat an older GSP but he would be a much tougher opponent.

He's also kept training and stayed in great shape. So, he maybe older but he's probably more skilled and hasn't gone through recent wars like Khabib has.
Wars? What wars has Khabib been in?

It's impossible to know how good GSP is rn, because we haven't seen him compete in so long

If he is still GSP he would be Khabib's toughest matchup possible
Why wouldn't he still be GSP? No damage in 8 years except 1 fight with Bisping and he's still been training and staying in shape this whole time. The difference between GSP and Gaethje is that GSP can actually beat Khabib and possibly soundly, like 50-45.

He's also kept training and stayed in great shape. So, he maybe older but he's probably more skilled and hasn't gone through recent wars like Khabib has.

Staying in shape and being a practitioner of martial arts is not the same, he hasn't trained like an elite athlete and world champion fighter for the better part of 7 years now and he's even said that, while Khabib has.

He's 40, doing gymnastics at the park, lifting some weights, rolling at Tristar, eating properly, going for runs and still practicing some amount of martial arts regularly will keep you in great shape, it doesn't mean at 40 he's anywhere near where he'd need to be preparation wise for a cat like Khabib.

I think its unrealistic, especially at 155. If the betting lines were anywhere near even Id bet the farm on Khabib. GSP at 31 at 170 vs current Khabib? I think GSP outclasses Khabib in that scenario. 9 years is a lot, if Khabib wants legend status have him face the 170lb champion and go out undefeated if he wins.

Staying in shape and being a practitioner of martial arts is not the same, he hasn't trained like an elite athlete and world champion fighter for the better part of 7 years now and he's even said that, while Khabib has.

He's 40, doing gymnastics at the park, lifting some weights, rolling at Tristar, eating properly, going for runs and still practicing some amount of martial arts regularly will keep you in great shape, it doesn't mean at 40 he's anywhere near where he'd need to be preparation wise for a cat like Khabib.

I think its unrealistic, especially at 155. If the betting lines were anywhere near even Id bet the farm on Khabib. GSP at 31 at 170 vs current Khabib? I think GSP outclasses Khabib in that scenario. 9 years is a lot, if Khabib wants legend status have him face the 170lb champion and go out undefeated if he wins.
GSP would have a camp if he fought Khabib. If he steps in the cage with Khabib at 155 it's because he thinks he can win. Probably to GSP's advantage he hasn't been taking any damage the past few years.

GSP would have a camp if he fought Khabib. If he steps in the cage with Khabib at 155 it's because he thinks he can win. Probably to GSP's advantage he hasn't been taking any damage the past few years.

No. A camp isnt magical Christmas land. Hes 40, hes been retired for the better part of 7 years, fighting in a division hes never competed in? Khabib isn't Mike Perry, he's an elite athlete and one of the greatesr talents skillwise we've ever seen in MMA, 10 weeks of a training camp doesnt bring GSP back to or anywhere near his prime. Even vs Bisping he began to visibly gas early on and was looking in a lot of trouble until he caught him with that left hook and he ran away from the division because he knew Whittaker, Romero, Jacare etc at the time..He had no business being in there with those killers at that point in his career.

No. A camp isnt magical Christmas land. Hes 40, hes been retired for the better part of 7 years, fighting in a division hes never competed in? Khabib isn't Mike Perry, he's an elite athlete and one of the greatesr talents skillwise we've ever seen in MMA, 10 weeks of a training camp doesnt bring GSP back to or anywhere near his prime. Even vs Bisping he began to visibly gas early on and was looking in a lot of trouble until he caught him with that left hook and he ran away from the division because he knew Whittaker, Romero, Jacare etc at the time..He had no business being in there with those killers at that point in his career.
There are lots of 40 year old fighters in the UFC having success. You talk like his age is an automatic death sentence. One of the greatest fighters of all time hasn't simply forgot how to fight in the time he's been away. All he needs is a camp to get his timing back and he's game. I also think you underestimate the personality of GSP, he's a notorious hard worker and obsessive with his training. Like I said, if he takes the fight it's because he thinks he can win.

There are lots of 40 year old fighters in the UFC having success. You talk like his age is an automatic death sentence. One of the greatest fighters of all time hasn't simply forgot how to fight in the time he's been away. All he needs is a camp to get his timing back and he's game. I also think you underestimate the personality of GSP, he's a notorious hard worker and obsessive with his training. Like I said, if he takes the fight it's because he thinks he can win.

It's because of 10+ Million dollars.

GSP is not making 155 at any age let alone 40..

He would have a fight camp.

He came back against Bisping after a years layoff with the same comments and looked very good.

He's also fighting down a weight, not up against Bisping......and I think it would be a catchweight anyway.

It's impossible to know how good GSP is rn, because we haven't seen him compete in so long

If he is still GSP he would be Khabib's toughest matchup possible
This. If they fought at 170 and 2012 GSP showed up he would bust Khabib’s face. It’s a big question mark today though. Not only has GSP only fought once 3 years ago, but he hasn’t even been training seriously. He’s also about to hit 40. I wouldn’t bet on him today

While Justin has more KO power and decent wrestling GSP has arguably the best wrestling in MMA. Even with knee surgeries (2?) and being nearly 40 or over 40 at the time of the fight GSP is overall far more well-rounded than Gaethje.

I think if Gaethje wins it will be KO/TKO after a knockdown. I think Gaethje either finishes Khabib or gets finished. I don't see it going to a decision. I actually think it will be standing long enough for Justin to win.

When it comes to GSP I see him playing it safe as per his usual and win via the UD not a finish. I see GSP using his superb jab to jab Khabib to death and if GSP gets the opportunity to go for the TD, some GnP, Khabib gets back up, rinse and repeat until GSP has won the UD. I don't see Khabib getting past GSP's jab and even if he got GSP down I don't see him keeping him there. Khabib slowly suffocates his opponents and wears them down, he's not a violent GnP'r like Lesnar or Romero who can end it in a second with a submission or GnP. I see GSP easily defeating Khabib. Khabib's well-rounded but everything Khabib does GSP does better and GSP also has a better gas tank which isn't great for Khabib who's gotten tired in the past. Especially if GSP is pumping jabs in his face all night.

And the biggest reason I think GSP is a tougher opponent for Khabib is because GSP plays it safe while Gaethje would go for the kill and leave himself open. Justin wants a finish while GSP is content to play it safe and win via rounds and the UD.

gsp 10 years ago.

Gaethje

Younger, stronger, hits harder, better chin.

GSP's main attribute is his high skill level, and Khabib is one of the few who can hang with him.

GSP is not making 155 at any age let alone 40..

He'd make the weight.. But what impact would it make? I have no doubt if GSP is serious about this fight, he will start training in like Sept eyeing a April meeting. Test weight cuts and all.. Training partners for Khabib, constant film sessions. Like he says "Obsessed"..

Back