Who would be down with a 2-3 month "off season?"

funny you mention this OP. I was thinking about it a couple weeks ago. I think it's a really good idea for the fans and performers. the wrestlers get to heal up some persistent injuries and the fans get to cool down for a bit and come back with a renewed vigor. It would never happen though too many millions of dollars lost in profits.

I don't think there has to be that much lost profits. They could have nxt shows on in the regular shows place, and/or some other original programming.

I don't think there has to be that much lost profits. They could have nxt shows on in the regular shows place, and/or some other original programming.
Yeah but you need the WWE network to get NXT right? A significant portion of the casual audience doesn’t subscribe to the network and also it’s just NXT. Save for the more serious fans a lot of people don’t watch NXT. Sponsors revenue would be lost and ticket sales would be non existent. Also merchandise sales would be affected, casuals that go to the shows typically buy their shirts and belts at the arena.

Yeah but you need the WWE network to get NXT right? A significant portion of the casual audience doesn’t subscribe to the network and also it’s just NXT. Save for the more serious fans a lot of people don’t watch NXT. Sponsors revenue would be lost and ticket sales would be non existent. Also merchandise sales would be affected, casuals that go to the shows typically buy their shirts and belts at the arena.

Sometimes only shooting for short term profits doesn't work long-term. If it would help the product, which I think it would, it would be good. Take nxt off the network and put it in the networks for the 10 weeks.. Or 7 of the 10 weeks, with the other 3 weeks being surprise ppvs and memorable shows from the past played in their entirety.. Including Benoit. Sad as it may be, a raw with beniot probably gets higher ratings than what they are doing now.

If I worked for wwe, I could help to manage this.

It is idiotic to think 2-3 months off would in any way improve the quality of the shitty writing.

With the product they put on people wouldn't even bother tuning back in if they took a month off. What exactly do the writers write? Wrestler A wants Wrestler Bs belt because why? And then they make us watch them 6-7 weeks straight of matches with no angles that build nowhere then put the same match on the ppv.

With the product they put on people wouldn't even bother tuning back in if they took a month off. What exactly do the writers write? Wrestler A wants Wrestler Bs belt because why? And then they make us watch them 6-7 weeks straight of matches with no angles that build nowhere then put the same match on the ppv.
That's now.

Maybe they could get creative.

That's now.

Maybe they could get creative.

Ignoring any other possible issues (primarily the networks objecting), I think creatively it could be a big help. TV shows are generally written with a season story arc in mind. Movies are written with an ending in mind. With WWE, individual storylines end, but then there's another 5 hours of live TV the next week, so everything just has to keep on churning forward. A break could give the writers a direct focus, knowing they have X number of weeks/shows to get to the climaxes that they need or cliffhangers that they want to leave until the next season. Then they'd get 2-3 months to review what worked well, what didn't, and plan out the first quarter of the coming season.

Ignoring any other possible issues (primarily the networks objecting), I think creatively it could be a big help. TV shows are generally written with a season story arc in mind. Movies are written with an ending in mind. With WWE, individual storylines end, but then there's another 5 hours of live TV the next week, so everything just has to keep on churning forward. A break could give the writers a direct focus, knowing they have X number of weeks/shows to get to the climaxes that they need or cliffhangers that they want to leave until the next season. Then they'd get 2-3 months to review what worked well, what didn't, and plan out the first quarter of the coming season.

Absolutely. It would give them time to write contingencies as well.

I think it would be fantastic. Here's 10 reasons-------

1. The writers could write better stories, with better contingencies when injuries occur..

2. The wrestlers could avoid a bit of burn out, and recharge, and have a period of normal life.

3. Minor surgeries could be scheduled around the break.

4. Guys/girls could off-cycle.

5. A couple chosen wrestlers could get a show for the break; while others could do movies or wtevr.

6. Fans could get hungry for the product/there could be big cliff hangers with time for fans to get hyped.

7. In the 10 week off-season, they could replay some of the better attitude era shows, and even old ppvs.. Which would just be cool, and would be a sort of commercial for the network.

8. The guys could take acting classes, and flesh out characters they are going to use for the upcoming year.

9. Some great promos and bits could be filmed ahead of time, and done right.

10. New talent could be scouted more thoroughly.

It just looks on the surface like the show has almost run over itself. The writing can't catch up. I would be a great writer, but I don't think I could do anywhere near the best having to just throw stuff together every week. They need better outlines ahead of time.

Anybody else think this would benefit the product? All other sports have one; and it sure as hell doesn't kill the interest. Kind of the opposite
WWE has to allow its fans to miss/crave WWE a bit. It’s oversaturated. 2 shows per week, one being THREE hours long (this is the length of most PPVs!), it’s own online network, a Divas show, 12+ PPVs per year, and way too many performers.

The old model of 4 PPVs per year truly had fans anxiously waiting to see feuds climax in a big event. The feuds lasted much longer in between PPVs, so the stories had time to marinate and resonate with fans.

Also, once kayfabe was completely tossed out the window, people couldn’t help but lose interest. I mean, when was the last time we saw a true feud like Hogan vs. Slaughter, Hogan vs. Warrior, Stone Cold vs. The Rock, etc.?

It really sucks because the athletes of today are leaps and bounds more athletic than the superstars of yesterday.

I continue to watch, and continue to hope that the precocious model is readapted.

Sigh.

WWE has to allow its fans to miss/crave WWE a bit. It’s oversaturated. 2 shows per week, one being THREE hours long (this is the length of most PPVs!), it’s own online network, a Divas show, 12+ PPVs per year, and way too many performers.

The old model of 4 PPVs per year truly had fans anxiously waiting to see feuds climax in a big event. The feuds lasted much longer in between PPVs, so the stories had time to marinate and resonate with fans.

Also, once kayfabe was completely tossed out the window, people couldn’t help but lose interest. I mean, when was the last time we saw a true feud like Hogan vs. Slaughter, Hogan vs. Warrior, Stone Cold vs. The Rock, etc.?

It really sucks because the athletes of today are leaps and bounds more athletic than the superstars of yesterday.

I continue to watch, and continue to hope that the precocious model is readapted.

Sigh.
I think 7 ppvs is good, and 3 of them should be on actual ppv. Having the ppvs on the network, with people just watching on their devices, alone, its killed the build up to ppvs that existed even 5 years ago. The ppvs are nothing now.

I think 7 ppvs is good, and 3 of them should be on actual ppv. Having the ppvs on the network, with people just watching on their devices, alone, its killed the build up to ppvs that existed even 5 years ago. The ppvs are nothing now.
Is this some kind of running joke? Let the god damn thread die already Broski Boot!

Is this some kind of running joke? Let the god damn thread die already Broski Boot!
The product could die if it keeps going like it has. My kids have completely lost interest. Just sayin..

Back