Who's punches would you rather have, pound for pound, Floyd Jr or Ali?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Floyd sure looks flashier and more refined while Ali had more KO's (but that could be due to other reasons). One could make a case for either one. I don't think Ali did anything better technically and neither does Foreman who adores Ali (See Foremans Larry King interview)

I don't know who punches harder, pound for pound. That would be a good thing to know.

The one thing in favor of Ali is that he threw a string of punches together better.

Last edited:
Floyd, because Ali didn’t know how to throw to the body.

But why Ali or Floyd when these guys aren’t really revered for being punchers?

Floyd had a more robust offensive repertoire than Ali did. He went to the body more often, he had better angles on his punches, he could throw pretty much any punch with perfect technical ability. Even if he didn't use his full skillset very often, he's shown he can do pretty much everything when it comes to putting out different punches and combos.

Ali's 1-2 was a thing of beauty, hard to beat that but he really wasn't a guy who you'd want to model yourself after as a fighter unless your athleticism was through the roof and you had all the intangibles that Ali had going for him. Floyd is a great athlete but his technical ability and fundamentals were second to none as well. Something a lesser skilled individual could learn whereas Ali's style commanded a significant amount of natural athleticism.

So yeah, the answer is Floyd for me.

As I am quite old I rather take Conor’s sucker punch please...

Floyd did pack a decent punch at 130 and 135.

Floyd

He was incredibly accurate with his right hand....and i still don't know of anyone doubling up on straights in the same way Floyd could.

Like him or not, he was fucking niiiice

Floyd as a superfeatherweight could punch good

Ali’s power was pretty underrated actually. I guess him

RJJ is actually a fraction faster too, pure punching-wise. Both are some of the fastest punchers ever.

Man, these guys did have some pretty great names.

This is interesting to me. Often when I read about up and coming boxers I actually look at their names and for some reason feel like I can predict their chances of success based on how cool or how boring their name is.

ill take tommy hearns

liked his style the best

Back