Who's career has been greater in terms of legacy, Shogun's ou Machida's? Poll Request

iLikeBirds

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
They both have an history, 1-1, with one of the fights being very close, but Lyoto won.
The question here isn't about their two fights, but their career in general.

Shogun won the hardest Grand Prix ever and coming to the UFC as one of the best fighters alive.
Mauricio_Rua_vs_Antonio_RogerioNogueira_1000363.jpg

He struggled in the UFC, but then won the Gold knocking Lyoto out. Now he's racing very fast right into retirement. He's 1-4 in his last 5 and he's only 33. But his career had some glorious moments.

ufc-las-angeles-shogun-vera-20120804-03-size-598.jpg

Lyoto started MMA with 16-0, beating Rashad to won the gold. He brought Karate to MMA mainstream. Such an unique style. Has beat some great names of the sport such as Rashad, Rich, Shogun, Henderson, Mousasi, Couture, BJ, Ortiz, Etc...

Machida_Vs_Rashad-10246.jpg

He's been in the top 1-5 of his divisions for almost 6 years in a row and still counting. He is still one of the most feared and respected fighters right now, despiste his age of 36.

images

Both legends of the sport, who won the battle, who will retire with a greater career?!

anderson-silva-wanderlei-silva-lyoto-machida-shogun-rua-minotauro-nogueira.jpg

For my money it's Machida by a mile. Shogun has had one of the most overrated careers in MMA history.

I'd say Machida.

definitely Machida but Shogun is dear to our hearts because of his style and that smile.

Machida

Shogun was a top fighter for two very brief periods, and looked much worse in his losses.

Machida.

Machida vs hendo would have been a fairer comparison.

Machida and its not even close

Machida via Zuffa-Zombie memory.

Plus we have to see where Machida ends up. Hard to imagine he'll fall as hard as Shogun did. His body seems to hold up much better.

Shogun. Has won belts in both PrideFC and the UFC and in his fights with Machida he was the better one in a time that both fighters in my opinion were at the same stage of their career. I also credit his aggressive fight style which makes great fights. However, Machida comes close because of his, although sometimes boring, typical karate style which makes him unique. I think this style has enabled him to be more successful today in comparison with Shogun but based on the past Shogun is the man for me. I do not see Machida transcend his legacy in the future.

Machida has the style to last.

Shogun does not have that style.

Machida is a diesel engine, shogun a firework.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
There has never been a greater fighter than Jon Jones

Machida is a legend and Rua is a great. But aside from his 2005 run and KOing Machida, his career has been meh.

His UFC record is atrocious !

Also, Machida had a very successful pre UFC career that people forget.

------------------------------------------------------------------
There has never been a greater fighter than JOn Jones

Back