whos the worst matchup for werdum?

Ashi Barai

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
not saying anyone right now would beat him..
but who would at least give him the toughest fight and the worst stylistic matchup?

Potentially Overeem. He has a longer reach and is still a better striker. I think he can stay out of submissions on the ground as well

JDS.

Excellent TDD, better striking, more power, and doesn't need to get Werdum to the mat to implement his gameplan.

I think strikers with KO power and TDD are his biggest threats. JDS, Arlovski, Overeem. I think Overeem is the best striker of those three, with the biggest reach. Werdum has really improved his striking obviously, but he generally still isn't a 1-punch knockout artist, which is where Overeem's weakness lies (his chin). Overeem has a good chance to win by just outstriking him. Cigano also could win if he fights aggressively, going straight for the KO.

JDS or possibly even Barnett (although he hasn't faced elite competition in nearly a decade and is likely a shell of his former self). Reem is also tough because Werdum is not much of a 1 hit KO type of guy and it's very tough to flat out outpoint Reem in a standup fight. You either KO him or you likely lose

UpstandingDosSantos.gif

I'd give it to Junior but Barnett as stated matches up very well with Werdum

JDS or Stipe. I'd put Reem up there as well, but I don't trust his chin enough at this point.

I'm gna go out on a limb here and say JDS may not heat him in a rematch. He looked considerably slower in his fight with Stipe after two brutal fight with Cain and Werdums striking has improved immensely. I think it's a very close fight

Back