Who's Next For Nunes? Aldana, Ladd or Pena?

pcbh167

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I thought Ketlen Vieira would decisively beat Aldana and then fight Nunes for the belt, but I didn't expect her to get knocked out by Aldana. That was a very impressive win for Aldana.

I personally would like to see Nunes Vs Pena; that's a fight that should have happened years ago.

I don't think Nunes would be able to do any damage to Pena on the ground: Pena's ground game is elite. She's the best in the division at fighting off her back and using the butterfly guard to sweep opponents. I don't even think Nunes would want to Julianna down for that reason.

Pena has also has improved her striking skills in leaps and bounds. She has the same reach as Nunes, hits hard and she's good at avoiding shots on the feet. Her knee strikes in the clinch by the cage are brutal, too.

Nunes supposedly improved her cardio over the years but after seeing the GDR rematch, it's obvious that she hasn't. I think Pena could cause Nunes to gas on the feet and on the ground. This is the worst match-up for Amanda since prime Cat Zingano, in my opinion.

A treadmill.

With 2 fights in the last 3 years I completely forgot about Pena. Was high on her but she's been too inactive.

I thought Ketlen Vieira would decisively beat Aldana and then fight Nunes for the belt, but I didn't expect her to get knocked out by Aldana. That was a very impressive win for Aldana.

I personally would like to see Nunes Vs Pena; that's a fight that should have happened years ago.

I don't think Nunes would be able to do any damage to Pena on the ground: Pena's ground game is elite. She's the best in the division at fighting off her back and using the butterfly guard to sweep opponents. I don't even think Nunes would want to Julianna down for that reason.

Pena has also has improved her striking skills in leaps and bounds. She has the same reach as Nunes, hits hard and she's good at avoiding shots on the feet. Her knee strikes in the clinch by the cage are brutal, too.

Nunes supposedly improved her cardio over the years but after seeing the GDR rematch, it's obvious that she hasn't. I think Pena could cause Nunes to gas on the feet and on the ground. This is the worst match-up for Amanda since prime Cat Zingano, in my opinion.
I hope they don't rush Aldana. Give her a fight or two before Nunes. If she can beat a couple more top people, give her Amanda. I've seen Aldana before and was surprised people were sleeping on her. The announcers didn't even talk about her boxing. Her boxing (offensive and defensive) are elite for WMMA. I don't know if she has TDD to stop Amanda. GDR beats Nunes easily if she could stop a TD. This is MMA. You have to be complete to beat Nunes, she is a beast.

With 2 fights in the last 3 years I completely forgot about Pena. Was high on her but she's been too inactive.
She was inactive for a long time, but she's back now and it looks like she's really been working on her striking skills. People used to say her striking was atrocious, but it's really good now. She's not just a wrestler anymore.

I hope they don't rush Aldana. Give her a fight or two before Nunes. If she can beat a couple more top people, give her Amanda. I've seen Aldana before and was surprised people were sleeping on her. The announcers didn't even talk about her boxing. Her boxing (offensive and defensive) are elite for WMMA. I don't know if she has TDD to stop Amanda. GDR beats Nunes easily if she could stop a TD. This is MMA. You have to be complete to beat Nunes, she is a beast.
I agree. Aldana has looked good in her last two fights, but I don't know if she's ready for Amanda yet.

Also, it's interesting that people are talking about GDR not being able to stop takedowns after the Nunes fight. She actually had some of the best TDD before that fight. I think it's just that Amanda's ability to take people down is very underrated. She can take people down with ease.

Aspen for the Featherweight belt. Book that shit.

Ladd would get killed by Nunes. like literally she wouldn't last till 4th minute of first round

Pena is 1-1 in the last 3 years, no way on her.

I'd rather see Ladd or Aldana.

I'd like to see Nunes defend her 145 belt against Meegan Canderson while the 135 contenders fight each other to decide on the next sacrificial victim.

It seems I'm not the only one with that idea. The people want Nunes vs Meegan for a reason, book it Dana ;)

Honestly, I don't fucking know.

Usually when we're in the situation where we don't really have a fully viable contender for a champion, we start talking about a them moving up in weight, but she's already champion there, and there's nothing above that. Another option would be talking about the her moving down in weight, but she already beat that champion too, x2.

If this was career mode in a video game, I think we would be done folks.

God knows.

Felicia Spencer could be an option, she lost to Cyborg but she beat Megan Anderson pretty easily. Honestly Cyborg and Budd are probably the most interesting ones, but they're both in Bellator, I wonder how many fights Budd has left on her deal.

There is absolutely no-one in that weight class that can dethrone Nunes, and it would take someone like a Zhang Weili to pack on 20lbs to do it. A third Shevchenko fight would be interesting, but Shevchenko has zero interest in the fight right now, and is focused on her own division. It is rather a shame that De Randamie has such awful take down defence, and could not keep the fight on the feet, as we might have seen a new champion.

Nunes is destined to lose her next fight no matter what (I'm still shocked she made it past GDR, but whatever), and my gut tells me it's probably gonna be Irene Adelana.

Reasons pertaining to the 23 Enigma are: Irene will be 32 soon, her birthday is March 26th (3-26=23), etc. And reasons to think Amanda will lose her next fight are: It will be her 14th UFC fight (14 is a variation of 23), a loss will make her 12-2 in the UFC (subtract the double digits of 12 and it would read 3-2), it means her win streak will have began and ended with her 14th and 23rd MMA fights, Nunes herself will be 32 next year, etc.

She was inactive for a long time, but she's back now and it looks like she's really been working on her striking skills. People used to say her striking was atrocious, but it's really good now. She's not just a wrestler anymore.
How do you know? She hasn't displayed any of it in a real fight yet. You part of her team or something?

There is absolutely no-one in that weight class that can dethrone Nunes, and it would take someone like a Zhang Weili to pack on 20lbs to do it. A third Shevchenko fight would be interesting, but Shevchenko has zero interest in the fight right now, and is focused on her own division. It is rather a shame that De Randamie has such awful take down defence, and could not keep the fight on the feet, as we might have seen a new champion.
She's an idiot for continuing to throw kicks, she was easily piecing Nunes up on the feet.

Back