Whole Foods CEO: Store managers could be making ‘well over $100,000,’ without a college degree

i just fudge the numbers and make it sound "right"...but, in all honesty, if "academic" work isn't one's strength, it can be a real mountain to climb...school was always easy for me so i went that route

if you want to make serious money, however, go another route...the free time is the best part of my job for sure
Public university salaries are published in my state they make serious money if they're not working more than 40hr weeks.

Hope they are saving. It's not hard to be a millionaire when you retire...yet so few are and depend on social security...just $400 a month does it @7% return. Now imagine $1600 instead of a fat car payment.

they work slave hours

first job as a teenager was at trader joes...i remember them telling me "you can make as much as a college professor and come to work in shorts"...i also remember them telling me "legally, you only need to be off the clock for 6 hours"

now i'm a college professor and only work a few hours a week, full-time lol

Yep easy to make money if you want to be a slave. I laid hardwood floors 12 hrs a day in 115 degrees... ~3K a week piecework. i actually make a little less now 30 years later as a accountant/buyer. But i work from home and only 4 days a week. Of course 10% match. HC etc. whereas I was 1099 misc as a kid.

I could make more in the market but I like my free time so much I work for municipality. Some ppl live to work. Some work to live.

Last edited:
they work slave hours

first job as a teenager was at trader joes...i remember them telling me "you can make as much as a college professor and come to work in shorts"...i also remember them telling me "legally, you only need to be off the clock for 6 hours"

now i'm a college professor and only work a few hours a week, full-time lol
Lib arts?

Alright, who do I have to blow?
well, my understanding is that it's a tiered meritocracy, so you'll start blowing the thousands of cashiers and bag boys, compete against other cocksuckers and then advance up the ranks. I note that Whole Foods is focused on transparency, so my understanding is that there may be an audience and video recordings.

Given the current state of the US economy, it's a hard climb to the top. You may want to start practising at the nearest truck stop glory hole.

I find it hard to believe that a store manager makes like 9,000 or more bucks a month.
<DontBelieve1>

I am to believe that they make like 50 bucks an hour
<YeahOKJen>

I remember this story from years ago, I am confident its real because someone (ex employee) could easily come out proving it false.

An ex-girlfriend earned a BA in Social Sciences. She realized that working at Home Depot paid more than working for the state as a case worker or such. She eventually went from cashier to store manager. She would make 85-95k / year and bonus 15-25k if the store did well. She squared away the two different stores that she worked at.

Now she's a regional manager for Harbor Freight easily making over $200k / year.

Moving up the ladder is still doable within some companies.

Last edited:
I find it hard to believe that a store manager makes like 9,000 or more bucks a month.
<DontBelieve1>

I am to believe that they make like 50 bucks an hour
<YeahOKJen>
I'm a manager at a grocery store and I make about 80k a year but most of the money I make is in quarterly and year end bonuses.

I figured general managers of supermarkets were paid well. It’s a complex job, a lot of staff management, supply chain, perishable goods to deal with, all driven by concerns about sales targets. If they’re running a successful shop, no reason not to pay them competitively.

Well it only makes sense. If they want the best people they have to pay a competitive wage. It’s like how ten years or so ago public sector jobs (police, fire, streets and sanitation) realized that to get people with college degrees or military/trade experience they had to pay better.

An ex-girlfriend earned a BA in Social Sciences. She realized that working at Home Depot paid more than working for the state as a case worker or such. She eventually went from cashier to store manager. She would make 85-95k / year and bonus 15-25k if the store did well. She squared away the two different stores that she worked at.

Now she's a regional manager for Harbor Freight easily making over $200k / year.

Moving up the ladder is still doable within some companies.
Is she hot?

Back