Who's the highest level guy you've rolled with?

Last summer I got to roll with Eddie Bravo. I was a white belt. He was just playing around, giving me room to try stuff. I used lockdown and whipup and did an electric chair sweep, but he just chillin. Finally he took control and got me in side control, and set up a can crusher.

Funny thing is, I knew it was coming, because on his forum he has a Q&A thread and I asked him what his favorite submission is from top side control and he told me.

So when he put it on I was trying to defend and frame but his pressure aond control were perfect. He put the choke on and I didn't even really feel it. There was no real crushing or anything, just perfectly placed pressure. I almost went out before I actually figured out that I was losing consciouness and needed to tap! haha. It was awesome.

I got to roll with 10P Blackbelt Boogeyman Richie Martinez. Awesome grips, tight clinch, great control, wicked gogoplata game. I was helpless.

I have had the pleasure of rolling with Monkey (Richie Nancoo) and number of times and what can I say, he is a killer. There is nothing I can do. I watch him surf on blackbelts that have 60+ pounds on him and he can ride them right to sub-town. He is amazing.

I have also rolled with Monkeys Purple Belt/UFC fighter Mich Gagnon. He walks all over me too. He takes his jits seriously and trains hard. Hell, they all do!

I am lucky to be training at a club that is affiliated with all these guys. Very blessed.

Last summer I got to roll with Eddie Bravo. I was a white belt. He was just playing around, giving me room to try stuff. I used lockdown and whipup and did an electric chair sweep, but he just chillin. Finally he took control and got me in side control, and set up a can crusher.

Funny thing is, I knew it was coming, because on his forum he has a Q&A thread and I asked him what his favorite submission is from top side control and he told me.

So when he put it on I was trying to defend and frame but his pressure aond control were perfect. He put the choke on and I didn't even really feel it. There was no real crushing or anything, just perfectly placed pressure. I almost went out before I actually figured out that I was losing consciouness and needed to tap! haha. It was awesome.

I feel dumb, but what's a can crusher? I thought it was more of a setup for something and not an actual submission?

Formiga, Quiexinho, Tanquinho, Joao Gabriel Rocha, and Munchie. I'm big enough so that none of them smashed me with pressure. Instead, they all smashed me with smoothness and fluidity that I've never really experienced before.

Dang man, I know you're Pessadissimo, but surely Joao Gabriel at least brought the pressure?

My list isn't as impressive as a lot of the guys here, but I've been pretty lucky too as my instructor likes bringing in top guys for seminars. Off the top of my head:

De la Riva, 'Boca' Oliveira (as good as lots of these guys but not well known), Otavio Sousa, Lucas Rocha, Andre Galvao, Guto Campos, Cyborg Abreu, Lucas Lepri and probably a couple more I can't remember.

Rolling with de la Riva and having him put his namesake guard on me was probably one of the coolest moments I've had in jiujitsu. It helps that I had only been training for less than 2 years or so at that point so I was enamored but it was sort of surreal and one of the coolest things about this game.

Marcelo Garcia
Lucas Leite
Ryan Hall

Some others I've rolled with were maybe more highly decorated than Hall, but he was pretty unreal in just flow-rolling.

Lister doesn't seem to friendly. is he a phallus to roll with or is he cool?

Dean was a very cool guy to roll with, ridiculously strong, but if he catches a leglock, he gives you plenty of time to tap, i actually rolled for a kneebar on him and laughed and said " that's funny, nobodies tried to leglock me in years, its refreshing"

Comprido, Alexandre Dantas and Pe De Pano in BJJ.

Simeon Thoresen and John Olav Einemo in Submission Wrestling.

Managed to survive a bit vs Comprido and Dantas but got utterly smashed by the other 3. :)

Robson Moura is the biggest name I've ever rolled with. Great coach, good guy, beat me up without breaking a sweat.

The first high-level guy I trained with consistently was Tyrone Glover. He hasn't been active in a while, but he's worth a look on YouTube. My deep half guard and footlock game is 100% rooted in training with him. He was the guy that showed me how far I had to go, but also the guy that showed me it wasn't impossible to get there.

Drew- Marcelo's knee is fine- he is rolling a lot these days.

I've been fortunate enough to roll with Marcelo numerous times since 2006/2007. He's always been very nice to me. If you roll with him, just be ready to move a lot, as he likes to play a transitional style of bjj, even letting go of taps just so you can continue to move.

Drew- Marcelo's knee is fine- he is rolling a lot these days.

I've been fortunate enough to roll with Marcelo numerous times since 2006/2007. He's always been very nice to me. If you roll with him, just be ready to move a lot, as he likes to play a transitional style of bjj, even letting go of taps just so you can continue to move.

That's awesome!

Man that's exactly how I like to roll. That sounds great!

I should be able to be in that area before the end of the year, I hope.

tim kennedy i had just gotten my purple 4 months ago and was 19 he just grabbed my wrist from bottom half guard and forced a kimura it was like a grown man playing with a toddler there was nothing i could do to stop him i have never felt strength like that he could honestly probably win adcc in the 99kg or 88 kg if he cut

tim kennedy i had just gotten my purple 4 months ago and was 19 he just grabbed my wrist from bottom half guard and forced a kimura it was like a grown man playing with a toddler there was nothing i could do to stop him i have never felt strength like that he could honestly probably win adcc in the 99kg or 88 kg if he cut

That's funny. The strongest and most powerful grappler I've ever rolled with (I'm 180 lbs and he makes me feel like an actual child) told me that that Tim Kennedy was the toughest and strongest person that he'd ever rolled with. I thought maybe it was an exaggeration but it sounds like not.

That's funny. The strongest and most powerful grappler I've ever rolled with (I'm 180 lbs and he makes me feel like an actual child) told me that that Tim Kennedy was the toughest and strongest person that he'd ever rolled with. I thought maybe it was an exaggeration but it sounds like not.

no dude... he is superman... nobody has ever been able to do me the way he did it was 5 years ago and i was a early purple but i was winning brown belt tourneys back then and he just killed everything i tried to do smashed through my guard put so much pressure on me was insane look how he did with roger on the ground lol he is the reason i started focusing on wrestling and being more aggressive cause he kept yelling at me for pulling guard in our mma classes lol

so it's pretty much true he rolls with all the drop ins?

this was a bit more than a year ago now. i asked one of his students i rolled with if he would, and he said to get my ass over to him and he would in a second. we bumped fists and Marcelo proceeded to kick the tar out of me for a little bit. he could not have been anymore of a nice guy. we talked for a bit after class and let me take a few pics with him. he asked where i trained and said i was welcome back. that was a pretty cool feeling right there.

no dude... he is superman... nobody has ever been able to do me the way he did it was 5 years ago and i was a early purple but i was winning brown belt tourneys back then and he just killed everything i tried to do smashed through my guard put so much pressure on me was insane look how he did with roger on the ground lol he is the reason i started focusing on wrestling and being more aggressive cause he kept yelling at me for pulling guard in our mma classes lol

I've hear that Tim was a Beastly Grappler. those Spec Ops guys are known in the military for having insane cardio and endurance. that said Tim Kennedy in an interview mentioned how a beginner Grappler in Chris Weidman gave him all he could handle as far as grappling. so what does that say about Weidman:eek:

I've hear that Tim was a Beastly Grappler. those Spec Ops guys are known in the military for having insane cardio and endurance. that said Tim Kennedy in an interview mentioned how a beginner Grappler in Chris Weidman gave him all he could handle as far as grappling. so what does that say about Weidman:eek:

Weidman is an NCAA div 1 calibre athlete in a sport that has quite a few similarities.

Marcelo Garcia, rafa mendes, buchecha, rickson, roger, st. pierre, werdum.

Garcia, Glover, Braulio, Dannis, Feitosa, Cooper, Kron, Gui Mendes, so on.

However, nobody has made me feel like I don't know shit about BJJ after 10+ years as Rafa Mendes does in no gi. It's a weird experience.

Dang man, I know you're Pessadissimo, but surely Joao Gabriel at least brought the pressure?

He was being nice :)

But all of them are so damn smooth, it was like nothing I've ever experienced. I've been smashed many times by black belts but it always FELT like I was being smashed. These guys smashed me in a way that I can only describe as rolling with a ghost...it's almost like they were moving around me ethereally and then BAM - there's my arm or BAM - there's a choke.

It's truly a feeling of helplessness on a whole other level.

Back