whos ruined their name worst, Wand/Anderson/Jones?

i'm going to go with anderson.

from being touted by many as the GOAT to a fighter whose reputation has now been tarnished by PED usage and his wins being questioned.

It's like the Special Olympics between those 3 -- if you win the prize, what, really, are you winning?

Jones' issues have affected his career by taking him away from the sport and taking his title, but they don't really affect my attitude about what he does in the cage. Him being a menace to society with his vehicle doesn't make me think less of him as a fighter.

Anderson's issues obviously involve PEDs and opens the question as to why a good fighter became a great fighter mid career. I have no idea whether he has been using PEDs for his entire career or much of his career or only for the one fight. But it certainly affects his legacy.

Wanderlei will always occupy a special place in the MMA pantheon. The guy was a true berzerker. Sure, he smashed some overmatched Japanese welterweights, but he also stepped up to fight Cro Cop and Mark Hunt. That he was likely on steroids throughout his career and is crazy as a loon doesn't detract as much from what he did for me. Maybe my expectations were lower for Wandy than for a guy like Anderson.

All of this.

Jones didn't tarnish his legacy as a fighter and will be back to clear the division out very soon. He will go down in history as the GOAT.

I don't give the slightest shit about what he does outside the octagon, I don't look at cage fighters as rolemodels (hint: neither should you)

Anderson got KO'd then snapped his leg after the most impressive winning streak in MMA history, and then got caught using roids.

His fall from grace was the worst IMO, because he could have gone down as the GOAT.

In my eyes, Jones. But he'll come back and no one will hold him accountable for the scumbag he is outside of the cage, because none of that matters to so many. He's so dominant, he gets a clean slate upon his return. So Anderson's dick pills will probably be more frowned upon :)

Wand was past his prime and he didn't have the legacy that the other two did.

Silva had has his entire career thrown into question.

Jones was allowed to effectively leave the sport on top, his status as GOAT material intact, even if people think he's an ass.

Silva has it worst, Jones may have benefitted, and Wandy may have hurt himself, but not to the degree that Silva did.

Wand: Bashing the UFC and making some strong remarks about them, Running from his drug test, claiming the UFC has fixed fights

Silva: Testing positive for steroids, brb dik pills from Thailand, people question whether or not he was on substances in his UFC career

Jones: Tests positive for coke, hits pregnant women 4 months later, run from scene with money, history of DUI's

Who has tarnished their career the most? I feel like Wand was never truly one of the GOATS rather he was just an exciting top level fighter...I think most people probably knew he was on PED's most of his career so it's not as bad, Jones is pretty young...he could rebound and just have this as a dark period in his career. Silva on the other hand lost a few sponsors most likely, embarrassed himself with that horrible defense, and is pretty much made fun of for how he finished his career (If it is the end)

Which one of these is the biggest fall from grace and if there are any others not mentioned. Only one I could see is Josh Grispi almost had that title fight with Aldo but lost a bunch, got cut, and ended up in prison for domestic abuse.

I would say that Andy and Jones are tied for first place, IMO Wandy's situation pales in comparison to these, and this is coming from an old devout Anderson Silva fan.

Oh how the mighty have fallen, and its crazy that both Andy and Jones crashed and burned around the same time. Dayum, is this a case of "birds of a feather"? :icon_cry2

I gotta say Anderson with the penis pill defense was pretty pathetic.
But my vote is for Jones. Using PEDs to gain competitive advantage is one thing, but the drug charges and DUIs plus almost killing a woman with child presumably while effed up on said vices. Wow man. Life fail.

Wand: Bashing the UFC and making some strong remarks about them, Running from his drug test, claiming the UFC has fixed fights

Silva: Testing positive for steroids, brb dik pills from Thailand, people question whether or not he was on substances in his UFC career

Jones: Tests positive for coke, hits pregnant women 4 months later, run from scene with money, history of DUI's

Who has tarnished their career the most? I feel like Wand was never truly one of the GOATS rather he was just an exciting top level fighter...I think most people probably knew he was on PED's most of his career so it's not as bad, Jones is pretty young...he could rebound and just have this as a dark period in his career. Silva on the other hand lost a few sponsors most likely, embarrassed himself with that horrible defense, and is pretty much made fun of for how he finished his career (If it is the end)

Which one of these is the biggest fall from grace and if there are any others not mentioned. Only one I could see is Josh Grispi almost had that title fight with Aldo but lost a bunch, got cut, and ended up in prison for domestic abuse.

IMO is Jon.
Wandi & Silva issues are (at least) connected to fighting.

Jon's are outside of the octagon.

Since PEDs were not banned in Pride, I don't see how Wand's legacy is tarnished. Maybe his UFC career is but that's not much of a legacy.

Jones never got caught doing PEDs, so his legacy in the cage is untarnished. As a person, not so much.

Anderson takes the biggest hit for a few reasons:

1) The first time he is tested outside of competition, he gets busted for roids. This leads to speculation about his entire career.
2) His legacy is in the UFC, where PEDs are banned.
3) He projected himself as a clean athlete, even stated that steroid users should be banned for life
4) His excuse for PEDs is ridiculous and he never really owned up to it.

But, time heals all wounds, and I know people won't hold this against Anderson forever.

I leave you with an Anderson Silva quote:

Since PEDs were not banned in Pride, I don't see how Wand's legacy is tarnished. Maybe his UFC career is but that's not much of a legacy.

Jones never got caught doing PEDs, so his legacy in the cage is untarnished. As a person, not so much.

Anderson takes the biggest hit for a few reasons:

1) The first time he is tested outside of competition, he gets busted for roids. This leads to speculation about his entire career.
2) His legacy is in the UFC, where PEDs are banned.
3) He projected himself as a clean athlete, even stated that steroid users should be banned for life
4) His excuse for PEDs is ridiculous and he never really owned up to it.

But, time heals all wounds, and I know people won't hold this against Anderson forever.

I leave you with an Anderson Silva quote:

I don't even see how Jones is included in the argument. The first two names have no way to redeem themselves. They are permanently tarnished. All Jones has to do is come back from his legal issue and perhaps perform some public service and he will be indisputable GOAT if he gets a couple more big wins.

Wand, bc he can't fight and redeem himself (although his last fight was a great way to go out)

anderson and jones will probably fight again, and all will be forgiven

Jones, just because he's caused the most harm in real life. The other two did some bad things in the world of mma but Jones is doing stuff that could potentially kill innocent people.

Bones name was disgraced early in his career. That same fact also gives him a chance to redeem himself in some peoples eyes.

Jones career still intact, he has personal problems for sure, but as a fighter he still unbeaten and flawsless. Now, Andy's problem for sure affect his legacy.

Like, I don't personally feel any different about Anderson or Wanderlei. I simply wasn't that surprised that they were or are on something. Jones, I dislike from everything I've heard about him.

But to answer the question, it's..... let's see..... Anderson, I guess? He was hailed as the all-time super duper GOAT, so humble, so respectful, so Bruce Lee, blah blah blah.

Wand easy IMO.

Jones can still salvage his career and IMO Anderson pissing hot doesn't take away his previous performances..he was coming of a brutal injury and I can see why he could of taken the wrong thing, I don't think it takes anything away from his past performances and I think he was most likely clean during his bouts.

Wand on the other hand was most likely juicing his entire career, not only did he run from a drug test we will never know the full extent of his what was in his system plus he was constantly talking trash on how Chael failed a drug test despite knowing that he himself was on PEDS, his TUF performance was an embarrasement to the sport and he looks completely rediculous these days with his hand held video recordings verbally bashing the UFC ..plus his fighting career is totally over.

Plus no one forgets that Wand got destroyed by Leben in 30 seconds.

Back