Who would have won if Cain and DC had ever fought?

cigano

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Ignoring the fact they're like brothers etc.

Who do you think was the better fighter during their primes?

Very tough to call. I'd go with Cain.

Tough to say, but I'd favor DC. Cain's best wins were 2x over JDS, and a win over Big Nog. DC had wins over Mir, Barnett, and Big Country before making the move to LHW, where he took out Rumble x2, Gus, Hendo, and Anderson Silva (though the value of this win was not what it would've been years prior)...then he moves back up and beats Stipe and the Black Beast. DC's wins are more impressive and he never caught the injury bug like Cain did. Even in their primes, DC was the better wrestler, had better subs, and the only area where Cain would've had an advantage was in the stand up.

Jon Fitch: Cain Velasquez beats AKA teammate Daniel Cormier in UFC heavyweight fight

"[Cormier] is not a true heavyweight. He might be 225, 230 soaking wet. He's not a heavyweight. He's so good as an athlete and a fighter that he can get away with beating heavyweights up, but he's not a true heavyweight. Just based on size, you have two guys who are equally skilled, equal work ethic, equal punching power, equal everything, you're going to put your money on the guy who weighs more."

DC said that Cain almost always got the better of him in their epic sparring wars back in their prime. DC had a slight wrestling edge, but Cain was the better striker.
Wasn't Cain the more experienced mixed martial artist at that point though?

Prime for prime might make a difference.

Wasn't Cain the more experienced mixed martial artist at that point though?

Prime for prime might make a difference.
Yeah, I'm just going off what DC said in interviews back in the early AKA gym sparring days. I actually think DC was the better overall fighter in the cage, looking at their respective careers.

Cain by being naturally bigger, better cardio and sizeable reach advantage.

The Cain that mauled Noguira, Lesnar, JDS etc. I don't think i'd pick anyone over that version.

Jon Fitch: Cain Velasquez beats AKA teammate Daniel Cormier in UFC heavyweight fight

"[Cormier] is not a true heavyweight. He might be 225, 230 soaking wet. He's not a heavyweight. He's so good as an athlete and a fighter that he can get away with beating heavyweights up, but he's not a true heavyweight. Just based on size, you have two guys who are equally skilled, equal work ethic, equal punching power, equal everything, you're going to put your money on the guy who weighs more."

Which is a pretty weird thing to say considering DC fought at a higher weight at HW than Cain albeit not by a lot. He says "money on the guy who weighs more", i'm going to go ahead with he just didn't know the exact numbers. I wouldn't even have a problem with him saying Cain in the bigger guy because of his frame, i'm just nitpicking a bit.

I’d say Cain but would have been an epic fight

Dc says Cain but what's he gonna say?, then again, you never hear Cain saying dc...
I don't know hw mma hasn't evolved much but I'm pretty confident we seen an evolution with one fight being Jones at hw. I'd pick him over both at hw, which is just ridiculous when you think about it. I hope we get a few more fights from a hw jj.
Cain and DC definitely top 5 hws too . Legends

The Cain that mauled Noguira, Lesnar, JDS etc. I don't think i'd pick anyone over that version.
He did look great in those fights but DC would’ve probably beat those guys too. He is just one of those guys that you always think he can’t win but then he does. He’s kind of like prime fedor in that regard.

so I’ve learned my lesson betting against DC. That dude has incredible heart.

He did look great in those fights but DC would’ve probably beat those guys too. He is just one of those guys that you always think he can’t win but then he does. He’s kind of like prime fedor in that regard.

so I’ve learned my lesson betting against DC. That dude has incredible heart.

Absolutely agree. I would totally not write DC off, it's a tough pick, it's just gun to my head i'd have to pick Cain is all.

Back