1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Who's Your Current Pound-for-Pound Boxer?

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Substance Abuse, Nov 20, 2021.

?

Who's Your P4P King?

1. Terence Crawford

10.1%
  2. Canelo Alvarez

68.7%
  3. Naoya Inoue

3.0%
  4. Josh Taylor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Oleksander Usyk

11.1%
  6. Tyson Fury

2.0%
  7. Teofimo Lopez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Juan Estrada

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Errol Spence

2.0%
  10. Other

3.0%
  1. MXZT Silver Belt Platinum Member

Obviously Canelo, but Lomachenko will always be my guy. Can't wait for his next fight and hopefully he wins and gets a rematch with Lopez.

LangfordBarrow likes this.
  2. ExitLUPin K

Except I do specially historically. P4P is more skewed towards recent achievements. What he did 3-5 years ago which was impressive doesn't hold as much weight. Good luck convincing anyone Dasmarinas or Dipaen are great opponents.

3. randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

i voted canelo, but that may be recency bias.

usyk taking the belts at HW after unifying CW, taylor unifying 140 and taking everyone's 0, inoue blasting world class opposition into the shadow realm... it's tough to choose.

4. Kung Fu Kowboy Jesus say there's a heaven for a real one Staff Member Senior Moderator

Canelo, and not even close...

5. GolovKing Brown Belt

Canelo is #1

Crawford, Usyk and Inoue are 2-4. Crawford didn't do anything last night to make feel different about him. I expected him to beat porter but he would have had to have completely dominated and stopped Porter early to even make me reconsider him over canelo

6. BoxingMMA Brown Belt

Here’s a question. Who out of that list has beaten the best opposition while at the same time never having a bullshit gift decision like canelo has had at least 3 times? its a difficult balance becase you have guys like Crawford who up until yesterday had been fighting way below his skill level, so as impressive as his dominance was, the opposition wasn’t.

Then you have Canelo, who has a who’s who in his list but ive seen the fucker lose at least 3 times, maybe 4 if you count the Lara fight. You can even add Floyd to the list, I saw him lose vs Castillo and draw Oscar. Even if you think Canelo won all those fights, they were still far from dominant and the majority of experts and pros thought he lost, most online polls since then still have him as losing at least one of the GGG fights.

Honestly the only one I can think of that has a good combination of credible opposition and absolute dominance is Usyk. The guy as far as I know hasn’t had one bullshit decision plus he had credible opposition while uniting the belts in cruiser then went on to beat Joshua in a masterclass.

Try as I might (and believe me, I try, with all fighters) to look and draw out their flaws (it needs to be done, to counter the serious ball sucking that goes on in this forum) I cant seem to find anything about Usyk. Even with Inoue who is as close to perfect as you can, his opposition hasn’t been that impressive except for Nonito and in that fight he was hurt.

I think Usyk has been absolutely dominant and you cant really say anything negative about the guy even if you are a hater, except for maybe Shawn porter having an amateur win over him when he had been 2 or 3 years boxing as an amateur, 6 years away from his gold medal and still not grown into his body. Even then it was a 3 round fight I think and it was a “button score” system, Porter won by 4 points or something, which makes sense against porter, Crawford was arguably losing the fight early as well.

So if thats the only blemish I can think for Usyk, then I really cant put anyone above him, even Tyson, as great as he has been, has struggled with lesser opposition and nearly got killed by Deontay

7. cuban23 Black Belt

There just isn't a clear cut no.1 imo.

Crawford hasn't beaten anybody of note since Gamboa in 2014. He's maintained a top position due to being undefeated and passing the eye test, but Spence would've also passed that eye test given those same opponents. He needs to fight better opponents, specifically: Spence.

Canelo: I think I've made my case. I think he's fighting opponents that are easy pickings. He's also passed the eye test (due to the opponents). I do think he beat Golovkin in the rematch, so at least he has a better win than Crawford. There's opponents out there that would really test him. So he's got more opportunities than Crawford does.

Usyk fights at HW, and that is probably the worst division in boxing. CW isn't that far behind. He's a great fighter, but the talent is just not great.

Inoue: he's picking on small guys, I can't get the Donaire fight out of my head.

Josh Taylor: Good fighter, really bad division. I'll be more impressed if he can do it at 147 as well.

Fury: No Heavyweight shall ever be ranked P4P 1

Estrada: Very clearly lost to Chocolatito. I find it appalling that people rank him in the top 10 after that fight which he CLEARLY LOST.

8. Misery Signals Orange Belt

Should be based off of resume and accomplishments imo.

9. ssx Brown Belt

Canelo
    Inoue
    Usyk
    Crawford
    Spence

10. totoro mick b White Belt

You can use the very same logic with every single "ATG" in boxing history. (including Muhammad Ali).

This isn't the way to look at the sport. The only thing that matters are career achievments. Why ? Because talking is easy. Sharing your subjective opinion is easy. But actually achieving what these guys have done throughout their careers is something else. Ask yourself..Would you be able to do it ? Even if your life depended on it ?

You can always rationalize things with your subjective perspective and conclude : "Meh!... Poor competition"..."Poor division"...."easy pickings" ....etc..But what are the odds of them being where they are ?... What are the chances of anyone becoming a professional athlete? Ridiculously slim.
    In boxing, even those we label as "gatekeepers"... are exceptional. Because they had to sarcrifice a lot, train their butts off to get where they are... They too, had a dream of becoming champions. Getting paid to do what they do is already an achievement in itself.

The odds of becoming a millionaire in America are between 6.4% to 22.3% according to data from the Federal Reserve Board's Survey of Consumer Finances.
    the National Safety Council puts the odds of dying in a car crash at 1 in 107
    The odds of Josh Taylor becoming undisputed in his division are 1 in 1,798
    The odds of becoming a pro Soccer player are 1 in 5,768
    The odds of becoming a NFL player are 1 in 4,233

You have more chances of dying in a car crash than becoming a professional athlete...Let alone being part of any TOP 20..
    Chances get even slimmer if we only count those who managed to become "champions"... Things get even more unlikely if we're talking about the likes of Crawford, Usyk, Taylor... Only six fighters in the history of boxing have accomplished becoming undisputed champions during the four-belt era. (Canelo, Usyk, Crawford, Hopkins, Josh Taylor, Jermain Taylor..)

11. randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

i gotta say, i like this way of thinking and generally agree... but one thing to note here is that usyk has only had 19 fights. i honestly believe that no matter how good you are, if you fight long enough there will eventually be an off night or an opponent that you will just match up badly with. floyd had 50 fights. canelo just had his 60th.

and while naoya has decapitated some poor fools who had no business being in the ring with him, nonito is far from his only credible win. he was also quite lucky with how the ref handled the body shot knockdown - he gave nonito quite a bit extra time there. narvaez and mcdonnell were legitimate champions and he murdered both, while coming up in weight. payano was an excellent boxer, he literally KO'd him with the first 2 punches he threw. so i think inoue's problem is two-fold: he is fighting in divisions where even the best fighters are relatively unknown, and he's effortlessly walking through world class opposition, which makes it seem like the guys he's fighting are no good. they are, he's just a monster.

there is a point to be made about usyk's lack of one punch KO power. i think it doesn't matter, since he puts people away with accumulation of precise shots, but we can all admit that there are plenty of people in the division who can crack better than him. he would have an even easier time dismantling everyone if he packed wilder's power, for instance. another legit criticism of his was that he wasn't moving his head enough - this was prior to his joshua fight though. anyone who still claims this after the masterclass he put on against AJ is an idiot.

i think josh taylor fits your criteria quite well. superb boxer, makes very few mistakes, is taking everyone's cherry, backs down from no one, isn't handed any bullshit decisions. but again, has only had 18 fights.

baconCrunch, BoxingMMA and Nova44 like this.
  12. randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

not that i disagree with the general message of your post... but i imagine this number is rather misleading. i understand there are some 20M millionaires in the US, which means some 8% of the population are millionaires - but that's not exactly the same as your chance of becoming a millionaire being 8%.

being born in a poor state, to a poor family puts your odds of ever becoming a millionaire a lot closer to 0% than 22%. not being white also reduces your odds significantly. similarly being born to parents who are millionaires improves your chances of becoming one dramatically.

how were the odds of taylor becoming undisputed in the division calculated? not being a dick here, i'm genuinely interested.

13. svmVR2097 Brown Belt

Canelo, Crawford, Usyk, Inoue, Taylor

14. Cariñito Broner Brodie/Canelo Cartel/Errol Express/ Double Yellow Card

You and @Soul_of_Rage voted other.
    I'm assuming Rungvisai was your vote?

15. zumbulare White Belt

I am confuses why would you have Taylor on this list?

16. PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

Canelo
    Usyk
    Inoue

everyone else/who cares

17. DaRivv20 Robert Whittaker’s Official Simp.

My top 3 are

Canelo

Crawford

Usyk.

18. LangfordBarrow StickAndMove Platinum Member

I think I could go Usyk but he's probably getting some PFP bias since he's a HW.

19. LangfordBarrow StickAndMove Platinum Member

Is that true though? Maybe it should be "It's not just about who you beat, but the circumstances, and how you beat them."

20. LangfordBarrow StickAndMove Platinum Member

And unify at 154? If he beats Spence impressively he'll get it from me.

randomg1t likes this.