Who You Got? YODSANKLAI vs PETCHMORRAKOT in ONE Super Series next week?

I don't think it's as stupid as you guys make it out to be. One of my flatmates tested positive for COVID-19 but everyone else in the flat tested negative despite living together. I don't think just punching someone in the mouth necessarily will transmit the virus at a high rate, but extensive cliching where the faces are extremely close to each other might be.

Keep in mind the reproduction rate per individual is not extremely high, it's the exponential growth at group level that is high. Just lowering the chance of transmission slightly can make a big difference in regards to how many people end up catching the virus.

Now i can't know for sure how much of a difference the no clinch rule will do but if there are going to be fights, i consider it better to have that rule than not to have it.
Nah, you punch someone in the mouth then bring the glove right back to touching your face and vice versa while being covered in sweat. Even just sparring with someone your going to get sweat and spit on you from your partner. The rule is dumb as hell no justification and absolutely no less of a risk without clinching. Ya I'm happy there able to fight but this makes zero difference.

I don't think it's as stupid as you guys make it out to be. One of my flatmates tested positive for COVID-19 but everyone else in the flat tested negative despite living together. I don't think just punching someone in the mouth necessarily will transmit the virus at a high rate, but extensive cliching where the faces are extremely close to each other might be.

Keep in mind the reproduction rate per individual is not extremely high, it's the exponential growth at group level that is high. Just lowering the chance of transmission slightly can make a big difference in regards to how many people end up catching the virus.

Now i can't know for sure how much of a difference the no clinch rule will do but if there are going to be fights, i consider it better to have that rule than not to have it.

In a sport environment people also tend to inhale and exhale a lot more than when at rest, meaning there's more particles flying about and you're more likely to breeze them in. Limiting the clinch to 3 seconds instead of a few more is making little to no difference. Same with them wearing masks when doing their wai kru ram muay and face off.

But I guess as long as it means we get to see fights, whatever :)

I haven't really watched the fights so i don't know how much of the difference it makes in the actual fight. Regardless, it was obvious that there would need to be some modification to justify having fights again. Tight crowds were really the biggest issue, not two fighters fighting in a big open space.

Not everything has to make sense but obviously they're doing something right in Thailand if the Corona cases are so low compared to the rest of the world :). Even just decreasing risk of transmission with, say 5 % is a significant feat.

In terms of numbness, this is nothing compared to what people are doing in the US lol

Last edited:
yod doesnt look good in last few but im root for yod anyway
:cool:

When this was announced I was thinking Petchmorakot would dominate, but Petchmorakot can get drawn into punching exchanges(see Ramazanov fight) and this is MMA gloves vs Yod. Yod is a live dog in this one for sure.
True but Yodsanklai seems to have some trouble with his legs. This might affect how fast he can recover and defend after throwing his own punches. Petchmorrakot on the other hand is really fast on his feet. If Yodsanklai wins, i think size will be the biggest factor. Petchmorrakot just doesn't have very powerful kicks, especially not against someone the size of Yodsanklai.

Not everything has to make sense but obviously they're doing something right in Thailand if the Corona cases are so low compared to the rest of the world :).

I wouldn't believe the Thai numbers. At the start of the pandemic they were one of the first infected countries and their number of cases stayed at 80 cases for ages while the numbers for countries like Iran and Italy went through the roof.

I'm sorry but for a country this close to China which has so many worldwide tourists and which didn't close its borders to Chinese tourists or other tourists, I don't believe they've only had 3k cases and 58 dead, or that they only have 2 to 4 cases a day now. I don't think they're really able to keep a good tracking of infected and dead to be honest.

I wouldn't believe the Thai numbers. At the start of the pandemic they were one of the first infected countries and their number of cases stayed at 80 cases for ages while the numbers for countries like Iran and Italy went through the roof.

I'm sorry but for a country this close to China which has so many worldwide tourists and which didn't close its borders to Chinese tourists or other tourists, I don't believe they've only had 3k cases and 58 dead, or that they only have 2 to 4 cases a day now. I don't think they're really able to keep a good tracking of infected and dead to be honest.
I don't believe the official numbers either, of course they are higher than the official numbers. But if you look at the excessive death rate in Thailand it's still very low.

I would consider the limited clinch to be "dumb as fuck" if it was the only, or one of the few precautive measures implemented, or if it would have very bad consequences for the sport. Although it seems very likely it will not have any impact on the transmission of the virus, at least there is really more to be gained than to be lost from such a rule.

First of all, the chance that either of the fighters has the virus at all is probably low. Second, we don't know the frequency of transmission in Muay Thai fights. If one of the fighters has the virus, will it transmit 99 % of the times? 50 %? 10%? At this point we simply don't know.

Two things to consider: 1) the time spent close to someone that's infected, and 2) the size of the viral load that's inhaled by the other person.

It seems reasonable to assume that time spent close to someone is positively correlated to the size of the viral load. Furthermore, the size of the viral load transmitted may affect the immune system's capacity to handle the virus.

Some people here pointed out that the rule is dumb because you will punch someone on the mouth either way. However, does this mean that regardless of limited clinch rules or not, the viral load will be exactly the same? To me it seems perfectly logical that clinching less will tend to transmit a smaller viral load in general. Maybe it doesn't but given that we don't really know, it's worth a try at least. People said masks were inneffective because they don't block the virus, but now most researchers seem to believe even masks are not effective at individual level, they will reduce transmissiong reatly at population level.

The Sports Authority of Thailand, basically the national athletic commission has banned clinching in Muay Thai to "stop the spread of Covid." They call it the "New Normal" rule but it's only supposed to be temporary. It's an idiotic rule and we can't do anything about it. Some refs follow the rule super closely and break the clinch immediately, most just let it go on for like 5 seconds.
Edit: Since this event is under their jurisdiction, I think ONE have to follow the rule for MT.

I don't think it makes much of a difference since MT fights in ONE rarely have extended clinching anyway, almost all clinches get broken up after a few seconds or a few strikes are landed.

Petchmorrakot all day for me. He’s looked amazing recently and Yodsanklai is clearly declining.

Yodsanklai looks to be in good shape, better than i expected. Still favoring Petchmorrakot though

wow yod look so slim i hope he doesnt tired or anything

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back