Who's career has been greater in terms of legacy, Shogun's ou Machida's? Poll Request

Nah, I call it his UFC record in which he still beat Machida twice, thats 2 times. With shot knees and aged to boot.

Let the record show that your argument hinges on an assertion that actual, real-life circumstances are not reality but that your subjective opinion is...

Prime Shogun beats Machida 99 times out of 100.......

Pre-Knee injury Shogun would tool Jones.....

Shogun won both fights with Machida.....

ANYONE that picked Machida is retarded.

ANYONE that picked Machida is retarded.

Yeah, there are a lot of newbies who have only started watching MMA the last 10 years or so. Hard to blame them when they don't know that they haven't watched enough to have an informed opinion.

Machida clearly had a more legendary career.

Shogun for sure.

People are drunk as a skunk.

Are you kidding me? Shogun should of quit years ago, he's going/gone the way of Wand.

For my money it's Machida by a mile. Shogun has had one of the most overrated careers in MMA history.

I hate to say it, but around the time Shogun fans were starting to say he was the best ever, I couldn't figure out why. He defeated Rampage and Nog, but prior to that he lost to Babalu (the much smaller Gono was his biggest accomplishment up until that point).
His 5 biggest accomplishments after that were LHW Overeem, Arona, Machida, Liddell, and Randleman (some could argue Nakamura was better than Randleman or Liddell at this time?).

Machida has consistently had to fight tougher competition in the UFC (striking is his preferred style, and he's succeeded in the org. that supposedly favors wrestlers). I think his competition has been better, especially if you look at the names on Shogun's "best accomplishmenst" list and see how they were doing around the time Shogun fought them.
I think long-time mma fans would have to admit that they weren't surprised at all (I wasn't) at how Shogun's last fight went.

I hate to say it, but around the time Shogun fans were starting to say he was the best ever, I couldn't figure out why. He defeated Rampage and Nog, but prior to that he lost to Babalu (the much smaller Gono was his biggest accomplishment up until that point).
His 5 biggest accomplishments after that were LHW Overeem, Arona, Machida, Liddell, and Randleman (some could argue Nakamura was better than Randleman or Liddell at this time?).

Machida has consistently had to fight tougher competition in the UFC (striking is his preferred style, and he's succeeded in the org. that supposedly favors wrestlers). I think his competition has been better, especially if you look at the names on Shogun's "best accomplishmenst" list and see how they were doing around the time Shogun fought them.
I think long-time mma fans would have to admit that they weren't surprised at all (I wasn't) at how Shogun's last fight went.

Machida - Shogun, Rashad, Dan (way, way past prime), (Way, way past prime Randy) and I don't even know who else to put in top5.

I didn't know those guys were so much better than Shogun's wins.

Shogun is a two hit wonder. Showed up huge in 05 and 09/10.

Machida has been a stud for over a decade.

Are people seriously picking Machida, and also saying Shogun is over rated???

Like seriously?????

REALLY????

WTF!

Just because Machida has lasted longer that doesnt mean anything. Its seriously SKEWING perception here

Shogun at or near his peak>>>>>>Machida at his peak...and its NOT EVEN CLOSE. .

as evidenced by Shogun TWICE DISMANTLING Machida

Also, Shogun does still have a wayy better resume to begin with

Bring up Machida beating Hendo all you want (it was close and to be fair Shogun in the rematch with Hendo WAS out classing and destroying Hendo like Machida never was able to) Shogun DESTROYED a PRIME Rampage (who Machida could not destroy) Shogun also has wins over Nog, Overeem, Arona etc that put most of Machida's wins to shame etc

Shogun WAS THE LHW GOAT before Jones came...where as Machida was never in the discussion and is still not.

This thread is just awful and breaks my heart. It shows why most fans are clueless and ignorant

To pick Machida over Shogun and or to say Shogun is over rated is embaressing and should be instant grounds to have your MMA card revoked.

The responses here disgust me. You all should BE ASHAMED

The one GOOD thing is that YOU will be able to seperate the real fans from the UFC newbs with this thread

Any one who picks Shogun=real fan of MMA who KNOWS the history

Anyone who picks Machida or says Shogun is over rated or that his record really isnt that great=UFC NEWB to be disregarded

Last edited:
Shogun's 2005 GP alone>>>>>>>>>anything Machida has ever done

BUT I guess because Machida is fighting weaker comp at MW and lasting longer, hes "better"/ "higher on goat rankings"

Please! Get real

Machida for me is the better fighter, but shogun has the better legacy. Shogun is undeniably the 2nd best lhw of all time

Shogun's 2005 GP alone>>>>>>>>>anything Machida has ever done

BUT I guess because Machida is fighting weaker comp at MW and lasting longer, hes "better"/ "higher on goat rankings"

Please! Get real

Fighting weaker competition? Weidman instead of OSP?

Machida for me is the better fighter, but shogun has the better legacy. Shogun is undeniably the 2nd best lhw of all time

Machisa IS NOT a better fighter. He just lasted longer. Shogun at or near his peak DISMANTLED Machida twice (in striking, in grappling) Shogun was far superior. Its a fucking shame injuries cut Shogun's prime years short

Shogun's biggest defeat WAS NEVER TO any man, IT WAS TO INJURIES

Shogun at or near his peak>>>>>>Machida at his peak...and its NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Machida has been looking better than ever and has a good chance to fight Weidman again. So there is a chance we haven't seen Machida's "peak".

Fighting weaker competition? Weidman instead of OSP?

No, I was talking about Munez and Dolloway

Chris Weidman WOULD first degree murder OSP within seconds lol. The truth is Osp is a gate keeper at best. The fact he beat Shogun like that ONLY solidifies the fact that Shogun is far far far over the hill.

Shogun was OVER THE HILL the minute he injuried his knee for a third time in the rematch with Machida

Back