1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Who's Your Current Pound-for-Pound Boxer?

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Substance Abuse, Nov 20, 2021.

?

Who's Your P4P King?

1. Terence Crawford

10.1%
  2. Canelo Alvarez

68.7%
  3. Naoya Inoue

3.0%
  4. Josh Taylor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Oleksander Usyk

11.1%
  6. Tyson Fury

2.0%
  7. Teofimo Lopez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Juan Estrada

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Errol Spence

2.0%
  10. Other

3.0%
  1. LangfordBarrow StickAndMove Platinum Member

Gave you the like but even though he's slick Fury will suffer in a PFP setting. If you had Canelo remote controlling Wilder the results would probably have been much different.

2. LangfordBarrow StickAndMove Platinum Member

Do you think Canelo vs Makabu is more impressive than Usyk vs AJ?

Jonny Ninja likes this.
  3. LangfordBarrow StickAndMove Platinum Member

His problem might be moving up too much in weight. That adds to your legacy but it doesn't do as much for your PFP status.

4. ironfist05 Silver Belt

I'll say my top eleven is something like
    1. Canelo (obvious #1)
    2. Usyk (obvious #2 with the AJ win now)
    3. Estrada (always slept on, and thought the Gonalez rematch was close enough that I can't call it a robbery, and so I keep Estrada where he is just on who he's faced and beaten)
    4. Taylor (on a helluva run right now, can do a bit of everything in the ring)
    5. Spence (hard to rank, but the top 147er for me with a very good resume; the motorcycle injury and inactivity hurt him a bit but the fight with Garcia seems to show he's still fighting at the top level)
    6. Crawford (lots of good b-tier wins across multiple weight classes with wins over Indongo, Horn, Postol and Porter give him enough sway to make moves upwards)
    7. Inoue (would be above Spence, Taylor and Crawford if he fought better competition since the Donaire fight, but other than Moloney (a good fighter, but nothing special) guys like Dasmarinas and Dipaen don't job the imagination)
    8. Fury (rematch with Wilder saw some holes poked at but also saw a pretty dominant win)
    9. Lopez (The loma fight was great, now he needs to fight)
    10. Ioka (absolutely craftsmanlike fighter who is constantly beating top 10 fighters from 105 to 115 and deserves to be recognized for it)
    11. Jermell (would probably be top 10 if not for a questionable decision over Castano)

probably a shitty list I'll edit and rethink later, but these are my current impressions; 4-7 are all basically interchangeable for me and I'd change those rnakings just based on how I'm feeling that day

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  5. LangfordBarrow StickAndMove Platinum Member

I'm not that down on Canelo but Usyk is fighting guys a weight class bigger than he is.

BoxingMMA likes this.
  6. Stormtrooper85 Red Belt

To a certain extent, yes. However, the quality of your opponents always have to be taken into consideration and Ward made this comment after Bud fought another disappointing opponent that nobody asked for.

LangfordBarrow likes this.
  7. KAZSoliloquy Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

canelo has done far more than just beat the unbeatable boogeyman of his division (spence vs golovkin). he did that, then unified the next division up, won a belt two divisions up (against the former boogeyman of THAT division), and is now testing the waters three divisions up. canelo is miles ahead of crawford

8. BoxingMMA Brown Belt

I agree pretty much, while I would have usyk at 1st, the negatives for him are just that, he doesn't have many fights yet, while impressive at the same time because he achieved so much with those fights. But even when you add the amateur into the mix, he is still very impressive.

I would have Inoue second though, because the guy, as you say, destroys his opposition, even if they are decent. Nonito may have hurt him and gave him a tough fight but there's a big asterisk there, nobody fights Nonito trying to knock him out, if you want to beat him you need to fight smart or hope you get a lesser version of him but trying to flat out knock him out usually means you end up sleeping yourself. Inoue fought Donaire using the riskiest possible style for that fight and still prevailed.

If Taylor went on to fight and beat Crawford (hard...) I would probably have to think about putting him at first as far as crazy achievements go because that would be fucking crazy.

9. BoxingMMA Brown Belt

Right, Usyk went on to fight the top dog (well, the lesser top dog) of the heavyweight division and beat him. That bullshit Canelo is doing skipping Bivol or Beterbiev to fight some unknown belt holder in cruiser is fun and a nice freakshow fight but he won't lose, he just wants the belt.

10. djacobox372 Steel Belt

pretty amazing that the last nearly-unanimous p4p best is 1-0 over the current nearly-unanimous p4p best.

Has that ever been the case before?

11. LangfordBarrow StickAndMove Platinum Member

Maybe Jones and Toney?

12. is a apple

He was on my list about a year ago when he didn't lose against Estrada.
    Tank Davis is in that list somewhere though. Possibly around Inoue's level or higher?

13. Minowafanatic Red Belt

I think anyone who doesn't say Canelo is just a hater at this point

14. BonesWinckleJones Brown Belt

skill wise crawford and not even close

15. Ruv Black Belt

1. Terence Crawford
    2. Usyk
    3. Canelo

16. Cariñito Broner Brodie/Canelo Cartel/Errol Express/ Double Yellow Card

No you havent.

17. Goober stoober Orange Belt

interesting perspective. i agree with the take. wilder himself almost had fury twice but that's the kind of power that guys at lower weights cant possess.

LangfordBarrow likes this.