Who's in the worse position?

TdotK

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The guy that's trying with all his might to get the choke, using all his arm strength, and going for the submission, or the guy that's being guillotined, and not being able to breathe as he's fighting off the submission? When fighter A survives the submission attempt, and fighter B fails the submission attempt, who comes out worse for the wear?

Good question, I think it's about the same. If I had to pick, I'd say the guy trying to secure the choke is expending more energy - at least energy that is harder to get back. Being short of breath for a few seconds is easier to recover from than putting all of your arm strength into a choke that doesn't end the fight imo

umm... borg came out ahead every time, because his chokes were so tight, herrera had to give up position to escape.

defintely the guy attacking is using more strength, if the person being attacked can remain calm then they are in a better position.

I'm sure you can find examples of both.

Remember Meisha vs Ronda ended with round 2 with Ronda trying to get a rear naked choke. Meisha looked completely gassed after that even though she survived to the bell. When she came out for 3rd round you could tell she hadn't caught her breath. She almost looked like she wanted to be submitted to be put out of her misery (comparing her submission defense/escapes before the final armbar to the rest in the fight).

Depends on the type of choke. If you don't have a guillotine Locked in the the fighter getting choked really just has to wait out the guy squeezing. A rear naked choke involves a lot more energy for defence.

That's kind of like asking, if someone is swinging a big punch, who is in the better position, the guy who dodged it or the guy who swung?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiTrok
Back