Who's the best TMA style striker in The UFC/MMA?

Wasn't trying to win anything kiddo, I was just saying. My bad if I had never seen that acronym before. Sorry if I didn't address the important question of making a list of all the "TMA" based fighters.

But you called them "traditional martial arts". From what you are saying they are known as "martial arts". I honestly always thought of boxing as a martial art, wrestling, not so much. First time I've heard of this discernment and the use of "traditional" to describe asian martial arts that apparently do not include Muay Thai, which is also asian.

You know, at this point all martial arts have became combat sports anyway. Take Judo for example, the Judo that is taught today is definitely not the same that Jigoro Kano developed back in the beginning of the 20th century, what he did back then was solely focused on self defense.
It has shifted it's focus since it was included in the Olympic games and other Judo specific competitions and lost a bit of it's "martial" traits.

All martial arts have gone through similar developments.

Any combat discipline--including wrestling--definitely falls into the category of "martial arts," but the term TMA has come to refer to those systems of fighting that have come out of Japan, China and Korea. For the most part this means karate, taekwondo, the various styles of kung fu, judo and Japanese jujutsu. (Though I have seen some people hesitate to throw judo into that mix for whatever reason.)

Is Conor's base Karate or TKD?

His base is boxing. But there's something about his distance management, his stance, and the way he throws punches and kicks that is heavily influenced by TKD. Hence why I said "to an extent".

listen ya spergs- when someone says TMA, they are referring to the arts that are traditionally taught by old longhaired chinese men in exotic mountain villages.

The arts that utilize chi and whatnot. Your karates and taekwondos, but also your wushus and kungfus and ninjitsus.

For some reason, judo, sumo and jiujitsu dont apply. Needs fancy kicks I guess.

listen ya spergs- when someone says TMA, they are referring to the arts that are traditionally taught by old longhaired chinese men in exotic mountain villages.

The arts that utilize chi and whatnot. Your karates and taekwondos, but also your wushus and kungfus and ninjitsus.

For some reason, judo, sumo and jiujitsu dont apply. Needs fancy kicks I guess.

I disapprove of the sarcasm in this post.

yeah but most people when asked to define "martial arts" western boxing and Greco freestly,folk,catch wrestling isn't going to be their answer, cmong you know that.

and even though we are all educated in the disciplines that make up MMA. id' wager to say that 50% of MMA practitioners or fans on this site wouldn't consider Boxing or wrestling "Martial Arts" for Martial Arts is generally considered a wholly encompassing term or name for fighting styles that originated in Asia.

though by the strict definition of MA yes you are correct Boxing and wrestling fall into that definition.
Their ignorance is not my problem. Wrestling has been practiced traditionally in Iran and India for centuries. They spread both striking and grappling to the rest of Asia. Iran even had everyone else best on the warrior monk culture.

Roger Hollett, makes Edson Barboza look like an nonathletic, white dude.

Roger-Hollett-vs-Fabio-Maldonados-steel-cup..gif

But you called them "traditional martial arts". From what you are saying they are known as "martial arts". I honestly always thought of boxing as a martial art, wrestling, not so much. First time I've heard of this discernment and the use of "traditional" to describe asian martial arts that apparently do not include Muay Thai, which is also asian.

You know, at this point all martial arts have became combat sports anyway. Take Judo for example, the Judo that is taught today is definitely not the same that Jigoro Kano developed back in the beginning of the 20th century, what he did back then was solely focused on self defense.
It has shifted it's focus since it was included in the Olympic games and other Judo specific competitions and lost a bit of it's "martial" traits.

All martial arts have gone through similar developments.
Wow you need to check your facts. Jigoro Kano created judo AS A SPORT because traditional Japanese jiu jitsu was losing its appeal in an era of modern weaponry. Judo has always been a sport, but it's introduction into the Olympics watered it down even more so.

Back