Who's into vintage stuff?

I love the museum feel, but I'd have to hire somebody to dust or I'd die.

Holy Shit you are not kidding. i have Lionel and Marklin trains from my grandfather that I have out in the living room displayed around the crown molding.

Took me an entire day on a ladder just to dust them alone much less anything else.

I'm definitely getting into this. Not exactly in the same way though.

I don't really buy items that look like they were built in the 1800's. But I am getting more into high quality items that last a long time, or that with skill, can be maintained. The quality aspect is also important. I'm getting tired of eating crap food, or getting a crap shave. Time to start learning some skills and getting some real tools.

Knives, zippo lighter, Dr. Martins shoes (will last a long time), straight edge razor and sharpening stones are some of the quality items/tools I have right now. I'd like to get some cast iron cookware, that lunch box looked like a cool idea, and idk.

Anyone got other tools or items that are just sturdy as hell and useful?

On a somewhat related note I've been getting into Mexican Food in a big way. Learning how to make tortillas, flavorful meat, sauces, beans, rice and more. Will be buying a volcanic Molcajete soon. Just sick of low quality crap.

I'm into the case study homes architectural design movement post WWII. I renovated my house with design elements from CSHs and the furniture is modelled after the same style. At one point I wanted to buy a case study home but aside from the practical issue of price, they are almost all located in LA and I'm not a fan of LA.

Those economics don't quite wash. The number of people on earth doesn't quite track the imperative for a given company to make something better rather than worse.

When you take the price of a (Widget X Made In 1939) and adjust it for inflation, you soon realize that consumer sentiment drives the need for garbage; we just aren't willing to spend a weeks wages on something we can get in a much lower quality form for a days wages. General shit was *a lot* more expensive back then.

Combine our relentless drive for 'cheaper' with the makers relentless drive for profit and cutting corners to save costs, the result is incredibly poorly made shit relative to the formula of years ago that emphasized quality first, then cost.

Today, it's cost first, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth- somewhere around ninety seventh comes a scant consideration for what is deemed 'quality' by todays standards, which basically amounts to ensuring the object in the package is shaped like what the consumer wants and will last just long enough to outlive the retailers return policy.

Its more complicated than what we both said but I think both are valid.

Companies have always been profit driven, and people have always wanted cheap items if possible. Now people have more disposable income and feel they need more things.

The demand gets higher, the market has grown exponentially, the internet etc.

The internet especially makes it hard to compare anything pre-internet to now.

I'm definitely getting into this. Not exactly in the same way though.

I don't really buy items that look like they were built in the 1800's. But I am getting more into high quality items that last a long time, or that with skill, can be maintained. The quality aspect is also important. I'm getting tired of eating crap food, or getting a crap shave. Time to start learning some skills and getting some real tools.

Knives, zippo lighter, Dr. Martins shoes (will last a long time), straight edge razor and sharpening stones are some of the quality items/tools I have right now. I'd like to get some cast iron cookware, that lunch box looked like a cool idea, and idk.

Anyone got other tools or items that are just sturdy as hell and useful?

On a somewhat related note I've been getting into Mexican Food in a big way. Learning how to make tortillas, flavorful meat, sauces, beans, rice and more. Will be buying a volcanic Molcajete soon. Just sick of low quality crap.

You're a lot like me. You don't want to just surround yourself with vintage stuff that looks cool. You want to surround yourself with quality things that not only look cool, but last forever.

My grandpa's garage is like a relic straight out of the 60's. It's just filled with old school tools. Stuff that is supposed to wear out like chisels and power tools are still going strong. Metal was just forged better back then and things were built with better quality specs because companies knew they would get more sales if their tools were known to be tough.

On the topic of food, I really started to enjoy black pepper on damn near anything I ate. I checked out this site called www.spicehouse.com and they have tons of different types of black peppers and any spice you can think of for no more than your average supermarket price. You can get BBQ, Mexican and Italian blends as well. I ended up buying 3 different types of black pepper along with a nice peppermill and it has made meals a lot more enjoyable. Also if you're a BBQ sauce fan, skip the junk at the store and just buy online. There are ton's of hole in the wall BBQ places online that sell their sauce and it's a million times better than the store bought junk.

Vintage is very cool.

my dad has some really cool Tonka trucks from the 50's and 60's. All metal toys, you don't see that anymore.

NOP50H-550.gif

Baseball jerseys.

I’m into vintage furniture...mid century modern danish etc...like the quality and lines. Also vintage chicks...1955 and up.

Back