whos to watch for best boxing/hands

phenomfan1529 said:
Yeah i agree. I remember on his second fight with Telligman, he threw a leg kick so hard that it spun Telligman around. It was pretty funny.

Yeah, but in his fight with Tim, he got knocked out when he threw a low kick.

I forgot to add that Kharitonov and Arlovski both have good boxing skills.

Paul Buentello is an underrated puncher. Check out some of his KOTC fights.

Personally I'm not too impressed with Aarlovski's boxing skills, he tends to favour the right hand too much and neglect to throw the left when he gets into throwing flurries.

Vitor v Silva is a good example of straight left-right combos for MMA. Impressive about that is how Vitor manages to keep up the pressure while steamrolling forward. Most people who try that get off-balanced or fall flat on their face.

in ufc who else has really good hands besides vitor, i noticed pedro rizzo had some ok boxing... when those of u that replied sayign vitor doesnt have good hands, did u mean that only when compared to pro boxers also?

and if a pro boxer like floyd mayweather was to do ufc what would he have to change in his boxing technique to adapt to fighting against kicks and takedowns

vitor's hands are ok...yves edwards has better hands, as does jens pulver, as does gomi, as does rich franklin...loiseau....militech

vitor's stright punches and his crosses are good, his lead right is excellent; but that has as much to do w/his speed and explosiveness as it does his overall tech. His footwork is decent but breaks down when u apply pressure and he punches one shot at a time, he rarely throws combos..he throws flurries...there is a diff. His def checks are lacking as is his def tech, his off is his def and once u stymie that he is a target for counter hooks, jab and the over hand right...not to mention the uppercut/hook combo.

the guys i mentioned don't have his gifts, but all of them are all more complete strikers w/their hands in regards to def/counters/cage generalship/combos/setups and strategy... hell even don frye has better hands than don frye, he just does not have the speed and athleticism...but tech wise..no question.

Personally, I thought Rampage put on a nice display against Chuck. He used some nice covering, a bit of bobbing/weaving, and some good counters.
Also Gomi vs Pluver was great to watch. Not enough people throw punches to the body like they should.

Anderson Silva is good striker even though he mixes it up with kicks and knees. Comparing mma to boxing in stand-up striking is just plain retarded as in boxing you can take more chances without too much fear of being countered. You can duck your head and not eat a knee or kick in boxing. You can throw wild and turn your back to your opponent and have the ref break it up. You can throw your combos and clinch for a break.

MMA has sad strikers, apart from the CroCops, Wanderlei's, and Chucks of the world, of which there are few.

if u want clean, sharp punching technique, watch Sugar Ray Leonard. He may be hated from that very controversial win against Marvin Hagler, but i've been studying him lately and the man has technique sharper than a fresh katana blade.

sir037 said:
Paul Buentello is an underrated puncher. Check out some of his KOTC fights.

Somebody else knows!

Yeah, Paul beat the crap out of Eilers with his hand speed and accuracy. How else you think that potbelly does so well in the UFC? lol.

I'm surprised no one said Wandy yet. I know he's best known for his knees in the clinch, but he and CroCop are sort of the two top guys in MMA right now known as strikers.

perfy said:
Comparing mma to boxing in stand-up striking is just plain retarded as in boxing you can take more chances without too much fear of being countered. You can duck your head and not eat a knee or kick in boxing. You can throw wild and turn your back to your opponent and have the ref break it up. You can throw your combos and clinch for a break.

I agree. Plus if an MMA fighter's boxing is as good as that of a pure boxer, that probably mean's he's spending too much time on boxing. MMA is like decathlon, decathletes can't afford to spend too much time on one skill set.

phenomfan1529 said:
Yeah, I love the "Vitor Blitz".

That was awesome. I watched it on slow motion and he's throwing as many as 3-4 punches per second.

jens pulver-other than mma studies boxing, has good form

gooth4 said:
jens pulver-other than mma studies boxing, has good form

yeah,

Watch Foyd JR for a current boxer who has excellent hands

Also old tyson fights when he used to move his head, come in and counter punch. He used to have the ability to get in the right position to swing heavy leather.

BJ Penn has decent counter punching in MMA.
Mirko is good to watch too. Especially when he's setting up the infamous LHK
Vitor can Jackhammer but is often sloppy and gasses.
I don't think anyone mentioned Hoost who looks good except when he tries to slug with bob sapp.

If you really want to see excellent all around standup, just watch K1 Max. Otherwise, for boxing, Bernard Hopkins is another good technical fighter. For kicks, watch Ernesto Hoost and Peter Aerts in their primes. For knees, just see if you can get your hands on some muay thai fights from thailand. I disagree with the guy who said Evan Tanner has good knees. Anyone can tie up and throw knees like he does. There are a lot more techniques in the clinch then just grabbing someone's head and pulling it down like Wanderlei and Tanner. You would waste a lot of energy trying to do that on someone who has fought in Thailand or trained real MT. That's why you see so many round knees in fights from Thailand.

Back