Who's the all-time greatest MMA Striker?

Who's the all-time greatest MMA Striker?

• Total voters
I can't think of anyone in MMA who made me think, "Holy shit!" with his striking as many times as Anderson Silva.

I can.

Machida.

Bicycle kicks, front kicks, knees, 1 hitter quitters, combos, and against bigger/better fighters than on Silva's resume.

Silva styled over a fairly mediocre MW division; he's a more accomplished version of MVP

Last edited:
I dont think he's top 5 but I think Poirier deserve more respect for his striking.

He went toe to toe with Justin, Holloway, Eddie, Hooker, Conor and many more and came out on top.

He's so calm inside even when shits get crazy. He should at least be on the list.

My initial thought was Overeem because of his work in k1, but since we are talking about MMA, it should be Anderson Silva.

Conor in his prime had some of the best MMA striking as well.

I dont think he's top 5 but I think Poirier deserve more respect for his striking.

He went toe to toe with Justin, Holloway, Eddie, Hooker, Conor and many more and came out on top.

He's so calm inside even when shits get crazy. He should at least be on the list.

Dustin seems more like a guy who breaks people with his pace while having solid boxing and power. I think from a pure striking perspective, most of the fighters TS listed should be above him, imo.

Dustin seems more like a guy who breaks people with his pace while having solid boxing and power. I think from a pure striking perspective, most of the fighters TS listed should be above him, imo.
Cant disagree with that but I'd rank him above Pettis. I'd put him and Lawler in the same tier.

Pettis, for as flashy as he is/was, he's got a lot of holes in his standup to be considered one of the greats.

See, here's an example why it's a flawed question.

Arguably, GSP's striking is so good cos of the threat of the TD. Would his striking be as effective without it? It's irrelevant, since it's mma, not kickboxing.

Silva, however, posed no TD threat, he was purely a striking stylist; hence, better than GSP.

I don't like these sorts of questions, cos you can't really talk about each discipline in isoltation, cos they all relate to one another.

There's no pure striking in mma, it's all informed by the other elements.

But for the sake of this thread, I don't think GSP is the answer. Many more talented strikers than him.

See, here's an example why it's a flawed question.

Arguably, GSP's striking is so good cos of the threat of the TD. Would his striking be as effective without it? It's irrelevant, since it's mma, not kickboxing.

Silva, however, posed no TD threat, he was purely a striking stylist; hence, better than GSP.

I don't like these sorts of questions, cos you can't really talk about each discipline in isoltation, cos they all relate to one another.

There's no pure striking in mma, it's all informed by the other elements.

But for the sake of this thread, I don't think GSP is the answer. Many more talented strikers than him.
Imo. Silva was juiced his entire career. Gave him a speed advantage among other things imo. So he is not even in the discussion.

Conor McGregor. His nuclear left is one of those punches fighters get shocked by, its like they cant even believe how hard he just hit them. He also has endless arsenal of different strikes like jumping shoulder strikes, 360 tornado kicks etc. the guy can do it all.

Imo. Silva was juiced his entire career. Gave him a speed advantage among other things imo. So he is not even in the discussion.

Cool.

I already said in an earlier post Machida >>>>> Silva.

so no argument from me.

but he was a very talented striker, athleticism (PEDs), aside, dude.

Cool.

I already said in an earlier post Machida >>>>> Silva.

so no argument from me.

but he was a very talented striker, athleticism (PEDs), aside, dude.
Silva was one of my favourite fighters to watch and peds didn’t take him from being a scrub to a beast. He had the talent. But to me, peds in combat sports is not forgivable.

It was a toss up between Anderson and CroCop for me.

8-Weapons Grand Slam

I name this to describe completing left-hand (T)KO, right-hand (T)KO, left-foot (T)KO, right-foot (T)KO, left-knee (T)KO, right-knee (T)KO, left-elbow (T)KO, and right-elbow(T)KO.

Who is/was the closest to completing this feat?
I assume Anderson is closest, my subsequent guesses would be Wandy, Shogun and Machida

Anderson. I’ve got 5/8
And might I add he has got these checked off with some all time great highlight KOs.

RH - Numerous, Forest Griffin, Marquardt, Okami
LH- _____
Left foot- Vitor
Right foot- ?
Left Elbow
Right Elbow - Tony Fryklund, Travis Lutter*
Left Knee- Rich Franklin
Right Knee- Chael Sonnen, Chris Leben

Maybe someone can fill in the missing spots...

Right foot
Left hand
Left elbow

* Upon quick look, both Wandy and Shogun favored the right foot and knee heavily. They may have stoppages with the left I missed, as both had runs in pride with kicks Albee’s and stomps, but what I saw was mostly right foot/knee.

Last edited:
there are better pure strikers that have entered mma but Anderson was and is the best MMA striker we've seen thus far.

bdFLUGk.gif

How Forrest went 25 Min with Prime Rampage without getting KTFO I still have no idea? Mind boggling..

Back