Who's The Biggest Threat To Valentina Shevchenko?

I remember Nina was swarming her against the fence and Suarez had no answer, covering up and trying to survive.
It's interesting how a fight can change in one's mind. I believe she was tired and injured (I believe?) so she basically took the round off. She was never in real trouble tho

Araujo is really good... Her striking defense is kind of elementary, but that should change in time. She's the most accomplished grappler in the division & a pretty good boxer with power in both hands.

It's interesting how a fight can change in one's mind. I believe she was tired and injured (I believe?) so she basically took the round off. She was never in real trouble tho

Oh, hang on, you're right, yeah. I remember something about her being injured now that you mention it. I don't think she took the round off exactly. I thought she still won nearly all of it, and that Nina just had a few good moments at the end.

No idea, but it'll be a grappler and probably someone who moves down rather than up.

Val avenged that loss to Carmouche with complete ease, making Carmouche look so completely average and ineffective that the UFC cut her afterwards.

And look, I like the Chook. She's got some good striking, she's fun to watch, and she won me 6k in her last fight, but I don't see her standing any chance here.

I get the reach advantage, but Val was at a reach advantage against Holly, a more decorated striker than Chook, and Holly could do absolutely nothing on the feet to Val and got 50-45'd easily.

I seriously don't see Chook being competitive here. I don't see her winning one round, let alone 3.

Who knows though? They're two of the best at FLW, and I'm looking forward to it.
I've kind of always thought of Carmouche as average and ineffective. Just my opinion. She'll mostly be remembered for the time she almost choked Ronda.

Holly is a far more decorated striker than Katlyn, competing as a pro fighter in 78 fights over the course of 19 years. Which is 13 years and 63 fights more than Katlyn, and I'm only counting pro fights.

I could throw on her 7 ammys over 2 years and it wouldn't even matter. I would assume Holly had a bunch of ammys in boxing and kickboxing, more than 19 years ago.

That is a ridiculous amount of wear and tear that Katlyn doesn't have. She's also 7 years younger than Holly.

Val's doesn't show nearly as much, but she also has a ton of wear and tear, with 83 pro fights over 16 years. That's 5 more fights in 3 less years than Holly, and she's also 7 years younger.

I can't help but think Katlyn has a pretty good chance of pulling this off. She's well rounded, doesn't seem to mind fighting a full length fight, and if she throws in some takedown attempts to make Val guess a bit.. like you said, who knows?

It's likely to be a good fight, I'm also looking forward to it. I do think though that it will be a pretty competitive fight, no matter the outcome.

At +700 though, you may want to at least consider betting on Katlyn again. Imo, she's a +450 at worst. Bettors have her standing at almost as much of an underdog as Serra vs GSP. That's mind boggling to me.

I've kind of always thought of Carmouche as average and ineffective. Just my opinion. She'll mostly be remembered for the time she almost choked Ronda.

Holly is a far more decorated striker than Katlyn, competing as a pro fighter in 78 fights over the course of 19 years. Which is 13 years and 63 fights more than Katlyn, and I'm only counting pro fights.

I could throw on her 7 ammys over 2 years and it wouldn't even matter. I would assume Holly had a bunch of ammys in boxing and kickboxing, more than 19 years ago.

That is a ridiculous amount of wear and tear that Katlyn doesn't have. She's also 7 years younger than Holly.

Val's doesn't show nearly as much, but she also has a ton of wear and tear, with 83 pro fights over 16 years. That's 5 more fights in 3 less years than Holly, and she's also 7 years younger.

I can't help but think Katlyn has a pretty good chance of pulling this off. She's well rounded, doesn't seem to mind fighting a full length fight, and if she throws in some takedown attempts to make Val guess a bit.. like you said, who knows?

It's likely to be a good fight, I'm also looking forward to it. I do think though that it will be a pretty competitive fight, no matter the outcome.

At +700 though, you may want to at least consider betting on Katlyn again. Imo, she's a +450 at worst. Bettors have her standing at almost as much of an underdog as Serra vs GSP. That's mind boggling to me.

Definitely won't be betting on the Chook this time.

You're right, Val doesn't have that many more MMA fights than Chook, but I don't know if the wear and tear really comes into it. It's never really shown on Val. The thing with Chook is, that a lot of her MMA fights have been the sort that would take their toll. Meanwhile, I can't really a remember any fight where Val had a really tough time, even when she was losing. That's down to her style, I guess. The girl just doesn't put herself into a firefight ever.

I just can't get past what I've seen other fighters do to Chook, both in her losses and wins. I couldn't really imagine Chook outstriking someone like Joanna, and Joanna wasn't competitive at all against Val.

I think the strength is going to come into play too. Val is deceptively strong. She had no problem out muscling girls at BW. If it goes to the ground I think she'll have a decided edge there.

I do think it's going to be a good fight though, and I hope Chook at least has a good showing, because I've liked watching her for a while now.

Before throwing out a bunch of names, we need to figure out the skills needed to beat Valentina. Beating her in striking isn't going to happen unless you're her sister or possibly GDR, even Amanda Nunes was losing the standup and won both fights with her takedowns. The next problem is her takedown defence and ground game are both quite good, I don't think she's quite as good as Joanna at TDD but she's also a much better grappler.

Which gives you a couple options; a 125lbs version of Amanda Nunes but with better skills since she won't have a huge size & strength advantage, or a very good wrestler with explosive powerful takedowns, a solid ground control game, and good enough striking so she can setup her wrestling entries.

At 125 there's no one who meets either of those conditions. No one is close to Amanda Nunes in terms of overall skill level and hitting power, and the best wrestler (Carmouche) was soundly beaten. There's no smaller 135ers with those skills either, Nunes can beat her at 135 but she sure as hell ain't making 125. Which leaves 115. Lots of folks say Zhang will give her a good fight but I doubt it. She's nowhere close to Valentina in striking and considering that she went 2 for 8 against Tecia Torres on takedowns, she ain't getting Val down.

Suarez has the wrestling but her standup and footwork aren't good enough to setup clean entries, she doesn't have a particularly fast shot and depends on pushing her opponent to the fence and working her chain wrestling. She probably has the best chance out of all of them, but she'll be forced to take shots from bad positions which makes her takedowns a lot easier to defend. Probably end up similar to the Carmouche fight, but more even and less boring.

I think with these kinda odds before every of her fight (isn't she -1300? or something like that) and her style of fighting some s..it will happen, you can be almost sure. yeah this match up is not good (small chance for entertaining fight), Shevchenko is way better fighter, but again with her "no risk" fighting, and defenisve mindset it can be lottery if it will be something similar to her last fight, Katlyn can act like she active Holly's style ish-ish...

Oh, hang on, you're right, yeah. I remember something about her being injured now that you mention it. I don't think she took the round off exactly. I thought she still won nearly all of it, and that Nina just had a few good moments at the end.

She had a serious neck injury that she still hasnt recovered from.

probably Joanna contender if she goes back up.dont really care though , its wmma.

I don't know if the wear and tear really comes into it. It's never really shown on Val.
It may be starting to affect her. She has received a relatively long (6 months) medical suspension after the recent Chookagian title defense.

Valentina Shevchenko Receives Lengthy Medical Suspension
February 12, 2020
By Temmyguru
https://tgtrends.com.ng/sports/valentina-shevchenko-receives-lengthy-medical-suspension.html

"...it appears that Shevchenko may have taken more damage than initially thought, or she may have entered the Octagon with a pre-existing injury."

"
The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) has released a list of medical suspensions for the athletes that participated in the Houston event... The document shows that Bullet is medically suspended until August 7, 2020. The report provided by the TDLR, however, doesn’t state why Shevchenko has received such a lengthy suspension. The flyweight champion has yet to comment. This is a point of interest as Shevchenko didn’t receive much punishment during the bout with Chookagian. And the Blonde Fighter [Chookagian] is only suspended until March 25."

2504943.png

ARAUJO_VIVIANE.png

images

i

CALDERWOOD_JOANNE.png

images

4350762.png
Alec Trevelyan

Nobody currently there. 125 is so terrible.

It may be starting to affect her. She has received a relatively long (6 months) medical suspension after the recent Chookagian title defense.

Valentina Shevchenko Receives Lengthy Medical Suspension
February 12, 2020
By Temmyguru
https://tgtrends.com.ng/sports/valentina-shevchenko-receives-lengthy-medical-suspension.html

"...it appears that Shevchenko may have taken more damage than initially thought, or she may have entered the Octagon with a pre-existing injury."

"
The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) has released a list of medical suspensions for the athletes that participated in the Houston event... The document shows that Bullet is medically suspended until August 7, 2020. The report provided by the TDLR, however, doesn’t state why Shevchenko has received such a lengthy suspension. The flyweight champion has yet to comment. This is a point of interest as Shevchenko didn’t receive much punishment during the bout with Chookagian. And the Blonde Fighter [Chookagian] is only suspended until March 25."

Eh, those medical suspensions get handed out pretty much every fight for the smallest of reasons. Maybe she fractured her hand or something throwing a strike. I wouldn't look into this much at all to be honest.

Back