Who's fighter of the year?

Let's look at the criteria for "Fighter of the Year"...

Awarded to the leading mixed martial artist for his/her contribution to the sport both inside and outside the ring or octagon.

http://www.worldmmaawards.com/awards-criteria.php

If you're looking at inside AND outside the ring, I think the favorite at this point probably has to be Rousey.

McGregor might have a shot if he wins his fight with Aldo. Jones is dead in the water. I don't see Cerrone in the running... they've never awarded it to someone without a belt. JJ just won and defended her belt so I don't see her winning. Werdum is a long shot even if he beats Cain a 2nd time.

Biggest MMA celebrity on the planet? Elevated the sport to mainstream visibility? Dominant champion in her weight class with crushing wins?

If they're factoring more than just in ring accomplishments and level of competition, then it's hard to argue against Rousey.

Let's look at the criteria for "Fighter of the Year"...

http://www.worldmmaawards.com/awards-criteria.php

If you're looking at inside AND outside the ring, I think the favorite at this point probably has to be Rousey.

McGregor might have a shot if he wins his fight with Aldo. Jones is dead in the water. I don't see Cerrone in the running... they've never awarded it to someone without a belt. JJ just won and defended her belt so I don't see her winning. Werdum is a long shot even if he beats Cain a 2nd time.

Biggest MMA celebrity on the planet? Elevated the sport to mainstream visibility? Dominant champion in her weight class with crushing wins?

If they're factoring more than just in ring accomplishments and level of competition, then it's hard to argue against Rousey.

Beating Zingano is great. But as far as title fights
go... Bethe shouldn't have ever been close. Forget
Siver; beating Mendes is bigger than any win Ronda
has had yet. Mendes is potentially the best fighter
in the world without a belt.

Beating Zingano is great. But as far as title fights
go... Bethe shouldn't have ever been close. Forget
Siver; beating Mendes is bigger than any win Ronda
has had yet. Mendes is potentially the best fighter
in the world without a belt.

He has to beat Aldo first. If he doesn't beat Aldo then there's no way that McGregor gets fighter of the year. They just don't award it to non title holders.

Assuming the McGregor beats Aldo, I could see either of them winning. McGregor would have the edge in terms of in-ring competition. Rousey would have the edge in out of ring accomplishments.

Because I don't think Cerrone is a good fighter. I love his attitude towards MMA, the fight business and towards life in general, or atleast how he portrays his attitude, but I don't think he's that good of a fighter. I don't like his technique and shot selection. Cerrone also lost to Bendo imo.

Let Demetrious fight Dodson first. That's not an easy fight what so ever.

Demetrious's best year was 2013.

- Dodson (Fight of the Night)
- Moraga (Submission of the Night)
- Benavidez II (Knockout of the Night)

I'd say Joanna Jedrzejczyk so far.

agreeeeeeeeed.

she mauled two women like a ravenous monster (pleasing the JBG's) and made a name for herself in the MMA community overnight in a sense. Let's not forget she also converted many WMMA haters with the beauty of her fists.

vpu4p2.gif

10gh84i.gif

Because I don't think Cerrone is a good fighter. I love his attitude towards MMA, the fight business and towards life in general, or atleast how he portrays his attitude, but I don't think he's that good of a fighter. I don't like his technique and shot selection. Cerrone also lost to Bendo imo.

Even if Cerrone lost to Bendo, he'd still be 14-4 in the UFC, with wins over Eddie Alvarez, Charles Oliveria, Edson Barboza, Jeremy Stephens, Melvin Guillard, Jim Miller, Myles Jury, and the list goes on and on. He IS a good fighter.

we are still august so these are only temporary predictions.
So far, Ronda is flawless (beating cans though, but it aint her fault).
RDA and Werdum kinda shocked a lot of people, lets wait december. Conor showed good against Mendes but he depends on Aldo (where i bet my money he is losing).
Ronda is the obvious choice now, but we really need to wait.

Conor, Rousey, and Joanna: The only champs to have fought twice this year.

OTHERS SO FAR
- Frank Mir (Antonio Silva, Todd Duffee)
- Max Holloway (Cole Miller, Cub Swanson)
- Demian Maia (Ryan LaFlare, Neil Magny)
- Michael Bisping (Thales Leites, CB Dollaway)
- Tony Ferguson (Gleison Tibau, Josh Thomson)
- Dustin Poirer (Yancy Medeiros, Carlos Ferreira)
- Thomas Almeida (Yves Jabouin, Brad Pickett)
- Louis Smolka (Richie Vaculik, Neil Seery)
- Henry Cejudo (Chris Cariaso, Chico Camus)
- Shawn Jordan (Jared Cannonier, Derrick Lewis)
- Gegard Mousasi (Dan Henderson, Costas Philippou)
- Alan Jouban (Richard Walsh, Matt Dwyer)
- Miesha Tate (Sara McMann, Jessica Eye)

NEWCOMERS
- Joseph Duffy (Jake Lindsey, Ivan Jorge)
- Leon Edwards (Seth Baczynski, Pawel Pawlak)

WORST
- Lyoto Machida (-Luke Rockhold, -Yoel Romero)
- Josh Koscheck (-Jake Ellenberger, -Erick Silva)

These threads really give you a good indication of just how biased and subjective certain people are. It's amazing some of the shit you read discrediting fighters accomplishments.

Not many people mention Weidman, it's a shame he doesn't fight more. He did very well against Vitor. Could be Luke Rockhold too if he beats Weidman.

Showman of the year is Conor for sure, but I have a feeling TUF will cost him a lot of fans.

Not many people mention Weidman, it's a shame he doesn't fight more. He did very well against Vitor. Could be Luke Rockhold too if he beats Weidman.

Showman of the year is Conor for sure, but I have a feeling TUF will cost him a lot of fans.

Nobody watches TUF so I wouldnt worry about it

You know I love your peculiar style of delivering your message, but I need to disagree with the content here.

The boxing greatest will come down to one of a few guys, but Ali is only trotted out by the uneducated, great as he was. He wasn't even the HW greatest.

Actually in a way you hit the nail on the head in your post, Marciano beat fighters who were on the downslide, and that was the only way he beat the true HW GOAT, Joe Louis. I'm certainly not the only person to rate Louis above both Marciano and Ali, as detailed in: http://coxscorner.tripod.com/alilouis.html

That's a long read, but pretty well researched with many good quotes from boxing personalities.

Whats up dude? Right on. I can agree.
I personally don't put Ali over Robinson in terms of greatest,
& that's why I listed him second. But when considering he
beat frazier, moore, liston, Patterson & foreman despite
having a huge portion of his athletic prime robbed from him -
it's hard to argue the resume. & i respect the fuck out of
Ezzard charles. One of my favorite & most underrated
fighters in history... but Ali would have beaten the brakes off him.
Louis lost to him convincingly. Louis is undoubtedly top 3
HW boxers ever & probably top 3 most devastating punchers ever.
But I don't think he deserves to be above ali.

& no worries. It'll be a perfect read for a trip to the toilet. Lol
Take it easy cod

That's tough. Alot of great fighters have been in wars lately. Gun to my head..Lawler if he beats Condit.

Back